• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: The Role-Playing Game

Has anyone checked out this tabletop role-playing game?

I was reading through the book as well as the Colonial Marines Operations Manual, which is a supplement, and it was so good at renewed my interest in Alien.

Both books are packed with background information in lore. I thought there was going to be little variety because how many times can you fight xenomorphs without just getting bored but they go above and beyond that. All the different corporations and factions are given lots of detail.

The books cover a lot of the Alien expanded universe so many of the video games are mentioned in this.

Plus, you have hints that there are other strange alien races around. Some of them are from the Bug Hunt anthology.

Even if you're not into tabletop role playing games, there is a lot of lore and background information that makes it well worth the read.

Alien-The-Roleplaying-Game.png

Didn't realise there was a "proper" D&D style Alien RPG out there.

I've always wanted to have a crack at Nemesis, which is an Alien tabletop game in all but name :)

It's fairly new. It was released in 2019. So there's not many books on it yet. It's the core rule book, Colonial Marines Operations Manual and some campaign story modules. This October releasing a new supplement dealing with exploring the galaxy.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Go back and try to find the Leading Edge Games Aliens RPG from the early 90's. Great character creator and the combat.....well let's just say the stat block for the pulse rifle was half a page of numbers :p

oi750U3.jpg

Esca

I've wanted to play this quite a bit. I'll need to bring it up. Marvel just came out with their own ttrpg which looks neat

It reads like it’s fucking awesome. I’ve prepped for a short one shot, but I’m always tired and it’s hard to line people up. I’ll do it soon though.

DKehoe

Yeh I’ve played a couple games and really enjoyed it. We did a short one shot and one of the books, Heart of Darkness. One of the things I really enjoyed with it was each character having their own secret agenda they’re working on. It gives this feeling of corporate espionage style paranoia that adds another layer to the horror of the Aliens themselves. You’re all working together to survive but you’re also not quite sure how much you trust each other. In the last game we played I ended up intentionally destroying the space station we were on, and that was my character probably being the morally best out of the group since by then I was the only one acting to stop things spreading beyond the station. If you’re playing it I’d recommend using the premade characters, at least for your first few times. They come with backstories and agendas that tie into the scenario and unfold as you progress through the various acts.

Yeh I’ve played a couple games and really enjoyed it. We did a short one shot and one of the books, Heart of Darkness. One of the things I really enjoyed with it was each character having their own secret agenda they’re working on. It gives this feeling of corporate espionage style paranoia that adds another layer to the horror of the Aliens themselves. You’re all working together to survive but you’re also not quite sure how much you trust each other. In the last game we played I ended up intentionally destroying the space station we were on, and that was my character probably being the morally best out of the group since by then I was the only one acting to stop things spreading beyond the station. If you’re playing it I’d recommend using the premade characters, at least for your first few times. They come with backstories and agendas that tie into the scenario and unfold as you progress through the various acts.
I like how the game doesn't just focus on the xenomorph. There's all sorts of other things like corporate espionage and all the different factions you can deal with. They're actually seems to be a lot of human versus human conflict.

Plus, it looks like they're introducing expanded universe aliens. That means there's strange extraterrestrial beings that are not related to xenomorphs.

So all in all the game is pretty good. The background information about everything works so well here. I'm really digging it.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I like how the game doesn't just focus on the xenomorph. There's all sorts of other things like corporate espionage and all the different factions you can deal with. They're actually seems to be a lot of human versus human conflict.

Plus, it looks like they're introducing expanded universe aliens. That means there's strange extraterrestrial beings that are not related to xenomorphs.

So all in all the game is pretty good. The background information about everything works so well here. I'm really digging it.

Yeh from what I read it seems like if you are doing a longer campaign they advise you keep the xenomorph aspects to being pretty rare and focus more on the corporate espionage. My group just did the shorter style it calls the cinematic scenarios.

Top Bottom