• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake PC FAQ

Mr_Zombie

It's the SD-like resolution that ruined the textures rather than a lack of inherent detail.

I hope that's the case because sometimes textures were really, really bad. Even Alan's hair looked bad :/.

They should have released it for PC at the time or not at all.

How about you don't buy the game and pretend it isn't on PC while the rest of us enjoy playing it in February?
Yeah, they made a faux pas with the "comfy couch" comment, but that was long time ago and they were subordinated to Microsoft (since it was the corporation that funded the game and made it possible to release it). They are releasing the game on PC now and that's what's important.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gotta double dip so I can appreciate some of the best lighting in any game released ever in proper 1080p + 60 fps. Dat forests is gonna look amazingggggg.

Plus they have said pretty much all the right things you can say about a port.

Awesome to see the game still supporting quad-cores like originally intended for PCs. It's amazing despite how long quadcores have been, gaming as been mostly restricted to take advantage of mostly dualcore CPUs on PC.

Markus admitted that being a PC-only developer can easily lead to laziness, and developing for the 360 has improved the efficiency of Alan Wake tremendously. With that said, Markus expects the visual and gameplay experience to be identical on the Xbox 360 and the PC when Alan Wake ships, hopefully without any in-game load screens.

Last time I checked being a PC-only developer means your game has to:

a. Have novel concepts (various puzzle games, Sanctum, etc.)

or

b. Be a technical marvel, and you need a very talented team for that e.g. Witcher 2

Also, you need to bug-test your game hard, and provide support, as the market is smaller. Or you can make it as Bethesda, release X360/PC version + broken PS3 version.

I'll just say my personal opinion is that we aren't going crazy with the price. Yeah, buy a 360 token on Ebay and sure you will be able to get the game cheaper (although without DLCs).

I'll be clear - The Writer and The Signal are included always and do not need to be purchased separately.

The download size is larger than 360 for a few reasons reasons
1) All audio files are uncompressed - we have the memory on PC and don't need to stream from DVD. This adds about 1.3GB over the 360 version.
2) The DLCs are included.
3) Where we save (about 700MB) is that you only only have to download the localized languages you want the game to run in. (But every language is available for everyone, and can be downloaded from Steam)

Kinda want to double dip for the eye candy but after playing the game + all DLC on the 360 I'm utterly sick of it and don't want to touch it ever again. It was a great game until I had done the same thing over and over.

Maybe when it's dirt cheap.

The FAQ has been updated:

- XP support confirmed officially
- HD3D tested with no success

Here are the changes:

Will it support Windows XP?

Yes. We have finished our testing and are satisfied the game works well, assuming the users' systems are configured correctly (we detected some audio configuration problems during testing but nothing that can't be worked around easily).

Will Alan Wake PC support Stereoscopic 3D?

We have internally tested that the game works with NVISION 3D very nicely. It is fairly performance heavy though so a high end GPU such as the GeForce 580GTX and moderate graphics settings are recommended.

Remedy has not been able to test AMD HD3D (we spent some time trying), but AMD has access to the build and we are hoping they can confirm whether it works or not.

scitek

I own it on 360, but with the DLC included I'll likely buy this and get American Nightmare on the 360 with a 1600 points card I have lying around.

have they talked about how aiming will work in the PC version with kb/m?

on 360, you half-pressed the left trigger to aim and fully pressed it to "focus" your flashlight beam. sometimes you didn't want to do that to conserve energy. I'm guessing right click aims and another button is to focus it. Or they do it like Splinter Cell PC, where mouse wheel changes the flashlight intensity.

even if I rebuy it, it might be a game I play with a 360 controller. for a game that's not a heavy shooter the aiming controls were incredibly tight.

Sh1ner

have they talked about how aiming will work in the PC version with kb/m?

on 360, you half-pressed the left trigger to aim and fully pressed it to "focus" your flashlight beam. sometimes you didn't want to do that to conserve energy. I'm guessing right click aims and another button is to focus it. Or they do it like Splinter Cell PC, where mouse wheel changes the flashlight intensity.

even if I rebuy it, it might be a game I play with a 360 controller. for a game that's not a heavy shooter the aiming controls were incredibly tight.

DID ANYONE ELSE KNOW THIS? Did this make a difference in gameplay????

scitek

In Splinter Cell you roll the mouse wheel to control Sam's walking speed. It worked well enough since you're always crouched and moving slowly, but I don't know how well something like that would work with situations that need split-second reaction time.

nono I didn't mean there was a flashlight intensity in Splinter Cell. I worded it poorly.

Splinter Cell got over the analog problem by having the scroll wheel change Sam's movement speed in minor increments. You could gradually move slower or faster by scrolling down or up. It was a nice solution for a game that really relied on an analog stick.

Sh1ner

nono I didn't mean there was a flashlight intensity in Splinter Cell. I worded it poorly.

Splinter Cell got over the analog problem by having the scroll wheel change Sam's movement speed in minor increments. You could gradually move slower or faster by scrolling down or up. It was a nice solution for a game that really relied on an analog stick.

Oh yea I remember incremental movement speed. THanks for the clarification guys.

I have to say the game is starting to look pretty good with NVISION 2 3D, higher quality volumetric lights, always enabled god rays with high quality (these were enabled on the 360 in only a few specific scenes due to perf issues), 8xAA, 8xAniso, FXAA, ultra high quality SSAO, longer LOD distances etc.

While we still have a lot of work left, we're also getting confident we can hit our target date now (we were less sure a few weeks ago).

SmokyDave

Can't wait. My system will monster the game and the 360 pad is supported!

Playing through the 360 version this week and I can't believe how good it still looks. Can't wait to see it in it's true glory. No HUD mode sounds hot.

Cdammen

This PC release is sounding great! I didn't expect them to include all of the DLC content. This will be glorious, can't wait to replay it with everything cranked up.

18e10.jpg

8b161.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Damn this is shaping up to be a magnificent port.

+1 respeck for actually increasing the LOD distance, something that becomes much more obvious at actual HD resolutions such as 1080p.

i really hope this works out nicely in 3D for those of us over on the AMD side, but i'm double dipping eitherway. whether it hits before Nightmare or not, i'll be in the mood for replaying it :)

theBishop

Banned
Does it make me a fanboy that the PC announcement has me re-excited for this game? I soured on the 360 version after low-8 reviews and the sub-HD analysis.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The PC version only improves one of your mentioned points, though ;) The game is the game.

Fuck I loved it, the more I think about it the more I realize how much I enjoyed the game. Really looking forward to this, I almost don't want to call it : port. By the looks of it this seems like the definitive version and anything but a sloppy port, I just deeply hope that there won't be any performance "issues" or the game running poorly in general given the most likely small time/budget they have allocated for it.

Top Bottom