• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 to be revealed this year!?

JJD

One of the few MS exclusives that could make me insta buy the 720! Hope for a next gen. announcement.

Man all this talk has me excited again. If they truly announce part 2 this year. It will hands down be my most awaited game till release!

Lakitu

st5fu
How does American Nightmare compare to the original? Honestly, besides some repetitive combat (which felt a lot better in the DLCs), the original is pretty much brilliant for Remedy fans like myself.

As for the sequel, hopefully we can get a jump in quality that's similar to Max Payne --> Max Payne 2.

Karak

How does American Nightmare compare to the original? Honestly, besides some repetitive combat (which felt a lot better in the DLCs), the original is pretty much brilliant for Remedy fans like myself.

As for the sequel, hopefully we can get a jump in quality that's similar to Max Payne --> Max Payne 2.

Personally I adored it. And I am a fan such as yourself.

Did the original game even sell well enough to warrant a sequel? I thought it sold quite poorly.
Strangely enough there is a large and growing list of games that don't sell so well that see or get the possible greenlight for sequels. There are various reasons for this including the belief that a sequel can make up the difference between the first games loss and a second games gain. Strangely enough though money is 1 driver, the industry is rife with stories of devs pushing an idea for years and getting a sequel made despite pressure to do something else. MS has a great deal of faith in Alan Wake.

You can bet your bottom dollar that a giant amount of that faith is in the possible movie rights. Yes this is discussed often and is a huge argument shifter at times in companies. MS is making a big push to not just do games and various movie rights to a couple of their games have been discussed. Sony, MS, and I am sure Nintendo all see this as a valid extension and audience shifter. MS was too greedy with Halo's rights. Hopefully they have learned a lesson as an Alan Wake movie, short, or TV show might be interesting. To me at least.

Goldrush

Found Alan Wake tedious, but absolutely adore American Nightmare. Honestly, it's a completely different game. Your enjoyment of the original is probably not a good indicator of American Nightmare. It abandons all attempt at horror and went for a folk-sy, cheeky atmosphere. Beside survival horror, it's all out action.

derFeef

It's a small sidestory, maybe the size of two episodes, but keep in mind you are not getting much variety out of it. I really liked it though even if it dropped parts of Alan Wake I really missed. The FMV stuff and the whole Twilight Zone vibe is fantastic, combat is superb too.

Basically if you like Alan Wake it's worth trying.

American Nightmare was fantastic... I kinda hoped there would be more Night Springs "episodes" like American Nightmare. That would have been cool.

It was also nice to see that Alan had chilled out a little upon his return. I suppose you get used to the madness and all that.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
It's about time that they reveal Alan Wake 2 at last. I really want to see if they will further Lovecraft the world with the monsters and the evil things that lurk beyond the dark realm, in full further technical goodness!

I just hope it's not too uncanny. I can't watch LA Noire stuff, it melts my brain, it's awful.
I would prefer a good stylized facial animation like for example in the Uncharted games, or Halo 4. It's not realistic, but it really works for me.
It can't get more uncanny than this:

creepy9aqob.jpg

I'm glad they sticked to mostly FMVs of their actors on American Nightmare. This scene for example actually touched me a little bit, this wouldn't have happened with AW1 level of facial animations.

I just hope they are not bullshitting with their new tech. Right before release of AW1 one of the devs mocked HR's facial animations and said they could do a better job. The facial animations in HR were not that amazing either, but still miles ahead of Alan Wake.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Open world or bust.

Sure. And while we're at it un-cancel Dead Rush.

If it releases in winter I would love one with a good blizzard like mechanic. Snow and darkness mixed together. Bright Falls would be fine but due to the story he could go anywhere.

I wanted this game on the Wii when it was called Winter. Also cancelled. :(

It can't get more uncanny than this:

I'm glad they sticked to mostly FMVs of their actors on American Nightmare. This scene for example actually touched me a little bit, this wouldn't have happened with AW1 level of facial animations.

I just hope they are not bullshitting with their new tech. Right before release of AW1 one of the devs mocked HR's facial animations and said they could do a better job. The facial animations in HR were not that amazing either, but still miles ahead of Alan Wake.
They should get Ilka Villi back with the rest of the actors and do actual acted out FMVs for the cutscenes.

