• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Shooter: Vengeance - Diablo + Crusader?

I just happened to stumble across this game while looking for new releases. I was a huge fan of the Crusader games for the PC and this game looks like it has that vibe going for it. The previews say it plays a lot like Diablo which could be a good thing. I am always up for a mindless action/RPG. Has anyone heard anything about this game?

Release Date: January 27th, 2007

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/alienshooter2/index.html

Edit: I just realized there is a demo. I am going to give it a shot. I'll let you guys know how it is.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/a...tml?sid=6163465&om_act=convert&om_clk=mostpop

Gamespot said:
This action role-playing game from CDV and developer Sigma Team features a look and feel that's similar to Diablo, but it has a sci-fi setting that's reminiscent of something closer to the movie Aliens

You'll play as one of six premade characters. There are three males and three females, and each has a separate backstory and beginning skill set. You'll get to select a specific perk, such as night vision, hypnotist, and even vampire, which lets you drain enemies of health and add that to your own. Then you can distribute a handful of points to your character's various attributes, such as strength, speed, and health but also including accuracy, proficiency with various weapon types, and more.

After character creation, you're dropped right into the first level, and the look and feel of the game should be familiar if you've played Diablo, Titan Quest, or any other action role-playing game.

933127_20060510_screen009.jpg

933127_20060510_screen008.jpg

933127_20060510_screen001.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Looks more Ultima than Crusader, though, being an RPG. Crusader was basically a third-person shooter.

I spent about a half hour with the demo and I am already bored with the gameplay. This game is nothing like an RPG and it plays more like a pure action title. The gameplay consists of killing endless waves of the same repetitive enemies over and over. Staying more true to an action title, you have 3 or 4 lives and when you die, you have to start the mission over. There is some stat management involved, but it is tough to care when the gameplay is this shallow.

I also had a hard time getting around the running animation of your character. He is a (badly rendered) 3D object running on what looks like a 2D plane. It makes him look like he is "floating" through the game. I think he has two frames of animation. It sounds nitpickey, but it is really distracting.

On the plus side, the game is very bloody. Everything you kill leaves gibs on the screen and after a few encounters, everything is covered in red.

Recommendation to Avoid.

Haunted

I'd never trust a CDV game. A disappointing dev/publisher imo. Also, Titan Quest provided more than enough of the Diablo game mechanic to last for a good while.

Top Bottom