• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant - The Prologue footage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You know the space jockey in alien was probably heading to Earth with a payload to wipe out humans as payback for David's shit.

I really don't like this stupid need to explain everything. Space is infinite, the alien series should be a never ending rabbit hole, not a clearly defined story with explanations for everything that happens. Space jockey should have just been accidentally infected at some point by some alien species and ctashed, that's all.

You know the space jockey in alien was probably heading to Earth with a payload to wipe out humans as payback for David's shit.

The idea that the derelict from Alien was a bomber delivering the Xenomorph eggs as a biological weapon never made much sense to me. What are there, 20 or so eggs? What do you do, drop them on a city and....? No doubt a few people would die but as soon as the military gets involved its over. Weaponizing the species as spores that can infect / transform large numbers of people at once at least makes some sort of sense.

Anyway, I always preferred the idea that the aliens are a product of evolution and that in the deep recesses of space, some truly nasty species can arise. We are just material for their reproduction cycle. There's no plan or malice to it. It's just nature and it's brutal and terrifying.

Watched Alien last night. How the hell we go from how the xenomorph was shown in that film to having it in broad daylight banging it's head on a window? My only hope with this movie was to see some real old school Alien action from Ridley, and so far between I'm let down from that department.

The idea that the derelict from Alien was a bomber delivering the Xenomorph eggs as a biological weapon never made much sense to me. What are there, 20 or so eggs? What do you do, drop them on a city and....? No doubt a few people would die but as soon as the military gets involved its over. Weaponizing the species as spores that can infect / transform large numbers of people at once at least makes some sort of sense.

Anyway, I always preferred the idea that the aliens are a product of evolution and that in the deep recesses of space, some truly nasty species can arise. We are just material for their reproduction cycle. There's no plan or malice to it. It's just nature and it's brutal and terrifying.

Aka, zerg.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I thought alien was the first time theyd come across these aliens? But this looks like almost a retread. Are we thinking they'll all get killed or somehow not report back? Or are they going to retcon something like weyland sending the ship in alien deliberately?

Walked past the premiere in Leicester Square and watched the crowd for a bit. The trailer looks interesting-ish. Can I watch this first or is Prometheus worth watching?

I was trying to catch the official livestream of the world premier within the past hour, but that seems to have been fumbled.

Meet Walter got updated the other day with a personality quiz to "Calibrate Your Walter"

Romantic Walter:

TdMQOu1.png

There were easily hundreds in the derelict's hold. Ripley even mentions it via secondhand account in the board meeting in Aliens.

Watched Alien last night. How the hell we go from how the xenomorph was shown in that film to having it in broad daylight banging it's head on a window? My only hope with this movie was to see some real old school Alien action from Ridley, and so far between I'm let down from that department.

Alien is in my top 5 of all-time but I never really liked that the xeno moved like a person in a suit. I like that it moves more animalistic, just like in Aliens.

Socivol

I thought alien was the first time theyd come across these aliens? But this looks like almost a retread. Are we thinking they'll all get killed or somehow not report back? Or are they going to retcon something like weyland sending the ship in alien deliberately?

Walked past the premiere in Leicester Square and watched the crowd for a bit. The trailer looks interesting-ish. Can I watch this first or is Prometheus worth watching?

The company knew about the Aliens in the first movie so you would have to think someone had previously made contact with them in the past.

Well, I've listened to the full score now.

It's kinda interesting. Kurzel's kinda doing a Junkie XL version of Jerry Goldsmith with this, if that makes any sense? There are times it sounds a bit like the Alien Isolation soundtrack, and then other times I swear he's straight up tracking in Goldsmith's unused music from the first film. Not getting an orchestra to replay it (although that happens in some of the tracks as well) but literally sampling the original score for this one.

A lot more "soundscaped" than the other soundtracks, too - it sometimes feels like the atmospherics of the ship and the planet are being mixed in with the music.

Anyway, I didn't realize he was the second choice for this. I guess Harry Gregson Williams was supposed to have done it, and worked quite a bit on it, and then left sometime in November. Curious as to why that happened, or if it's just a matter of Ridley being Ridley and not working well with composers?

Gravidee

There was much more than 20 eggs on that ship.

alienmatte.jpg

There was much more than 20 eggs on that ship.

alienmatte.jpg

Yeah, I obviously misremembered that. Fair enough. I still don't think dropping eggs makes for a particularly efficient bio attack. What it looks like David is doing in the prologue looks much more effective.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
mrklaw said:
When you say first movie - do you mean Prometheus or Alien?
Alien - Ian Holm explains that it was all a set-up before Ripley bangs his head out. Maybe the extended cut added more exposition, I don't really remember.

Though to be fair - that doesn't make Prometheus or this new thing any less stupid looking - but whatever, not the first franchise retro-actively slinging mud at its own property with stupid prequels.

EGM1966

they also went back to it (sort of) in drafts of Alien: Resurrection. The Newborn was supposed to get taken out by a giant combine/thresher thing on Earth.

Basically, I would not be surprised if David really planted wheat because the movie needs there to be a wheat field so that a chase sequence between aliens and people can happen in said wheat field.
The majority of Promethous (and a fair bit of this from the trailers, etc) feels like a mix of re-using concepts / ideas from the franchise past or expanding on points already detailed simply to give them an explanation.

It's really flaky world building IMHO - although it looks lovely of course.

The company knew about the Aliens in the first movie so you would have to think someone had previously made contact with them in the past.
The narrative/plot of Alien strongly implies the company had already intercepted the signal from the derelict and set up Nostromo as low risk way to investigate. There's no implication anyone was there before really.

The level of prior contact in the new films is all retconning really.

