• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake PC | Tech, performance and information thread

Megasoum

Banned
I absolutely agree.

I remember playing this on my 360 when it came out, and the atmosphere in those woods was amazing.

This and Amnesia are the only games that have been scary imo. At least in this generation.

(Although Amnesia is much more so)

Yup, chapter 3 is incredible when you see the cops flashlight everywhere in the woods and the car lights in the distance and the cops shooting flares in the sky.

Simply amazing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm super impressed with the visuals in this game on PC. It just looks absolutely incredible with everything moving around at 60 fps.

P7m0S.jpg

BgPhY.jpg

6ywGt.jpg

Just finished The Signal. It was... sub-par. Remedy really phoned it in.
Yeah, but The Writer is fantastic!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm super impressed with the visuals in this game on PC. It just looks absolutely incredible with everything moving around at 60 fps.

P7m0S.jpg

BgPhY.jpg

6ywGt.jpg

If there's one thing I'll never tire of, it's the lighting. Even just dropping a flare, with the light ascending through the smoke and painting the area with an eery red glow, sending shadows darting about the place, is a sight to behold.

Yeah, I just started it tonight. In the opening ten minutes (which is all I've played) there's more creativity displayed with the words->objects mechanic than in the entirety of The Signal.

Fezan

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/P7m0S.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://i.imgur.com/BgPhY.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://i.imgur.com/6ywGt.jpg[/IMG]

I really love this game graphically now but those animation and lips sync breaks my heart.
You have wonderful looking scenery and great character model with beautiful lightning and when he tries to jump over ledges or do other stuff like turning on light without even touching the button or opening door it takes me out of the atmosphere :(
Also the expansion pack i have played for the first time are disappointing story wise.Plot dosent move a bit beside a single addition with hint to sequel

Accoun

*cough* Don't really want to read all of the thread, but is Steam required for the retail version or is it stand-alone?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think the lighting may be a bit broken on my computer. There have been three distinct sequences when character dialogue talked about the room being too dark (and the flashlight came on in two of them), but the room as actually very bright in my game (early game restaurant sequence on your way to the bathroom, first arrival at the cabin when you're trying to turn on the power, and when the power goes out in your New York apartment).

The room is seriously pretty bright in these sequences, and I don't think it's supposed to be that way. Are there any known graphical issues with ATI cards? I'm running a Radeon 5870. The game looks and runs pretty well otherwise.

Oh, wow, my game is definitely all kinds of fucked up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=331H-26Ycc4

Fast forward to around 17:00. The restaurant was all blown out and bloomy bright in my game, and that hallway wasn't dark at all...

Ugh, I want to find a fix for this and restart the game now. Missed out on all kinds of spooky atmosphere...

derFeef

Zefah, if you have AA forced within your drivers, the game's lighting goes all weird. I had the same trouble - reset drivers (or 3d game settings within the drivers) to default and it should look normal again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zefah, if you have AA forced within your drivers, the game's lighting goes all weird. I had the same trouble - reset drivers (or 3d game settings within the drivers) to default and it should look normal again.

I don't recall messing around in the CCC, but I'll try updating my drivers and setting them to default settings tonight. Thanks!

OK, this game is my new 3D-showcase. It's incredible.

And it becomes really scary. Playing this on a 100"+ 3D screen is like playing a completely different game from the 360 version. I keep staring at the environment in awe.

Seeing your light stretching for literally dozens of meters away from you, becoming a tiny spot in the distant mist is breathtaking. I'm sorry for the hyperbole but it is that good. And everytime you're busy admiring some scarce light filtering through fog and trees, one of those fuckers comes out of nowhere and starts rushing at you and you see it getting closer and closer. Priceless.

Those of you with an HMZ from Sony (or any other good 3D setup) need to buy and play this right now. I really wish there was a way of showing everyone how good this looks on a good 3D setup. DAT MOONLIGHT THROUGH THOSE TREES.

*dies*

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, I finished The Writer yesterday and it certainly is better than The Signal. The latter felt like a rushed continuation of the final level of Alan Wake proper for the sake of DLC, and while neither advance the plot in any meaningful fashion, the former does a better job of retelling what is essentially the same story and is far more fleshed out from a gameplay perspective - there's some intriguing creativity on display with the objects->words mechanic and level design in general. All aspects considered, The Writer renders The Signal completely redundant.

