• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Damn. I didn't factor in that my saves haven't been automatically uploaded to the cloud since it's been down. I wonder if uploading them now, deleting all info and then redownloading will do anything or if I should just take the loss and start back a little ways to be safe... Probably the latter.

Edit: deleted everything (saves, updates etc), reinstalled updates, and downloaded my latest saves and everything seems to be running smooth compared to my previous trip through these areas. Just waiting for that moving platform section to really compare lol.

Only problem now is waiting for the store so I can redownload my dlc.

Edit 2 (for anyone who cares): Moving platform was a smooth ride! But the next bootup got stuck on the pre-load image screen again. I did notice that the info menu under the game was stuck in a loading spiral so disconnecting from the internet fixed that. These lizard squad people are not only a nuisance and an inconvenience, but they are also causing potential damages to these systems. I hope they are found and fined.

Sometimes the Alien will just kill you when you are in a locker. Leaning back etc doesnt help. It seems almost random.

That doesn't happen. You probably started breathing again too soon which the Alien will notice. Wait for it to take a few steps away from the locker and you're safe to take a breath.
If you do that lockers are the safest place in the game.
The alien did actually spot me under a table on a few occasions, though, since it's able to see you under there whenever it's not close but a bit in the distance.

it can find you in lockers. if that happened to you once you would never want to hide in a locker or under a desk again. haha
Like I said, it cannot find you in lockers if you do it right.

RedAssedApe

Banned
That doesn't happen. You probably started breathing again too soon which the Alien will notice. Wait for it to take a few steps away from the locker and you're safe to take a breath.
If you do that lockers are the safest place in the game.
The alien did actually spot me under a table on a few occasions, though, since it's able to see you under there whenever it's not close but a bit in the distance.

Like I said, it cannot find you in lockers if you do it right.

eh...i'll take your word for it. i dunno how you do "hiding in a closet right" lol but hiding in a closet has never felt like the "safest place" in any horror game :p

Peterthumpa

Off-topic, but is there an AA method that effectively reduces shader aliasing in this game? I've tried almost everything (sans DSR, wiating for my GTX970 to come by) but the jaggies are eye soring sometimes.

I'm going to need an ansver on a mild spoilerish question before I can continue:

Will the alien eat me when I am hacking something or is it "safe" (assuming I was unnoticed by it when I activate the terminal)

Yes the game is still super freaking me out and I love it.

SRTtoZ

I'm going to need an ansver on a mild spoilerish question before I can continue:

Will the alien eat me when I am hacking something or is it "safe" (assuming I was unnoticed by it when I activate the terminal)

Yes the game is still super freaking me out and I love it.

You are always vulnerable if the Alien is nearby, no matter what you're doing. Saving or hacking a door won't make the alien not attack you.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I saw my brother playing this on his PC a couple days ago and it looked awesome. As someone who loves stealth / sneaking games, can I assume that getting this for $30 on PS4 is a no-brainer?

PARANO1A

This is on special for xbox right now. It's it an inferior experience to the ps4 version? I remember reading that it was patched to reduce stutter... Would be good to play a long game with my preferred controller.

SoapyCub

Neo Member
Struggling to think how the the hiding mechanic would work in 3rd person while still giving you that panicked closed in feeling.

I also really identified with Amanda while playing. It would always heighten the immersion whenever she would mimic an outburst after I just said it. More than half the reason this was GOTY for me was because I felt as though I was Amanda throughout.

I feel that connection would be lost in 3rd person. I have a pretty big disconnect in that perspective and feel more a puppet master.

Started playing properly yesterday and I'm at chapter 5. Just wondering for my own sanity's sake, if I'm being pursued by the Alien, as in it's walking around, am I likely to find anything way out of the way or should I be inching towards my destination and finding stuff along the way? For example, I got
Morley's keycard
so I'm able to go back to the quarters. Should I go looking around there with the Alien on my ass? The objective is right behind the save point.

Does anyone know the mechanics of the Alien? Like, can I crawl in the light and he won't see me? I'm too scared to get out of the locker, or from behind the corner desk on Chapter 5 to risk getting killed. He always seems to be near by.

Can he hear the motion tracker or see the little lights on the noise maker?

Does anyone know the mechanics of the Alien? Like, can I crawl in the light and he won't see me? I'm too scared to get out of the locker, or from behind the corner desk on Chapter 5 to risk getting killed. He always seems to be near by.

You have a bit of leeway. You can crawl slowly behind him if it's a bit away. Experimentation is the best, especially after you save. You'll learn what you can and can't get away with. For items with lights, I'm pretty sure that if you're out of sight, the lights are out of sight... but not the flashlight. And yes, it can hear the motion tracker if you rely on it too much. A quick check won't alert it.

You think this game would have worked in third person?

a la Dead Space or Resident Evil 4.

Struggling to think how the the hiding mechanic would work in 3rd person while still giving you that panicked closed in feeling.

I also really identified with Amanda while playing. It would always heighten the immersion whenever she would mimic an outburst after I just said it. More than half the reason this was GOTY for me was because I felt as though I was Amanda throughout.

I feel that connection would be lost in 3rd person. I have a pretty big disconnect in that perspective and feel more a puppet master.
I agree with Soapy. This is the first 1st-person game that I actually feel grounded to the game world. I wasn't a camera on a stick with limited mobility. The game allowed me to get under tables, hide in lockers and crawl and duck behind objects with ease and no need of some snap to cover button. Excellent use of a leaning mechanic as well. Added to the whole groundedness. I felt I was the one actually hiding while a 3rd-person view would be more or less me hiding an avatar with more visibilty which would have lessened some of the tension.

But at the same time, I've only played the beginning of The Evil Within and that's been pretty nerve-wracking so I dunno lol. I still commend Alien Iso for it's excellent first person view.

Okay so ended up playing till chapter 4 (I hear chapter 5 is where it really kicks off) and the atmosphere is fantastic. I felt so much tension crawling around hiding from androids. One even scared me pretty bad as he caught me from behind. The mouth movements aren't too hot and the cutscenes can go from looking really nice to kind of awkward. Regardless hearing the alien crawl around me (using my Sony gold headset) is really nerve racking I always feel like he's going to pop out of nowhere.

taizuke

Asked this on another forum but haven't gotten an answer:

I was going for one-shot trophy when I killed a civilian during mission 11 and the save icon appeared which then prompting me to reload any of my saves as if i died.

Fortunately i had uploaded my "Game Progression File" as well as my mission 11 save files to the cloud yesterday which i downloaded.

Am i still screwed?

EGM1966

Asked this on another forum but haven't gotten an answer:

I was going for one-shot trophy when I killed a civilian during mission 11 and the save icon appeared which then prompting me to reload any of my saves as if i died.

Fortunately i had uploaded my "Game Progression File" as well as my mission 11 save files to the cloud yesterday which i downloaded.

Am i still screwed?

I think you're okay. The cloud save shouldn't have the civilian death registered and when you proceed it should be from there. Can't say 100% unfortunately but it seems reasonable all such data would be in the save file and you've overwritten the one that notes you killed someone.

I think you could also re-start chapter 11 from menu and it would use the autosave created right at the start of the chapter which should also be clear of the death.

SRTtoZ

Line of sight is the most important regardless of being in the dark or light. Stay behind things, underneath things, etc and don't use the tracker too much if he is close, especially inside lockers. Also make sure you use the lean back trick + hold your breath or else he will find you.

What's this about holding your breath? Is this mechanic Introduced? I don't have a ps camera. I only just met Axel.

Also how do you check what chapter you are in? Does it tell you in the pause screen or sumit?

SRTtoZ

What's this about holding your breath? Is this mechanic Introduced? I don't have a ps camera. I only just met Axel.

Also how do you check what chapter you are in? Does it tell you in the pause screen or sumit?

Its because they don't properly explain it. What you need to do when you're in a locker or any of the little boxes you can get into, hold the Left analog back (downwards) so you backup in the locker AND hold L2 I believe it is (on consoles). Don't let go of the trigger until they go away or they will hear you exhale. While you're holding your breath the screen will start turning red on the sides and you will get those white dots showing you're running out of oxygen but don't let go, ride it out. Oh also if you're trying to practice it then remember it wont actually let you hold your breath unless an enemy is nearby.

keit4

Banned
Damn, the androids are way scarier than the alien. That moment when you turn around and you find one of those bastards staring at you with those red eyes.

Jobbs

Banned
Damn, the androids are way scarier than the alien. That moment when you turn around and you find one of those bastards staring at you with those red eyes.

eh, I disagree completely. androids can be easily kited, and,
aside from the super powered version late in the game -- which can also be easily killed if you have rail ammo
can easily be killed.

After months of deliberating, I cracked and bought the Nostromo Edition for $39.99 tonight. My plan is to start it tomorrow or Wednesday, beat it over a week or so and then sell it for $30-40 once finished.

I'll likely play on normal because I have limited experience with stealth games, and don't want to get frustrated.

How's the 'free' DLC that comes with it?

taizuke

I think you're okay. The cloud save shouldn't have the civilian death registered and when you proceed it should be from there. Can't say 100% unfortunately but it seems reasonable all such data would be in the save file and you've overwritten the one that notes you killed someone.

I think you could also re-start chapter 11 from menu and it would use the autosave created right at the start of the chapter which should also be clear of the death.

Thanks for the reply.

