• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Galaxy Note 7 Devices Are Now Banned From US Flights

Status
Not open for further replies.
All Samsung Electronics Co. Note 7 smartphones will be banned from airline flights by the U.S. government, according to a person familiar with the decision that will be a significant expansion of restrictions on the devices linked to almost 100 incidents of overheating and fires.
Flight restrictions were extended to each of the 1.9 million Note 7s sold in the U.S. and the devices now can’t be carried aboard aircraft even if they’ve been shut off, the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration and the Federal Aviation Administration will announce Friday.
Samsung on Tuesday said it was halting production and sales of the device following the latest spate of smoke, overheating and fire incidents in what was supposed to be a version that replaced a faulty lithium-ion battery with a safe one. The company estimates the crisis will cost it $5.3 billion in profits..

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ones-said-to-be-banned-on-u-s-airline-flights

samn

The fact they sent out replacement devices without making very very sure they wouldn't blow up is stunning. why anyone would consider buying a Samsung phone after this is a mystery to me.

RoKKeR

The fact they sent out replacement devices without making very very sure they wouldn't blow up is stunning. why anyone would consider buying a Samsung phone after this is a mystery to me.
Yeah, I'm out for my next phone. Shame, I love my S7 Edge.

Bearjewpiter

Neo Member
I just got off a flight about an hour ago where they did specify that while you can use electronics "the Samsung Note 7 must remain off for the duration of the flight". So I guess this is the early stages of the ban. Pretty crazy stuff, I've never heard a device singled out like this but then again I guess not many devices, save for the rogue e-cig, are prone to spontaneously becoming an incendiary bomb.

atr0cious

Thank goodness. I'm flying cross country next week and I know people are stupid enough to still hold on to their phones.

Earendil

What a giant mess.

BTW: Is GAF really slow for anyone else right now? It takes several minutes for each page to load.

MJPIA

Not surprised.
The replacements also catch fire and last I heard a couple days ago Samsung still isn't sure what's causing the issues.
So with every device having the potential to burst into flame for unknown reasons its not unexpected they would do this.
Airlines and the FAA generally frown upon things that burst into flame.

Rembrandt

Banned
jesus, samsung really fucked up. their saving grace is the lackluster upgrade between iPhone 6+ and the 7. but this shit will hurt their reputation for a long time. i know people with older samsung phones that are getting scared because of how they heat up which is a horrible thing for consumers to think. curious to see how they bounce back.

VW's emissions actually could have killed people though.

and they were deliberate.

it's not like the phones were deliberately made to be combustible.

it's more like that Prius recall with the brake failure that allegedly may have killed people. well, except without the killed people part. so glad they got those deadly cars off the road!

Trying to train TSA agents to know the difference between a Note 7 and other Samsung phones is going to be an exercise in futility.

I cannot imagine a way to damage a brand more than to make sure that every airport and every airline in America continuously announces to hundreds of millions of passengers to stop using that Samsung phone or it'll explode, and because it explodes it cannot go on any plane in the country.

Samsung's phone division might never completely recover from a fuckup this massive. It'll be amazing if they can.

Rembrandt

Banned
The phones didn't actually blow up.

They over heated when being charged. You would have to be some level of crazy to keep a phone by your face while that happened.

i keep my phone on my bed while it's charging, though. what if it blew up while i was sleep and i wake up with 1/4th of a face?

Cheebo

Banned
and they were deliberate.

it's not like the phones were deliberately made to be combustible.

it's more like that Prius recall with the brake failure that allegedly may have killed people. well, except without the killed people part. so glad they got those deadly cars off the road!

This is MUCH bigger than the Prius issue. Prius are a niche product to a small client base (currently).

This is a very mainstream product of a very mainstream product line. Huge marketing budget. Tons of commercials on tv before it got pulled.

I heard no one speak of the Prius recall. Nearly every single one of your friends, family, and co-workers know about the exploding Galaxy phones. The brand damage this has done to the Samsung smartphone line will be felt for a long time.

SURGEdude

The phones didn't actually blow up.

They over heated when being charged. You would have to be some level of crazy to keep a phone by your face while that happened.

Wasn't that just the first batch? I think the replacements had been lighting up randomly, like the one on the plane.

MJPIA

Here's the official release.
https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/dot-bans-all-samsung-galaxy-note7-phones-airplanes
What air travelers should know

If passengers attempt to travel by air with their Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices, the phones may be confiscated and passengers may face fines.

Passengers who attempt to evade the ban by packing their phone in checked luggage are increasing the risk of a catastrophic incident. Anyone violating the ban may be subject to criminal prosecution in addition to fines.

Passengers currently traveling with Samsung Galaxy Note7 phones should contact Samsung or their wireless carrier immediately to obtain information about how to return their phones and arrange for a refund or a replacement phone. Samsung has provided guidance for customers about refund and replacement options, as well as how to contact wireless carriers, at http://www.samsung.com/us/note7recall/ [external link]. Samsung is also answering customers’ questions at 1-844-365-6197.
If an airline representative observes that a passenger is in possession of a Samsung Note7 device prior to boarding an aircraft, the air carrier must deny boarding to the passenger unless and until the passenger divests themselves and their carry-on and checked baggage of the Samsung Galaxy Note7 device. Passengers absolutely should not pack the phones in their checked luggage.

If a flight crew member identifies that a passenger is in possession of a Samsung Galaxy Note7 device while the aircraft is in flight, the crew member must instruct the passenger to power off the device, not use or charge the device while aboard the aircraft, protect the device from accidental activation, including disabling any features that may turn on the device, such as alarm clocks, and keep the device on their person and not in the overhead compartment, seat back pocket, nor in any carry-on baggage, for the duration of the flight.
The Samsung Galaxy Note7 device is considered a forbidden hazardous material under the Federal Hazardous Material Regulations (HMR; 49 CFR Parts 171-185), which forbid airline passengers or crew from traveling with lithium cells or batteries or portable electronic devices that are likely to generate a dangerous evolution of heat. PHMSA has issued a special permit to Samsung to facilitate commercial shipment of the recalled devices by ground transportation.

ViciousDS

Banned
Eesh........I don't think I would want any new Samsung device until a month or two after launch at this point. Not worth having a phone blow up in my face while sleeping lol.

Been very happy with my OnePlus 3 though.

The absolute most hilarious and frightening part is they don't seem to know what's causing the issue. It's ALL THE INNOVATIONZZ lol

I've been on 6 flights this past week. EACH one had an announcement multiple times that Galaxy Notes should be turned off and not charged during the flight. Signage and announcements were also made in the airports. I honestly don't see how Samsung can recover here. I doubt the average person even realizes that it's the Note specifically.

ss_lemonade

I've seen a lot of people who still do not take this seriously and think that there's a conspiracy of sorts about sabotage and whatever because not a single incident has occurred in their country. I don't own a Note 7 but I think it's selfish for downplaying the issue and for not wanting to return your phone no matter what.

I read on another forum (slickdeals of all things) some guy plan to keep his Note 7. His plan is that since his Note is rooted, he will never update the firmware, and he will be extremely careful...

*Shake me head*

This surely beats VW's diesel gate as a giant company huge fuck up.

It does by a far shot. Vw diesel scandal is related to cheating. It doesn't harm anyone but the environment. The note 7 exploding batteries could easily lead to death and indirectly cause something like a plane crash.

If anything the Google Pixel team must be loving this.
Google is probably happy but also upset. For the average consumer, android is synonymous with samsung. So it makes android look bad as a whole.

With that said, they may get some switchers to pixel but probably not many.

would using a replaceable battery design help with their screw up on the whole battery problem?
probably not. They don't know what the issue is. They thought it was the battery at first but replacing those didn't seem to help. It's likely just the way the phone is designed from a cpu/power perspective.

It's kind of weird that they just started this announcement for US origin flights, when an international flight into the US I was on last week was already enforcing it. You would think it would be the other way around, or at least almost universal.

I have a Note 4. Am I gonna be hassled by TSA?

I have one as well. Have taken it with me on a bunch of flights since the whole Note 7 fiasco started. Haven't had an issue yet.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Big phone spotted. Look at back of phone to confirm if it says Galaxy Note 7 on it.

Not all of them say "Galaxy Note 7" on them - only the carrier versions do.

The unlocked ones don't:

galaxy-note-7-45.jpg

In a sense, I feel sorry for the Note 5 owners. The average TSA agent won't know the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom