• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Flim rankings

Slythe

Is this ranking thread day? Okay.

alien
alien(s)
prometheus
commentaries about alien 3
alien 3

alien with ron perlman

Is their another one? I feel like I'm missing one. Maybe not. I should walk over to my dvd case and check the quadrilogy. Yeah quad is 4. I know that.

So accurate. Perfect ranking.

Elandyll

Banned
Knowing that I am loath giving anything a perfect score

Alien 9.5
Aliens 9.5 (a very different film)

Prometheus 8
Alien 3 7.5

AvP 6

Alien Resurrection 5

AvP2 4

What a rollercoaster...

(seeing those first 2 scripts still makes me yearn)

So I did some reading on these earlier scripts. Apparently there's a bunch of them.

There's a script where the alien is passed by a contagion, and some lady gets infected and then rips off her skin to reveal a xenomorph underneath during a board meeting. Lol

Another takes place on a man-made planet that was built with wood (what!?) and the inhabitants of the planet are monks that refuse to use any kind of electricity.

Some out there stuff for sure haha

Lupercal

Banned
So I did some reading on these earlier scripts. Apparently there's a bunch of them.

There's a script where the alien is passed by a contagion, and some lady gets infected and then rips off her skin to reveal a xenomorph underneath during a board meeting. Lol

Another takes place on a man-made planet that was built with wood (what!?) and the inhabitants of the planet are monks that refuse to use any kind of electricity.

Some out there stuff for sure haha

There's a script (they discussed it on the avp galaxy podcast) 2 completely crazy ideas but so wel fitting for the universe.
Worth a listen imo
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=56981.0

Monocle

Hey man, I'm willing to go to bat for Alien 3. It's like a coherent movie that has themes and character arcs and shit, rather than the crassness of Resurrection and the totally undercooked and jumbled Prometheus. Its a pretty good meditation on coming to terms with death, and pretty much every action and line in the movie relates to this. Characters have dialogue that sound like a human being wrote them, and in some cases is really excellent (Dillon and Charles Dance's characters in particular are excellent). The setting is evocative and well developed with its own intriguing culture, and again helps develop the theme of the movie. Ridley gets a satisfying, if a bit melodramatic, conclusion that fits the tone of the series. The cinematogrpahy and production design is fantastic, infusing a gothic medieval atmosphere into the death focused story helps make it far more effective take on religion in the Alien universe than Prometheus' "maybe Jesus was an Alien??". The score is arguably the best in the series, and it's got some great performances.

The alien stuff itself is pretty bad, as there's no tension, it's edited poorly, some of the secondary characters are indescernable, and the composting makes it look goofy as fuck...but at least there's a consistent sense of tension and progression of the threat as opposed to Prometheus's Daisy Chain of disconnected monstrosities that are born through illogical acts and and never feel like credible or developed threats. That's the thing about Prometheus, it just feels so random. Characters are so incredibly inconsistent, plot developments feel like they were picked out of a hat, and dialogue sounds like it was pieced together by an AI trying to write a screenplay.

Resurrection doesn't even have the advantages of looking good or having Michael Fassbender (the sole redeeming elements of Prometheus). It's the least funny comedy ever, and it looks like it was smeared in Vaseline. It's ADD to the point of being obnoxious, and mostly just makes me feel kind of queasy.
I'm coming at this from the perspective that a good Alien film is at its heart a moody encounter with cosmic horror, where there are elements of building tension and grotesque discovery, and then the characters are forced into a desperate struggle for survival. The mood is like 90% of it though. If the mood fails, the movie fails. For me Prometheus nailed the atmosphere and sense of discovery, and Alien 3 did not. The random creatures in Prometheus might not make sense (although I'm willing to accept that the black goo does different things in different situations), but they're all gross and vicious, and most importantly they're presented effectively.

I think Alien 3's cinematography is so unappealing, and there's nothing interesting or mysterious about a dull industrial setting. That, and I found the characters to be much less sympathetic than those in Prometheus. I don't like the characters' culture. A one-dimensional cult that doesn't even have any eccentric beliefs or practices to define them is just obnoxious.

Alien 3's atmosphere and alien elements fall totally flat for me. The film just doesn't offer anything I like in an Alien movie. It's almost like a fan film where the production team has a Xenomorph suit or puppet or whatever, and they've found some sort of industrial location to shoot in, but nobody understands how to use shadow or sound or movement or dramatic timing to establish a mood. They're completely hopeless when it comes making their creature scary. It's just a really ugly lizard that tears into people I don't care about. No mystique to it at all.

I'm coming at this from the perspective that a good Alien film is at its heart a moody encounter with cosmic horror, where there are elements of building tension and grotesque discovery, and then the characters are forced into a desperate struggle for survival. The mood is like 90% of it though. If the mood fails, the movie fails. For me Prometheus nailed the atmosphere and sense of discovery, and Alien 3 did not. The random creatures in Prometheus might not make sense (although I'm willing to accept that the black goo does different things in different situations), but they're all gross and vicious, and most importantly they're presented effectively.

I think Alien 3's cinematography is so unappealing, and there's nothing interesting or mysterious about a dull industrial setting. That, and I found the characters to be much less sympathetic than those in Prometheus. I don't like the characters' culture. A one-dimensional cult that doesn't even have any eccentric beliefs or practices to define them is just obnoxious.

Alien 3's atmosphere and alien elements fall totally flat for me. The film just doesn't offer anything I like in an Alien movie. It's almost like a fan film where the production team has a Xenomorph suit or puppet or whatever, and they've found some sort of industrial location to shoot in, but nobody understands how to use shadow or sound or movement or dramatic timing to establish a mood. They're completely hopeless when it comes making their creature scary. It's just a really ugly lizard that tears into people I don't care about. No mystique to it at all.

I dunno, Prometheus doesn't establish a mood or setting to me at all. The geography has no character or sense of place (not helped when even the mapper dude gets lost in its series of identical tunnels). Alien 3 at least attempted to flesh out its location with a unique culture and personality, and it has a good sense of gothic dread about it. I can't agree with the visuals either. Prometheus looks good, but it's too slick for me. I mean look at this stuff, it looks right out of like a Basinski/Francis Bacon mashup:

Alien-3-the-alien-films-20141564-1249-578.jpg

alien3.jpg

latest

alien3-baby's-first-steps.png

I guess if you're only interested in the series for creature killing people then maybeee I could get liking Prometheus more, but that angle didn't work for me either since the characters were so poor and the film almost never even tried building suspense outside of the C-Section scene. Alien 3 did right by its most important characters at least, and they actually felt like real characters who behave like human beings and have clear motivations and conflicts. Prometheus is so scattershot with everything from the characters to the creatures that there's nothing consistent for me to sink my teeth into.

nachum00

1.Alien
2.Aliens

That's it right?

I mean pretty sure I remember the other ones being pretty bad. And I have no faith in Ridley Scott

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I thought Prometheus only had the atmosphere at the very start, when things started happening it fell apart. Just a jumble of events loosely connected by magic black goo and David jumping us to whatever scene was required next.

And the creature design was amateur level, it's like someone just went penises and vaginas that's Alien right! The multivagina thing that gobbled up the Engineer was pure shite.

Clown doing the Lord's work in here.

Except it is not an Alien movie (or doesn't feel like it). It is Prometheus 2. Lower your expectations.

What does this even mean, really. Of course it's an Alien movie. So was Prometheus.

You guys act like a bad movie in a series somehow negates it from the series. It doesn't. There's no purity test for admittance into the canon. That decision was made for you before you even knew the film was going to exist. Alien 3 is an Alien movie because the people who make Alien movies made it, and put stuff from the Alien movies in it.