Afterwards a facehugger got me but i paused it right then and there and reloaded my previous save. The Alien also got me on a later mission but i reloaded my current save before the save icon appeared.

I just got to mission 17 and i should be fine but i can't shake the feeling that maybe i'll have to start all over again. We'll see.

SRTtoZ

After months of deliberating, I cracked and bought the Nostromo Edition for $39.99 tonight. My plan is to start it tomorrow or Wednesday, beat it over a week or so and then sell it for $30-40 once finished.

I'll likely play on normal because I have limited experience with stealth games, and don't want to get frustrated.

How's the 'free' DLC that comes with it?

Its good. Short but good, especially if you have ANY interest in the Alien(s) universe.

taizuke

Good news. Got the plat so everything i did to prevent it worked.

Once again a facehugger almost got me during mission 18 but somehow i burned the shit out of it. I knew it was coming but he surprised me by coming from the side instead of expecting him from the front.

Will move on to the SP DLC.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Just got the game, downloading now.
How's the game performance and balance after all the patches ?

taizuke

Just got the game, downloading now.
How's the game performance and balance after all the patches ?

Cutscenes used to look weird as if a few frames were off but the first patch fixed that. Aside from that haven't noticed anything else. The game already looked and performed beautifully.

On PS4 btw.

On Demand

Banned
Its because they don't properly explain it. What you need to do when you're in a locker or any of the little boxes you can get into, hold the Left analog back (downwards) so you backup in the locker AND hold L2 I believe it is (on consoles). Don't let go of the trigger until they go away or they will hear you exhale. While you're holding your breath the screen will start turning red on the sides and you will get those white dots showing you're running out of oxygen but don't let go, ride it out. Oh also if you're trying to practice it then remember it wont actually let you hold your breath unless an enemy is nearby.

Don't forget holding your breath won't work until it tells you to do it.

Does the motion tracker just pick up movement from npcs/ enemies?

While waiting for the transit at the end if mission 4 the motion tracker was indicating movement from an area where there was no enterable room or vent. I dunno if it was the alien.

I didn't see the alien at all through mission 4. Except after contacting Samuels towards the end of the mission I noticed a roof vent dripping with goo. This was when backtracking to the transit hub area.

taizuke

Does the motion tracker just pick up movement from npcs/ enemies?

While waiting for the transit at the end if mission 4 the motion tracker was indicating movement from an area where there was no enterable room or vent. I dunno it was the alien.

I didn't see the alien at all through mission 4. Except after contacting Samuels towards the end of the mission I noticed a roof vent dripping with goo. This was when backtracking to the transit hub area.

Yes. Motion tracker picks up npcs and enemies.

Don't worry you'll see the Alien soon enough and once you do you'll wish he never appeared in the first place.

Experien

Anyone know why this game was designed to only let you play 5 minutes before the full game is DLed?

Super anxious to play but 15GB is not enough to play :(

SRTtoZ

Don't forget holding your breath work until it tells you to do it.

Correct but if you hold the buttons when you get into the locker she should automatically do it when prompted. At least thats what I remember from when I played it on PC when it first came out. I would just hold S and right click and never got caught.

EGM1966

Good news. Got the plat so everything i did to prevent it worked.

Once again a facehugger almost got me during mission 18 but somehow i burned the shit out of it. I knew it was coming but he surprised me by coming from the side instead of expecting him from the front.

Will move on to the SP DLC.
Yah those face huggers drove me mad first time through. Good to hear it worked out though.

On Demand

Banned
Correct but if you hold the buttons when you get into the locker she should automatically do it when prompted. At least thats what I remember from when I played it on PC when it first came out. I would just hold S and right click and never got caught.

I think i remember when i tried that on PS4 it didn't work. I had to release L2 and press it again when it came on the screen. I'll have to try it again.

Just finished mission 5. Fuk that was tense. I'll post the rest of my thoughts in spoilers.

best mission so far imo. Once the alien spawned after getting the access code in Morleys office I knew that this would be my first real test.

Unfortunately I died a couple of times right after he appeared coz I didnt really appreciate the surroundings.

After though it went fine and I made good use of hiding in lockers n under desks. A couple of occasions I got very lucky, just hiding in time before he appeared in the doorway of the room I was in.

I also found the correct room straight away when doing the 'search the patients rooms Morley does his rounds in' objective.

After that I made it back towards the doc but had 1 major scare.

Near where the alien first drops from the roof vent there is a central room with a save machine. I hadn't saved for ages so when I reached this room I decided to chance it.

The text saying enemies where nearby came up and I dropped to a crouch under the save machine. I could hear the alien right behind the wall where the save machine was. The door to this room is also right beside the machine.

I was panicking thinking I'm fucked but then equipped a noisemaker. I threw it down the end of the room but immediately regretted it. The alien would surely use the door right beside me.

Sure enough he did. I was still crouched under the save machine but now leaned right into the wall. I might as well have been clipping though it.

Amazingly the alien strode in but completely missed me. As he was walking up to the noisemaker I silently snuck out through the door he came in. I then walked briskly enough to the doc's reception to trigger the final mission cutscene.

Such a relief

Jobbs

Banned
Just finished mission 5. Fuk that was tense. I'll post the rest of my thoughts in spoilers.

best mission so far imo. Once the alien spawned after getting the access code in Morleys office I knew that this would be my first real test.

Unfortunately I died a couple of times right after he appeared coz I didnt really appreciate the surroundings.

After though it went fine and I made good use of hiding in lockers n under desks. A couple of occasions I got very lucky, just hiding in time before he appeared in the doorway of the room I was in.

I also found the correct room straight away when doing the 'search the patients rooms Morley does his rounds in' objective.

After that I made it back towards the doc but had 1 major scare.

Near where the alien first drops from the roof vent there is a central room with a save machine. I hadn't saved for ages so when I reached this room I decided to chance it.

The text saying enemies where nearby came up and I dropped to a crouch under the save machine. I could hear the alien right behind the wall where the save machine was. The door to this room is also right beside the machine.

I was panicking thinking I'm fucked but then equipped a noisemaker. I threw it down the end of the room but immediately regretted it. The alien would surely use the door right beside me.

Sure enough he did. I was still crouched under the save machine but now leaned right into the wall. I might as well have been clipping though it.

Amazingly the alien strode in but completely missed me. As he was walking up to the noisemaker I silently snuck out through the door he came in. I then walked briskly enough to the doc's reception to trigger the final mission cutscene.

Such a relief

this is definitely when it gets real, and it's a pretty tough section especially for someone who is brand new to dealing with the alien. The way back was fucking intense -- so when amanda gets pissed off at the guy for sending her out there, the emotion felt so real because I was personally so rattled from the experience.

this is definitely when it gets real, and it's a pretty tough section especially for someone who is brand new to dealing with the alien. The way back was fucking intense -- so when amanda gets pissed off at the guy for sending her out there, the emotion felt so real because I was personally so rattled from the experience.
Yes I agree. Her voice actor does a great job and the moments when she speaks and what she says really mirror what I'm thinking/feeling.

I also never thought about going back to the
room where you speak with the doctor after the alien grabbed him. Coulda seen his messy end through his window in his office.

I just legged it once I could to the elevator.

raindoc

I started playing this yesterday. Am now at the part discussed above in spoiler tags.
Of course it's too early to say but fuck it: Bam! On the last day of 2014: my personal GOTY.

I started playing this yesterday. Am now at the part discussed above in spoiler tags.
Of course it's too early to say but fuck it: Bam! On the last day of 2014: my personal GOTY.

Ditto. I feel a bit guilty for being such a cheapass and insisting on waiting for the drop in price before jumping in, because this game has given me so much more value than any other game I've bought this year.

The world they built is wonderful and the use of graphics and sound to create such an intense feeling is amazing, it is a new kind of experience for me to get from a game.

I like that the game manages to create tension and dread without resorting to jump scares. I don't mind gimmicky games like P.T. and Slender using jump scares, because they are so short. I couldn't have played so many hours of Alien if random shit would have blown up my ears or exploded into my face all the time.

With all the positive, the game definitely is too long though. At some point, a man cannot restore power anymore.

I hope CA takes all they've learned and that wonderful world they built and make a sequel at some point.

Its good. Short but good, especially if you have ANY interest in the Alien(s) universe.

Okay. Thanks.

I'll have to watch a Let's Play on YouTube, because I returned the game and got my money back. I wasn't sure I'd love it and didn't want to own it/get stuck with it if nobody would buy it from me on Kijiji.

It turns out I'd put a hold on it at a library, which I'd forgotten about, and it became available today. I was really worried about there maybe being dust, fingerprints, smudges or dirt (food crumbs, etc.) on the disc, but it looks like someone like me had it first. It's flawless.

RedAssedApe

Banned
after going back through my trophy list...i think this game may very well be my GOTY (throwing out TLOU remastered by virtue since that was my 2013).

still in the process of playing gtav...but at this rate i don't think it'll dethrone alien.

I just got the flamethrower. I knew that it'd use up more ammo since I chose to play on Nightmare the first time around (apparently it breaks the game on hard?). Holy shit, my initial 500 ammo lasts about 5 seconds of continuous fire. I also tried the stun baton after I got it. 2 Chapters later and still haven't found any more ammo. Working Joes are getting off easy. That one I managed to stun then wack to death felt soooo good though.

Top Bottom