• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alita: Battle Angel

Durask

My biggest issue is that I think they missed the point a bit with Iron City. The original version is more of a shit hole and as such makes this whole concept of the rich city in the skies as well as Hugo's motivation feel stronger.

Kushiro said that he liked it.

Iron city of the movie seems to be fun! I want to live there myself! Dystopia that looks like fun, this is important!
When people who do not understand and make it, Iron City is just a gruesome, dark and dangerous image of Dystopia. But Alita: Battle Angel staff know...!! They know exactly what I wanted to draw in the town of Iron City.

Last edited:

Lokimaru

Aren't 3D TVs practically dead by now? The high-end TV models I was eyeing from Samsung and LG didn't have any 3D. =/
Yeah my old workhorse is a Vizio Theater 3D set. It's taken a beating over the years but still does it's job. I get new specs for it from the movies every now and then since it uses the same tech. Still own the ones I got from Dredd3D.

Lokimaru

Iron city of the movie seems to be fun! I want to live there myself! Dystopia that looks like fun, this is important!
When people who do not understand and make it, Iron City is just a gruesome, dark and dangerous image of Dystopia. But Alita: Battle Angel staff know...!! They know exactly what I wanted to draw in the town of Iron City.
Kinda prefer Olympus from Appleseed as far as Anime Dystopian Futures Go.
266905.jpg

Well that or any place with My Spirit Animal.
Captain-Brenten-Dominion-Tank-Police.jpg

Last edited:

gatti-man

Skipped this just like i skipped Ghost in the Shell. Fuck Hollywood and their retarded fast food remakes.
This is made with far more love and commitment than Ghost in the Shell. When it came out Rodriguez was fully committed for a sequel and fleshing out the world. They literally introduced the sequels cast in the first movies back ground if you pay attention. Nothing fast about this movie at all.

Rockondevil

I was told by so many people this is a great movie and I finally got around to watching it this past weekend and it lived up to the expectations I had.
Really enjoyable movie that now makes me want to give the manga a go.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I watched it last night and I thought it was solid. Once she
got the sword, she was pretty badass
A notch below Ready Player One IMO. Is a sequel already in the works?

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Finally got around to watching this and it's phenomenal. It's a shame that it did poorly in theaters because I really want a sequel. Hopefully Cameron finds some cash to throw at it and make it happen.

Maybe I have cataracts but I'm not watching the same movie as everyone else. I'm nearly 40 minutes into this thing & so far, the CGI work & animation is so obvious & inconsistent it's distracting. That first fight scene in the alley at night? Jesus Christ, that animation & choreography was rough (characters moving like cartoon animations is jarring). The whole movie so far is extremely stilted, i.e. I get impression people give certain awkward performances & scenes a pass because they're impressed with Alita's visual effects (or believe the Manga origins means different rules apply to the movie). Replace that girl with an actual real-life actress delivering the same performance & we're in Avatar territory... i.e. Shyamalan's Avatar The Last Airbender.

FYI, I don't give a damn about the source material & I'm just a regular science-fiction/action fan.

Maybe I have cataracts but I'm not watching the same movie as everyone else. I'm nearly 40 minutes into this thing & so far, the CGI work & animation is so obvious & inconsistent it's distracting. That first fight scene in the alley at night? Jesus Christ, that animation & choreography was rough (characters moving like cartoon animations is jarring). The whole movie so far is extremely stilted, i.e. I get impression people give certain awkward performances & scenes a pass because they're impressed with Alita's visual effects (or believe the Manga origins means different rules apply to the movie). Replace that girl with an actual real-life actress delivering the same performance & we're in Avatar territory... i.e. Shyamalan's Avatar The Last Airbender.

FYI, I don't give a damn about the source material & I'm just a regular science-fiction/action fan.
I disagree with everything you say. Alita is the best heroin in movies I have seen in a while imo

ruvikx

Banned
I disagree with everything you say. Alita is the best heroin in movies I have seen in a while imo

I myself disagree with you right there. This stuff isn't original, it's a variation on the classic hero/heroine tale whereby a nobody (with amnesia) in search of her identity becomes a warrior against evil & inspires others around her whilst fighting ze bad guys. I also reiterate my point about the special effects, animation & fighting choreography as well. When Christoph Waltz was swinging at the guy in the alley, it was stilted as hell.

Teslerum

I myself disagree with you right there. This stuff isn't original, it's a variation on the classic hero/heroine tale whereby a nobody (with amnesia) in search of her identity becomes a warrior against evil & inspires others around her whilst fighting ze bad guys. I also reiterate my point about the special effects, animation & fighting choreography as well. When Christoph Waltz was swinging at the guy in the alley, it was stilted as hell.

So, you're talking about her backstory/plot, you're not really saying anything about her character.
And yes, the character archetype may not be something original, but it doesn't have to be.

Alita is charming, witty and a brilliantly executed character arc. Alita's journey of self discovery, her emotions, her edges and flaws are very well presented throughout the movie. There's a huge difference between the Alita we meet at the beginning of the movie and the Alita we meet at the end. And that entire journey ends up being very believable.

And that is no small task to pull of. *Originality* does NOT determine quality.

Last edited:

Life

The scythe/hammer thing the Dr carries.......so unconvincing and unbelievable. He could barely walk with it and somehow he's this bounty-hunter killing dangerous warriors.

Also, any reason why Alita just lets her BF (rushed/forced romance) get killed in front of her?

Interesting premise and high quality production - but instead it follows a predictable path that we've all seen before. Maybe its sequel won't.

Last edited:

McCheese

Amazon digital version comes with the special features, means I can keep my 4k disc sealed for future generations of cyborgs to enjoy.

Tako Ou

Banned

That's interesting. Do you have a source for that ?
I myself love Battle Angel : Alita and its sequel, and I also loved the movie.
However one of the things I like about it is how dark the world is depicted (imho). I always felt that each story arc somewhat ended on a sad note. Making the whole thing quite grim, hopeless and dark. There is humor and Alita always manage a cheerfull approach at somepoint but yet at this end of the day characters died, were manipulated or simply had a very sad fate to begin with.
So I am genuinely interested in the author's intention. Seems weird to me that he was hoping to create a world people would want to live in. :)

Durask

That's interesting. Do you have a source for that ?
I myself love Battle Angel : Alita and its sequel, and I also loved the movie.
However one of the things I like about it is how dark the world is depicted (imho). I always felt that each story arc somewhat ended on a sad note. Making the whole thing quite grim, hopeless and dark. There is humor and Alita always manage a cheerfull approach at somepoint but yet at this end of the day characters died, were manipulated or simply had a very sad fate to begin with.
So I am genuinely interested in the author's intention. Seems weird to me that he was hoping to create a world people would want to live in. :)

It's from his blog

Tako Ou

Banned
It's from his blog

Thanks.
That was an interesting read, usually authors are not so welcoming to rewrite of or alteration to their work/characters, here he seems appreciative of the rewrites of Makaku, Yugo and especially Ido.
That's twice in a row with Tsukasa Houjou and the recent french movie adaptation of city hunter.

Last edited:

JCK75

Personally I don't recall any other 4K UHD Bluray package I've ever purchased including a 3D copy in the deal before, my local theater stopped running movies in 3D years ago so I do like watching them at home once in a while so while if forced to choose I choose the 4K it was nice to have the second option included.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Got a copy as a gift for a friend of mine since he missed in theatres and I'm going to let him watch it on my 4k setup to make up for it. As much as I love the manga I had no interest in the film but I guess I'll see how it goes.

Typhares

Just finished watching it, it's alright but having read the manga like a dozen time I can't help but be disapointed with all the story/atmosphere changes which to me remove a big part of the charm. It feels quite dumbed down in a way.
Nova not being an insane scientist for one but just being the big bad of zalem is the biggest one probably.
Also I'm sorry but the eyes are still annoying me, I've read what the director had to say about it but I disagree, it's still distracting and she is the only fucking one with these massive eyes.
Entertaining, visually it's also great for the most part. Worth a watch for sure but to anyone attracted to the setting I would recommend the manga first and foremost.

Fbh

Well if he likes it that's cool I guess, can't argue with that.
As a reader though it still didn't give me the same vibe. In the manga it was a "fun" world in the sense that, yeah, a city with cyborgs and bounty hunters and weird violent ball games is fun to read about, but it never gave me the feeling of a place were it would actually be fun to live in.
A Dystopia were it would be fun to live in kinda goes against the whole concept of a dystopia.

Watched it finally. Really liked it. Surprised it bombed. I actually don't like James Cameron films. I have only liked this film and The Abyss. Everything else of his I kind of hate.

What I didn't understand from the critic reviews was the accusation of a shallow story. Normally I feel that way about Cameron films, but this movie has a lot going on. Alita is a complex character. At one level she's playing the pinocchio role, and another she's a teenage girl, and then she's also essentially a soldier in a war that ended. On top of that, she's foreign to this future world much like the viewer, and also foreign in other ways I won't spoil. The world building is a part of story, but film reviewers rarely understand that.

My criticisms are Hugo and that Iron City wasn't depressing enough to earn Hugo's motivation and arc. The line about "you're the most human person I know" or whatever wasn't earned in the story. It was a big moment that fell flat for me.

I'll spoiler tag this, since it involves specific plot point. It's about the dog and rating systems.

Also, here's another way the film could have driven the viewer to understand the desperate need to go to the floating city: that cute dog. They introduce the dog early on. He's an inverse Chekov. Something so sweet you know it can only be doomed. He's practically toto in the film. And he's given extra meaning with the dog bounty hunter. Then he's brutally killed... off camera. John Wick pulled this off. Alita doesn't. I actually think if they filmed this better and maybe shown the carnage a bit, then the dark reality of this Iron City life might set in via the treatment of the dog. However, they didn't quite get it right. I guess the dog represents innocence, but more needed to go on. In Wick, the dog is the last remnant of a memory of the love and life he had. In Alita, the dog is just a hungry dog that eats her gyro.

But I imagine they were jumping around ratings boards and PETA fuckwits. Unfortunately, it felt like the dog was meant to land the darkness but it just a note in an action sequence. It doesn't land like it should.

Last edited:

Labolas

Watched it again on blu ray. Still an enjoyable movie. But if it had a grimmer and darker tone to it, I think it would have put up over the top for me. Like I said before it felt it was trying show violence of the manga while tiptoeing around it to get a pg 13 rating.

Watched it finally. Really liked it. Surprised it bombed. I actually don't like James Cameron films. I have only liked this film and The Abyss. Everything else of his I kind of hate.

What I didn't understand from the critic reviews was the accusation of a shallow story. Normally I feel that way about Cameron films, but this movie has a lot going on. Alita is a complex character. At one level she's playing the pinocchio role, and another she's a teenage girl, and then she's also essentially a soldier in a war that ended. On top of that, she's foreign to this future world much like the viewer, and also foreign in other ways I won't spoil. The world building is a part of story, but film reviewers rarely understand that.

My criticisms are Hugo and that Iron City wasn't depressing enough to earn Hugo's motivation and arc. The line about "you're the most human person I know" or whatever wasn't earned in the story. It was a big moment that fell flat for me.

I'll spoiler tag this, since it involves specific plot point. It's about the dog and rating systems.

Also, here's another way the film could have driven the viewer to understand the desperate need to go to the floating city: that cute dog. They introduce the dog early on. He's an inverse Chekov. Something so sweet you know it can only be doomed. He's practically toto in the film. And he's given extra meaning with the dog bounty hunter. Then he's brutally killed... off camera. John Wick pulled this off. Alita doesn't. I actually think if they filmed this better and maybe shown the carnage a bit, then the dark reality of this Iron City life might set in via the treatment of the dog. However, they didn't quite get it right. I guess the dog represents innocence, but more needed to go on. In Wick, the dog is the last remnant of a memory of the love and life he had. In Alita, the dog is just a hungry dog that eats her gyro.

But I imagine they were jumping around ratings boards and PETA fuckwits. Unfortunately, it felt like the dog was meant to land the darkness but it just a note in an action sequence. It doesn't land like it should.

Yeah, I agree it felt weird how they edited that scene in the movie. The rating does hurt the movie a bit for me.

Ulysses 31

Also, Alita's crush on Hugo feels unearned. They should've had the moments together they had in the anime where he tells his backstory with his brother.

Labolas

Well, the journos are calling Alita and its fans alt right now.
From the Independent:

"The alt-right make up a not insignificant proportion of Alita’s fanbase, and they are encouraged not to speak to '"fake news" outlets about their love for the film. While others insist that a smear campaign funded by Disney to diminish its chances at award shows and earn middling reviews from critics has prevented the film from becoming the earth-shattering smash it should have been. And it’s a murky puddle of conspiracy and hysteria that hasn’t just made #AlitaArmy the most unexpected community of individuals on the internet, but representative of the internet as a whole."

On the bright side, it's doing pretty well for DVD and blu ray sales.

Last edited:
Well, the journos are calling Alita and its fans alt right now.

You shouldn't post links like that. You should just copy / paste large sections of the text so we can laugh at them, while not giving them any page views.

And I actually liked Captain Marvel (outside of some of its stupider elements), but this was definitely better.

Top Bottom