What does an "Alien" movie "Feel" like, anyway? Even the two most successful ones don't "feel" anything alike for the most part, despite sharing a character, a planet, and a fictional universe.

You guys are so precious with your entertainments, carefully boxing them and setting them on a shelf where dirty things can't get to them. I don't get it.

Your favorite film series has shit movies in it.

It's okay.

Zakalwe

Banned
I love Alien, and I like a good bit of 80s cheese, that doesn't mean I want my 80s cheese in my Alien. Like how I enjoy comedy movies, but would hate if the next blade runner went in that direction (even if it was a good comedy), it's still not what I want out of that franchise. The question "Is Aliens a good film" is very different from "Is Aliens a good Alien movie" imo

Aliens isn't "an alien movie", and it was never trying to be.

It took the series in a very natural direction story wise, and things escalated in keeping with the original premise.

Like, really, it's an incredible example of just how to do a sequel, ie: take the premise and expand on it in a way that it perhaps would in reality, instead of rehashing shit and sticking to the same genre as the first because "that's what you do".

TacosNSalsa

Alien = Aliens to me ..I won't choose , I enjoy both immensely whenever I watch them . Everything else I just thrown in a pile ..I'll watch em as I think they make great background noise .

Return of the King?

It won oscars for god sakes.

We got a third exception!

(we're not careful this is going to turn into a All Time Best Film Series ranking thread)

(which would be fine)

(until we get to the part where people start arguing that a bunch of films in the same film series isn't really a film series because of x)

Epcott

Alien > Aliens >>> Prometheus >> Alien 3 >>>>>>>>> AVP 2 >>> Alien R >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AVP

I put Alien 3 so low only because it undermines progress of Aliens. Resurrection was just a joke. AVP2 at least became unpredictable when it killed off the love interest.

Alien = Aliens >>> Alien 3 (Assembly Cut) >>> Prometheus >>>>>>>> Alien 3 (Theatrical Cut) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AvP >>Alien Resurrection >>>>>>> AvP: R

And as noted above, the commentary for Alien 3 is way better than the actual movie.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I can't rank Alien and Aliens, since they're different genres and they're both fantastic examples of horror and action respectively. So they have a shared #1 Spot. The rest don't count

GhaleonEB

The biggest problem with Aliens is that it is just a shoot fest. The movie degrades the alien, who is supposed to be this perfect organism, into another space ant that badass American marines can shoot for two hours. A great action movie but a bad alien movie. Resurrection is pretty much the same as Aliens with some funny scenes added in to make it feel even less like an alien movie, but it has its charm. Prometheus has great special effects and all that but the movie as a whole is very drab and boring.

It's not really a shoot fest. There are three scenes where people fight the aliens - the first encounter in the hive, where they get their ass kicked. The second after the aliens work around the barricades - and the humans lose more than half of the survivors. And then when Ripley goes into the hive to get Newt. There are long, sustained portions of the film with no action, it's not a film where they "shoot for two hours". And each action scene has a pretty long and sustained build up.

I do agree Cameron made a mistake in anchoring the life cycle and hive around ants, as that made the alien....less alien. I really like the one implied in the original film and confirmed in the extended cut Scott did (though I know his 'director's cut' is the theatrical'). I like the idea of Lambert's question, "I wonder what happened to the rest of the crew?" having the answer - they're the eggs in the cargo hold. That's pretty fucked up, but was the original intent. Oh well.

At any rate -

Alien = Aliens >>>>>>>> Prometheus >>>>>>>>> Alien 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alien Resurrection

I'm hopeful Covenant is the best film since Aliens.

