• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines review thread of broken dreams and movie references

tolkir

257651qu2b.gif

They outsourced the SINGLE PLAYER?

Who the fuck does that? Nerve did some of multiplayer maps for it... What the hell did Gearbox actually do?

And it's pretty obvious in this thread who has seen the assembly version of Alien 3 and who hasn't. The Alien 3 released at cinemas isn't an overlooked masterpiece. It's a good film that was compared directly to one of the best sequels ever made, that it wasn't even really trying to be anything like. It was overly criticized for not being Aliens 2, but yeah, it's nothing special.

That assembly cut though, is so much better. I don't normally prefer directors cuts / extended cuts, unless it was the original vision (Aliens extended edition wasn't. Alien extended edition wasn't. Cameron and Ridley both had final cut on the theatrical releases), I've never felt an extended edition of a film improved the original release nearly as much as I feel the assembly cut of Alien 3 improves on the theatrical version.

I mean, there was more room for improvement, but damn. If Fincher had completed the film and had final cut on it... I don't think it'd even be a controversial thing to suggest. I think many people would feel the same way.

MickeyPhree

And it's pretty obvious in this thread who has seen the assembly version of Alien 3 and who hasn't. The Alien 3 released at cinemas isn't an overlooked masterpiece. It's a good film that was compared directly to one of the best sequels ever made, that it wasn't even really trying to be anything like. It was overly criticized for not being Aliens 2, but yeah, it's nothing special.

That assembly cut though, is so much better. I don't normally prefer directors cuts / extended cuts, unless it was the original vision (Aliens extended edition wasn't. Alien extended edition wasn't. Cameron and Ridley both had final cut on the theatrical releases), I've never felt an extended edition of a film improved the original release nearly as much as I feel the assembly cut of Alien 3 improves on the theatrical version.

I mean, there was more room for improvement, but damn. If Fincher had completed the film and had final cut on it... I don't think it'd even be a controversial thing to suggest. I think many people would feel the same way.

Well said sir....well said.

Or were nearly as mindnumbingly boring. Shit, the first hour of Deus Ex, complete with inaccurate as shit weapons, had more satisfying gunplay than Borderlands at its most super-duper-juiced up. But loot!

Borderlands = Diablo in 3D with guns.
I liked Borderland's "boring" gameplay, as you put it.
If you knew how to grab missions, and carry them out expediently, you were in the action a good amount of time.

Can't say it enough - Borderlands, like Left4Dead, was designed to be played as a 4-player online coop game. Beginning to end.
If you guys are basing your opinion on these games' campaigns from playing them solo - you were doing it wrong.
Yea, playing those games by yourself IS boring, I agree.

vidcons

Banned
Borderlands = Diablo in 3D with guns.
I liked Borderland's "boring" gameplay, as you put it.
If you knew how to grab missions, and carry them out expediently, you were in the action a good amount of time.

Can't say it enough - Borderlands, like Left4Dead and Dead Island, were designed to be played as a 4-player online coop game. Beginning to end.
If you guys are basing your opinion on these games' campaigns from playing them solo - you were doing it wrong.

it's a bad 4 player mmo with lazy nerd jokes that hope to cash in on reddit people being like "Wow! They read reddit!" even though games are made for those people to begin with so

fuck borderlands

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I despised Borderlands 1 but I loved Borderlands 2. However I will admit that it had some pretty head-scratching design decisions.

If Sterling is still reading, there better be concept art to go with his Dead Space fan-fic... :lol

Speaking of Dead Space, I'm going to spend tonight playing small doses of Dead Space 3 and AvP Classic in quick succession to try and trick myself into thinking I'm playing a great aliens game with amazing modern graphics. Because there isn't any other way that's going to happen any time soon.

AHA-Lambda

Wait the single player was outsourced? So you're basically telling me Gearboxs name shouldn't even be on this?

This just gets worse and worse.

It's sad to think the last time we had such a high profile critical bomba was duke nukem forever FROM THE SAME DEVELOPER!!

Speaking of Dead Space, I'm going to spend tonight playing small doses of Dead Space 3 and AvP Classic in quick succession to try and trick myself into thinking I'm playing a great aliens game with amazing modern graphics. Because there isn't any other way that's going to happen any time soon.

Play Dead Space 1, it'll work better than Dead Space 3

Well, this thread got me to take the plunge on X-Com.

Oh I will be killing some aliens with my squad of space marines.

Apath

Wait, now the latest AVP was okay? I thought everyone said it was shit.
Its pretty cheap nowadays
I never bought it but I thoroughly enjoyed the multiplayer demo on 360. I would have bought it if the online weren't dead.

Top Bottom