Tenck

What do you do when you run out of bullets? Just run to the light?

Also, don't know if the game is trying to scare the shit out of me (I suspect it is a bit), but man oh man, even dodging an attack makes me jump a bit :p

I love it so much!!

Also, just hearing the possessed people or the camera focusing on them gets my heart beats going up a bit :)

So far I am loving the game. One thing I dislike though (not just this game) is those stories that usually has you go somewhere and when you tell someone else, they're like "Oh that place has been closed/gone for years. Wtf are you on?!?!"

I hope people understand what I am trying to say.

Zimbardo

so still no Nvidia SLI support for this game? from what i've seen so far, there isn't.

i'll buy the game on pc when that is supported ...otherwise there's no point for me. i already bought the game on xbox for $19 a couple years ago ...so if i can't get 60fps @ 1080p, i'll hold off.

i have 2 gtx560 cards, and if i can't use SLI properly, then i'm stuck with the performance of one ...which is rather low when looking at the benchmarks here.

Neiteio

What do you do when you run out of bullets? Just run to the light?

Also, don't know if the game is trying to scare the shit out of me (I suspect it is a bit), but man oh man, even dodging an attack makes me jump a bit :p

I love it so much!!

Also, just hearing the possessed people or the camera focusing on them gets my heart beats going up a bit :)

So far I am loving the game. One thing I dislike though (not just this game) is those stories that usually has you go somewhere and when you tell someone else, they're like "Oh that place has been closed/gone for years. Wtf are you on?!?!"

I hope people understand what I am trying to say.
Are you just on Chapter 1? It's only like that for awhile...

Finished the game over the weekend, btw, and wow, what an ending. Does the last line mean that Alan Wake 2 will be
The Return
? I haven't played the two included DLC episodes yet; I know The Signal is more action-oriented and The Writer has stronger story points, and it sounds like both continue from the end of the main game...

Proelite

I have just started chapter 5 and this game is the best I've played in a LONG LONG time. Some of the first 3 chapters were tedious but it really picks up in the 4th chapter. The farm scene in chapter 4 pushed this into my top 5 games of all time territory.

frontieruk

so still no Nvidia SLI support for this game? from what i've seen so far, there isn't.

i'll buy the game on pc when that is supported ...otherwise there's no point for me. i already bought the game on xbox for $19 a couple years ago ...so if i can't get 60fps @ 1080p, i'll hold off.

i have 2 gtx560 cards, and if i can't use SLI properly, then i'm stuck with the performance of one ...which is rather low when looking at the benchmarks here.

Reading the roadmap sli support seems to be the aim of next patch.

I absolutely agree.

I remember playing this on my 360 when it came out, and the atmosphere in those woods was amazing.

This and Amnesia are the only games that have been scary imo. At least in this generation.

(Although Amnesia is much more so)

We have a lot of those dark pine forests like in Alan Wake here in Norway and I've been out in them a few times when I was younger at night. It really is creepy and you get the sense of being very small. I think Alan Wake captures this loneliness and sense of size perfectly. Combined with the trees blowing in the wind and creepy noises.

Fur_Q

http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=7978
Update 2 (ie. v1.03) now released. Lots of fixes here and there.

A Future Update
On our radar, but hasn't been evaluated how much work these are, and we continue to prioritize based on feedback.
Add a free camera for those who want to explore the world
Improve Stereoscopic 3D
Longer grass draw distance option
"Low Performance Mode" improvements
Visual "small black cubes" glitch in the beginning of The Signal

This would be so fucking cool.

Proelite

I love the characters in this game. Barry and the sheriff in particular. Fighting taken with both is probably my favorite gameplay moment of the game so far.

hlhbk

So I just upgraded to the following:

Intel Core I7 2600K
8 GB DDR3 PC 1866 RAM
Nvidia GTX 570

At 1920x1200 on high settings with vsync on in the opening segment I get high 40's FPS. When it focuses on the light house I get around 34 FPS. If I turn of SSAO I am almost always at 60 FPS. I am not sure what SSAO does and how vital it is to the Alan Wake experience?

I really would have thought even with the upgraded tech I would be getting better performance on a several year old game?

RPGCrazied

Played about an hour so. Runs great so far on my PC. Everything is set to max and running it at 1920x1080p. I wish all PC games had this level of graphic adjusting. A lot of games don't offer ingame AA and stuff.

Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
Processor and Graphics AMD Phenom™ II X6 1090T + ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 1GB
Memory 6GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMS
Hard Drive 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

Xyber

I really would have thought even with the upgraded tech I would be getting better performance on a several year old game?

From what I've seen in this thread it appears that the game runs a little worse than it should on Nvidia cards. I can play it with max settings and only dip down to maybe 45 in some places but stay at 60 most of the time. I have a HD6950 2GB, i5 2500K@4,5GHz and 8GB RAM.

Latest patch brought a piracy check apparently (@sidetwo twittered)

3JKsb.jpg

so bad ass. i wish people that put fun stuff like this into their games as piracy checks would let legit owners toggle them on :)

guess i'll be going back to the woods tonight to check out the 3D and the free camera. hopefully AMD owners got a nice 3D improvement too.

Truant

The best anti-piracy stuff was in the old Flashpoint games, where the game would start acting up after a while. Guns would become less accurate, vehicles became slower, enemies took more hits. Eventually the game became unplayable

Sethos

Banned
The best anti-piracy stuff was in the old Flashpoint games, where the game would start acting up after a while. Guns would become less accurate, vehicles became slower, enemies took more hits. Eventually the game became unplayable

Still exists in ArmA II, it's called FADE. Idea was nice but it affected too many legit users. It'd turn people into seagulls and shit.

so to everyone who ever told me this engine was all just smoke and mirrors, bite me. the engine doesn't load in buildings you aren't supposed to visit in that section, generally, but the whole world mesh, including all the trees is always there... LOD works as you'd expect, with content streaming in as you move around.

so, for example, if you free cam during the ferry ride, all of town is there (though the Oh Deer! diner interior is missing), bird leg cabin is there and the lodge is there (complete with most of the interior details you see later on, though some of the rooms are totally empty).

you can set the camera speed up super high, to outrun the detail streaming in, to see the engine adding in all that detail.

the whole of bright falls is there, at all times. it's just missing buildings, water, and bridges. the roads, the land, the trees? all always there. i'm not sure if there's any other examples of needless detail being left in a level like the lodge interior, gardens and hedge maze, all being present when Alan first arrives, but i'll be looking for them.

the tech is fantastic. this is an open world streaming engine. STILL.

scitek

Remedy are fucking awesome for adding the free camera. I'll be getting another hundred hours out of just screen-shotting. Yeah the tech is awesome. I hope they use it for a couple more games, at least.

I need to test the improvements to 3D the latest patch brought. It was already mind-blowing at times. I love this game so much.

i found the perfect 3D solution for me. using TriDef, and using the virtual 3D (now called power 3D), I can specify for it to use the regularly rendered image as the right eye, and only do reprojection on the left eye.

my left eye isn't good at detail, just colours and shapes (which gives me depth perception). i get all the depth i could want, without seeing the reprojection smears, and with all the effects turned on and seemingly rendering (as far as i can tell) perfectly.

it looks so damn good.

that's using the latest release of TriDef (from two days ago). the previous one had issues whatever mode you used.

dsk1210

i found the perfect 3D solution for me. using TriDef, and using the virtual 3D (now called power 3D), I can specify for it to use the regularly rendered image as the right eye, and only do reprojection on the left eye.

my left eye isn't good at detail, just colours and shapes (which gives me depth perception). i get all the depth i could want, without seeing the reprojection smears, and with all the effects turned on and seemingly rendering (as far as i can tell) perfectly.

it looks so damn good.

that's using the latest release of TriDef (from two days ago). the previous one had issues whatever mode you used.

its almost perfect now using 3dtv play, i need to drop the draw and lod distance to about half way while leaving the rest on maximum to achieve 60fps in 720p most of the time, looks amazing on the hmz-t1.

I was using the virtual 3d in tridef, but it comes nowhere close to it now that it has been patched for 3d vision.

Is Alan Wake on Games for Windows Live or Steam only? Kind of a missed opportunity by MSFT if they do not have this on their own service. I searched on their site and could not find it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Is Alan Wake on Games for Windows Live or Steam only? Kind of a missed opportunity by MSFT if they do not have this on their own service. I searched on their site and could not find it.

It's available on Steam and a couple other DD platforms (though still Steamworks). Why woulds they even bother with the lowest tier DD platform that MSFT just buried on their Xbox website?

Top Bottom