Though I'd settle for more manic Mr Scratch monologues on TVs. Villi was obviously having a ball during those.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Art direction wise, Alan Wake was fucking jawdropping. I really loved the Pacific Northwest, so I hope that at least part of the next game still takes place in there. Best forests ever.

derFeef

They should get Ilka Villi back with the rest of the actors and do actual acted out FMVs for the cutscenes.

Though I'd settle for more manic Mr Scratch monologues on TVs. Villi was obviously having a ball during those.

I love the FMV in AWAN but I would prefer everything in-engine as far as story cutscenes go. Of course we need some crazy TV series ala Adress Unknown or Night Springs.

Alan Wake was a game that I barely knew the background behind for years following its 2005 announcement, and that continued when they re-revealed it before its actual release. My interest in it grew leading up to its actual release, but the side by side release of it and RDR made me have to choose RDR over it at the time. I rented it shortly after during that summer, and it became the biggest surprise of the gen for me.

I loved the atmosphere, the story, the characterizations, the gameplay, the music, everything! It was like the game was made for me. And my appreciation of it grew through subsequent playthroughs attempting (and succeeding) at getting all of the achievements just because I didn't want to leave that world.

When they announced a PC port, I knew I had to get it. I bought it immediately when it came out because it felt like I owed it to Remedy for creating such a great game and experience. I didn't even have a capable PC at the time.

American Nightmare was fantastic as well. It was a great companion piece/continuation of the first game.

I'll buy a 720 specifically for AW2 with no doubt in my mind. As long as Remedy and Poets of the Fall are involved, I will buy anything they make. Having Ilkka Villi is just an added bonus. I NEED this game.

Can this be done in AWAN PC?
yep! you need a 360 pad though (in both games). use the launch option -freecamera and then click in the right thumbstick on the pad to activate it. B and X change the scale (the default is a bit fast) and A and Y change your elevation. the left stick controls it's movement and the right stick controls where it's looking.

one of those shots I put up was an AWAN shot, the one outside the motel.

Hypron

I don't want open world at all. The "wide linear" approach as mentioned would be perfect.

Plus, I love the "road trip" idea, but I can see why some wouldn't. I just think it's an idea that might actually be perfectly tailored for Alan Wake. His metaphorical journey back to the real world (if AN is not that and is just a dream, temporary thing) could literally be an epic odyssey back home to his great love.

Same. I don't get why people want everything to be open world.

Ramon3MR

Neo Member
I'd be surprised if we didn't hear something about a sequel at E3 this year. Speaking of which; gotta book my hotel already before they're all out lol.

Isak_Borg

If AW2 isn't a launch title, is anyone gonna just not get the 720 till it's announced?

I only bought my 360 for Alan Wake pretty much.

I'm buying a 720 no matter what but I'm hoping for an Alan Wake 2 as a launch title. Probably my favorite game of this generation and one of the best I've played in my entire life & I've been gaming since '85.

Alan Wake was actually my favorite single player game this generation. The story and gameplay and the atmosphere was amazing. I didn't get to play it enough because I borrowed it but I love the game and finished it in less than 3 days on my first run.

I do hope they make Alan Wake 2.

Bluth54

Alan Wake is also one of my favorite games of the generation, though I plan on just waiting for the PC release of Alan Wake 2 since I'm not really interested in any of Microsoft's other franchises.

derFeef

Also Remedy is hiring like crazy. Does it mean it's early, or they just need more guys? I am not sure how the games industry works, and they surely only work on this one big game. But why would you need more than one Lead Artist, for example?

http://remedygames.com/recruit/

I really want an Alan Wake 2, but I'd be more than happy to wait until next gen for it - the original looked absolutely stunning, so who knows how a beefed up version could look.

I hope they retain the linear approach though. Alan Wake did a fantastic job of guiding the player through fantastic looking environments which felt so much bigger than they were, the whole world felt interconnected (especially with the radio station).

I wasn't as thrilled with American Nightmare and haven't actually finished it, but maybe that's because I loved the foreboding atmosphere of the original. The gunplay is fun, but I don't think it suits a more action packed atmosphere in it's present form - enjoyed the combat in the original so much more, just felt more threatening and menacing.

Fireblend

Banned
Fuck yeah. Bring it, Remedy. AW and AN were brilliant, IMO. Great gameplay, enjoyable story and the battle mechanics only got better in the sequel. Can't wait.

Top Bottom