Rick1o1

Alien 1 en 2 are masterpieces imo. They also hold up very well. The third one is not very good at all, but I can still get some enjoyment out of it. Prometheus was so boring that I watched it twice and still don 't remember anything from the film.
Alien: resurrection is such a weird movie to me. I think it starts out pretty decent. I like the part en the idea of the company experimenting with people and face huggers and stuff. But then it goes off rails very fast. You get that basketball scene where Ripley get superpowers or something and they don't do anything with it for the rest of the movie. The last part still baffles me with her embracing the alien and with that hybrid which looks terrible. Who thought that was a good idea?

Ferr986

The biggest problem with Aliens is that it is just a shoot fest. The movie degrades the alien, who is supposed to be this perfect organism, into another space ant that badass American marines can shoot for two hours. A great action movie but a bad alien movie. Resurrection is pretty much the same as Aliens with some funny scenes added in to make it feel even less like an alien movie, but it has its charm. Prometheus has great special effects and all that but the movie as a whole is very drab and boring.

Nah, the Alien from Alien 1 kill unnarmed and untrained goons and even still he's defeated by Ripley because he's slow as fuck. I mean, just look at the scene where the Alien kills Lambert and Parker, if they were marines that Alien wouldn't have lasted 5 seconds by how slow he was.

The marines are top trained humans with the best weapons available and they pretty much get their asses kicked instantly when they enter the hive. They're at the end as smart as the Alien 1 version, just they now have a queen so they seems to be more insect-like.

The only part where the Aliens felt downplayed is when Ripley goes all Rambo to the nest to save Newt, and maybe the scene where Vazquez kill that Alien in the vents with hanging his head with her foot.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
For me,

Great movies:
Aliens
Alien

Whatever, its a movie:
Alien 3
Prometheus

LOL get this shit out of my face, this is embarrassing:
Alien: Resurrection
AVP etc

Zakalwe

Banned
The only part where the Aliens felt downplayed is when Ripley goes all Rambo to the nest to save Newt, and maybe the scene where Vazquez kill that Alien in the vents with hanging his head with her foot.

She kills the alien in the vent with a pistol. She puts her foot on its head to hold it there, shoots it, and gets her leg fucked up because of the acidforbloods.

Also, by the time Ripley went hive diving, the majority of the aliens had been killed. If I remember correctly the numbers have been crunched and there was around 150-160 aliens (max) when the marines arrived on LV426. And that's if they cocooned every colonist, and many would have died outright in the skirmish.

Then we consider how many the Marines took out in their first foray into the hive, dem Sentry Gunz (lots of auto pew), and the "we didn't miss anything" *looks up* fight, there probably weren't many left to contend with. What we saw was probably all there was left, and I think they showed Ripley handling those she did realistically.

Lari

Haven't seen Covenant yet, but my ranking as of now is:

1. Aliens
2. Alien
3. Prometheus
4. Resurrection
5. Alien 3

TheXbox

Alien is better than Aliens, the rest are dog shit. Haven't seen Covenant yet. Altogether a terrible franchise, and that's with two of the best films in their respective genres.

Alien
Aliens
Prometheus
Alien 3 Assembly Cut

Everything else is a spin-off.

Hoping Covenant takes a very respectable third place in that rank.

Nerrel

2. ALIENS(1986)- 1991 special edition
Where the first film was a haunted house. This one is a roller coaster. It is nonstop from beginning to end. The special edition add the fact Ripley had a daughter who is now dead, It shows more of the colony before finding the derelict. Also the sentry gun scene is pretty damn cool.

It's a better version in every way except for the unnecessary scenes at the colony before the incident. It kind of ruins the mystery of what happened and is generally not a well acted sequence. If there were a cut that excised those parts and kept everything else it would be perfect.

Zakalwe

Banned
It's a better version in every way except for the unnecessary scenes at the colony before the incident. It kind of ruins the mystery of what happened and is generally not a well acted sequence. If there were a cut that excised those parts and kept everything else it would be perfect.

Yep. Everything on HH are a drag/not required. The rest are excellent additions.

Although I think Hudson's additional speech on the dropship is a bit much, I could leave that.

Top Bottom