• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien 3 has effectively been remade.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
X952OWf.jpg

I never thought Alien 3 was half bad. But it clearly doesn't have the same level of acclaim and fandom of the first two films. As such, multiple Alien 3 reworks and what-ifs have been created, whether it be the Assembly Cut, the Earth War comic series, or the infamous wooden planet script. There was even a time where Neil Blompkamp was supposedly working on an Alien 3 production that would effectively retcon the movie, although that is never happening.

Well, in 2019, we have arguably the most "official" Alien 3 remake to date. One of the earliest unused screenplays for Alien 3 was that of William Gibson. It would have followed right after Aliens and shifted the main character roles to Hicks and Bishop. This script has been simultaneously adapted in 2 ways.

First there is the 5 issue comic. Each issue is like $4 I think.

3002524p5.jpg

but also an audio drama that actually has Michael Biehn and Lance Henriksen reprising their roles!

Its surprisingly reminiscent of Ridley's prequels at times with regards to the creatures themselves. But unlike Prometheus and Alien Covenant, the characters here actually aren't mentally challenged and are easy to root for. It expands on the Alien universe in other ways such as political rivals and militarized space suits. All I can say is: its great and worth the $9. Its a classic radio drama with sound effects, music, and well acted prose. If you're a fan please give it a whirl.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Its surprisingly reminiscent of Ridley's prequels at times with regards to the creatures themselves. But unlike Prometheus and Alien Covenant, the characters here actually aren't mentally challenged and are easy to root for. It expands on the Alien universe in other ways such as political rivals and militarized space suits. All I can say is: its great and worth the $9. Its a classic radio drama with sound effects, music, and well acted prose. If you're a fan please give it a whirl.
lmao
Alright, I'm gonna have to hear this audio drama.
Hey, you read any of the Alien novels? I haven't, but I'm curious. If you're familiar with them, what's your take, what'd you think of them?

Sub_Level

lmao
Alright, I'm gonna have to hear this audio drama.
Hey, you read any of the Alien novels? I haven't, but I'm curious. If you're familiar with them, what's your take, what'd you think of them?

Its worth it. One thing I forgot to mention is that the audio drama's structure is similar to the first 2 movies. So you don't see (well, hear) much of the alien in the first half. Then all hell breaks loose, yadda yadda. And naw I haven't read em, but I can say that multiple alien books have also been adapted to Audible including River of Pain.

Who’s publishing the comic? Dark horse?

Yep. They been doin Alien stuff for decades now :messenger_horns:

Sub_Level

Did Alien 3 eventually get like a “super cut” release that supposedly fixed a lot of its issues? Or am I mixing it up

Its called the assembly cut and naw. It is different but not necessarily better than theatrical. Biggest diffetence is the xenomorph impregnating an Ox rather than a dog.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Its worth it. One thing I forgot to mention is that the audio drama's structure is similar to the first 2 movies. So you don't see (well, hear) much of the alien in the first half. Then all hell breaks loose, yadda yadda. And naw I haven't read em, but I can say that multiple alien books have also been adapted to Audible including River of Pain.
Now, say I really like Alien, but wasn't a fan of Aliens--actually, no Alien media really felt like a worthy sequel until Isolation, to me. Think this could still appeal? I've still enjoyed lots of the lore additions of the other films and such, but overall just didn't have a good time watching them.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

Now, say I really like Alien, but wasn't a fan of Aliens--actually, no Alien media really felt like a worthy sequel until Isolation, to me. Think this could still appeal?

This audio drama definitely is more Aliens than Alien. Hollywood suspense type stuff with bits of action.

On the other hand, it has very few weapons available to the people trying to survive. There's no assault rifles, sentry guns, or power mech fight this time lol so that aspect might appeal to you.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
This audio drama definitely is more Aliens than Alien. Hollywood suspense type stuff with bits of action.

On the other hand, it has very few weapons available to the people trying to survive. There's no assault rifles, sentry guns, or power mech fight this time lol so that aspect might appeal to you.
well, I guess I'll just have to find out for myself whether or not it's my thing

lifa-cobex

Did Alien 3 eventually get like a “super cut” release that supposedly fixed a lot of its issues? Or am I mixing it up

Its called the assembly cut and naw. It is different but not necessarily better than theatrical. Biggest diffetence is the xenomorph impregnating an Ox rather than a dog.
That and the moment of them actually capturing the alien. The religious points get pushed much more to the point of one guy worshiping it.
I really liked the assembly cut.

Last edited:
Poor Michael Biehn, I've always wondered why his career fizzled out. He had a string of great movies, and he was freakin spectacular as Johnny Ringo in Tombstone, and as the psychotic SEAL Coffey in The Abyss.
Will buy this just to hear Hicks again.

Ar¢tos

Why bother 3 when 4 is a massive turd? Compared to 4, 3 is almost perfect! 4 is the one that needs a total remake.

Sub_Level

Why bother 3 when 4 is a massive turd? Compared to 4, 3 is almost perfect! 4 is the one that needs a total remake.

You arent wrong but here's the thing: Resurrection is already set 200 years in the future from the main series. It can already be easily ignored in the story.

Alien 3 on the other hand took all the characters from 2 and killed every single one. Thats why many fans have a bigger bone to pick with 3.

Ar¢tos

You arent wrong but here's the thing: Resurrection is already set 200 years in the future from the main series. It can already be easily ignored in the story.

Alien 3 on the other hand took all the characters from 2 and killed every single one. Thats why many fans have a bigger bone to pick with 3.
Yeah, I remember being annoyed by the lame removal of important characters. So much trouble saving the girl (basically a whole movie) to kill her right at the start of 3. But 4 was a bigger shock to me, I left the movie theatre completely pissed off. A pure waste of time and money and a great franchise murdered by silly goofs and bad characters (Is Winona Ryder EVER gonna get acting lessons?).

Top Bottom