• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Annihilation Trailer #1 (Dir. Alex Garland (Ex Machina); Natalie Portman)

That's a great trailer.

I think Paramount will have it's work cut out trying to sell this to the popcorn munching masses but I'll give them their due, this looks pretty ballsy.
Has Paramount always been this risky? Mother and Annihilation seem like some pretty unusual movies for a studio to back

selfnoise

I love everything about the visuals. Definitely feeling more positive about this now.

Looks like they included at least a bit of Authority? Or maybe just a newly invented framing device (with the guy in the hazmat suit)

Kyonashi

Between this and Arrival, I am psyched at the current state of smart sci-fi in the cinema! Hopefully Cloverfield/God Particle ends up being great too.

Akahige

Teaser looks really good. The book is really trippy, this looks decidedly more off the rails, atleast visually than what I imagined.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Hmm. Looks like my jam, and I enjoyed Ex Machina quite bit. Slightly concerned about them holding this back just for a February release. Might be a situation where it's not strong enough for award season but not a crowd pleaser either. Guess we'll see, hoping for the best.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
As someone who loves first contact stories, and truly alien aliens, those opening questions are like music to my ears

Just be aware unless massive liberties have been taken this is not really what the book is about.

The book was pretty cool. Hopefully the movie retains the sheer wtf-ness of the story. judging by this trailer that looks to be the case.

The book is great and I'm confident this will be great too

It really is.

I'm reading his new one and it's solid, too. It has a more disjointed style that forces the reader to move at its beat.

Like I said in the other thread, hope it's as thought provoking as Arrival and Ex Machina, and not much action.

The books largely center around psychological terror, confusion and how they intersect with wonder. So that helps.

Looks fucking intriguing. Could be amazing. But it's a divisive book, and the movie could end up being not anywhere as cool as this teaser makes out.

Should I read into anything that its being released in Feb?

Dabanton

Very happy with that trailer. They showed just enough and didn’t spoil things

I was bracing that they were going to spoil what Benedict Wong was asking about and show things...

I would say to anyone don’t watch anymore trailers if they release anymore.

Just be aware unless massive liberties have been taken this is not really what the book is about.
Well, at least “first contact” (really twelfth contact) in the WTF sense of Lem’s Eden and others, scientists trying to make sense of and comprehend things beyond comprehension and then things going insane cosmic/body horror

Valtýr;250184333 said:
Seeing Portman with a gun is super weird.
leon-the-professional-00811.jpg

Looks fantastic. I know nothing about the book but in Garland I trust.
And I love Portman when she gives a shit and with a cast and crew like this, I imagine that she will.

Top Bottom