If it's in the marketing it's not a spoiler.

Also the video is already dead.

edit: was that Vimeo thing I just watched the same thing as the dead youtube link? Because that's just... more of the same shit we've already seen in the previous trailers. Waterston on the ship with a gun freaking out because there's an alien in there with her.

That's BS.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

The eggs would have just been laid by the one that burst from the chest, they wouldn't be weapons, The weapons would have been the same as in prometheus/covenant.

Jockey is on a mission to wipe humans put, alien is present in the ship (probably Queen Rapace) and lays one down his throat after some fight, he kills her, goes back to pilot his ship, leaves a warning message, thing bursts from him, lays eggs later.

But I agree 100% with you about how I saw the aliens. Space would be a scary never ending rabbit hole, cuthuluesque, maybe only Earth would be paradise-like.

Guy.brush

There's no plan or malice to it. It's just nature and it's brutal and terrifying.

We definitely lost the cosmic horror and fear of the unknown with these new movies.
Having the Alien be something that naturally evolved as the chief of the chain and something mankind woke up when it ventured too far out from their cave is so much more terrifying than having it be a product of an ivory skinned, human lookalike space Jesus race that created it as bioweapon.
Not even talking about putting all these overt religious themes in there. It just makes it very small and familiar, the complete opposite of cosmic horror.

The eggs would have just been laid by the one that burst from the chest, they wouldn't be weapons, The weapons would have been the same as in prometheus/covenant.

Jockey is on a mission to wipe humans put, alien is present in the ship (probably Queen Rapace) and lays one down his throat after some fight, he kills her, goes back to pilot his ship, leaves a warning message, thing bursts from him, lays eggs later.

But I agree 100% with you about how I saw the aliens. Space would be a scary never ending rabbit hole, cuthuluesque, maybe only Earth would be paradise-like.

No the eggs in Alien are in a cargo hold stored purposefully beneath a mist like barrier.

Having the Alien be something that naturally evolved as the chief of the chain and something mankind woke up when it ventured too far out from their cave is so much more terrifying than having it be a product of an ivory skinned, human lookalike space Jesus race that created it as bioweapon..

It's not even the space race. It's the robot we made that used their science kit

Guy.brush

It's not even the space race. It's the robot we made that used their science kit

For me it is dangerously close to Anakin building C3P0. That kind of universe shrinking "trying to cleverly tie together elements that need no tieing together" sequel writing.

336451aad15f3b8d53ebf1f9d15ce6e5.jpg

The created playing creator and thus undoing his creators with all the religious analogies is not the direction that comes organically with a franchise like Alien. Not saying it is not viable, it just doesn't feel that natural and it shrinks the Alien existence to a petry dish when it could have occupied worlds of its own (see original Giger art).

Ignoring the likely business deals I'm not privy to... Just post a 360 video on YouTube and social media for the masses already, Fox. It's just a video.

I saw this, and it's gross and cute... and short.
It covers the already familiar backbursting scene, and we're talking 2 minutes long with the visually uneventful "utero" aspect of it taking up most of the runtime (not that anything is interesting beyond a moment of body horror imagery and the objectively cute lil creature sounds).
So lowered expectations, people, if you're anything like me and weren't expecting Alien: Isolation VR, but were hoping for something at least somewhat interactive and meaningful when this was announced back when.

Can someone link me to the backburster scene? I tried searching for it on YouTube but all of the results are from random people describing the scene. This is why I sometimes hate YouTube.

Another Adam Savage video: Armor, Weapons, and Blood Effects

Ignoring the likely business deals I'm not privy to... Just post a 360 video on YouTube and social media for the masses already, Fox. It's just a video.

I saw this, and it's gross and cute... and short.
It covers the already familiar backbursting scene, and we're talking 2 minutes long with the visually uneventful "utero" aspect of it taking up most of the runtime (not that anything is interesting beyond a moment of body horror imagery and the objectively cute lil creature sounds).
So lowered expectations, people, if you're anything like me and weren't expecting Alien: Isolation VR, but were hoping for something at least somewhat interactive and meaningful when this was announced back when.

Probably didn't have enough time to do anything major.

Embargo-skirting impressions (and straight up spoilers) are out there from the world premier in London, people. I'm trying to shield my eyes from it.

Probably didn't have enough time to do anything major.
Yeah, probably. The experience being something so familiar from the trailer was probably the most disappointing part for me. Can't be too mad at free though.

Alien is in my top 5 of all-time but I never really liked that the xeno moved like a person in a suit. I like that it moves more animalistic, just like in Aliens.

I never get that vibe with the xeno from Alien with the exception of it hanging out of the airlock (the only bad xeno shot in the film). It looks more otherworldly to me with it hanging by it's feet during Brett's death and it's unorthodox movement in Parker and Lambert's scene. IMO, Ridley really pulled it off with careful camera placement and limited exposure of the xeno.

That's what's completely missing for me in the Covenant footage I've seen.

ezekial45

Banned
Some comments on twitter from the premiere are pretty positive. I'm looking forward to seeing some actual reviews come up soon.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Some comments on twitter from the premiere are pretty positive. I'm looking forward to seeing some actual reviews come up soon.

Yeah, you mean like everyone loved Batman Vs Superman on Twitter when they were at the premiere?

When do people learn that these opinions dont matter at all. Its the reviews that are long texts that show up few days before the actual movie starts.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, you mean like everyone loved Batman Vs Superman on Twitter when they were at the premiere?

When do people learn that these opinions dont matter at all. Its the reviews that are long texts that show up few days before the actual movie starts.

I was merely commenting the tweets, relax. You really don't have to be a dick about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom