• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Galaxy Note 7 Devices Are Now Banned From US Flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corsick

Not all of them say "Galaxy Note 7" on them - only the carrier versions do.

The unlocked ones don't:

In a sense, I feel sorry for the Note 5 owners. The average TSA agent won't know the difference.

I have an unlocked Note 5 that could lead me into this issue in the future. It has no carrier branding and only says "Samsung" on the back.

I have an unlocked Note 5 that could lead me into this issue in the future. It has no carrier branding and only says "Samsung" on the back.

Stencil this on the back:

no_bombs_131214009312_640x360.jpg

valkyre

The epitome of epic fail i guess...

Cant say that Samsung hadnt had it coming... years now they seem to focus more on mocking competitors rather than focus on their own shit. They behave like total arrogant douches throughout their marketing plans and now it backfired.

Very sorry for people that were affected/endangered by this, cant say though that i feel sorry for Samsung. They really needed to be taught a lesson. Hopefully now, they get the memo and they stop their juvenille trash talking of the competition and start focusing on their own products.

Ps: by the way for all Samsungs trash talk advertisements of the past, its quite ironic to listen every 10 minutes at the airports that Samsung phones are banned. Now thats one hell of a commercial right there...

giga

Going out on a limb here to say that the optics here will damage Samsung as a phone maker more than the immediate financial loss.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Should never have abandoned replaceable batteries. Come back home Samsung, there are a lot of people who want an update to their Galaxy Note 4 without loss of functionality (removable battery, stylus, micro-sd).

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The epitome of epic fail i guess...

Cant say that Samsung hadnt had it coming... years now they seem to focus more on mocking competitors rather than focus on their own shit. They behave like total arrogant douches throughout their marketing plans and now it backfired.

Very sorry for people that were affected/endangered by this, cant say though that i feel sorry for Samsung. They really needed to be taught a lesson. Hopefully now, they get the memo and they stop their juvenille trash talking of the competition and start focusing on their own products.

Ps: by the way for all Samsungs trash talk advertisements of the past, its quite ironic to listen every 10 minutes at the airports that Samsung phones are banned. Now thats one hell of a commercial right there...

It seems they have an inferiority complex issue. They are desperate to shake off image of being a copy-cat company of Apple to the point of obsession and neglected the customers.

I had one of these preordered as I wanted a change from iPhone ended up cancelling the preorder before the official cancellation now rocking the Xperia XZ and loving it.

Not all of them say "Galaxy Note 7" on them - only the carrier versions do.

The unlocked ones don't:

In a sense, I feel sorry for the Note 5 owners. The average TSA agent won't know the difference.

I look forward to all the nervous looks in airports now to Samsung phone owners, my self included. Using Galaxy S7.

As if anyone in their right mind would want to buy another Samsung phone after this fiasco.
I keep seeing this as a repeated comment, yet I'm wondering why. I'm sure some of it is driven by a weird bias, maybe a bit by a complete lack of empathy towards what others think, but definitely a comment that leaves the head scratching.

How does one product line, which has a <1% severe failure rate, out of dozens that have been ok for Samsung make anyone crazy for picking up their phones? Other companies have actually had worse recalls that kill people and yet people still buy their products.

I'm fully expecting some bullshit answer, so spare me that and answer me this: do you have any Microsoft hardware?

samn

I keep seeing this as a repeated comment, yet I'm wondering why. I'm sure some of it is driven by a weird bias, maybe a bit by a complete lack of empathy towards what others think, but definitely a comment that leaves the head scratching.

How does one product line, which has a <1% severe failure rate, out of dozens that have been ok for Samsung make anyone crazy for picking up their phones? Other companies have actually had worse recalls that kill people and yet people still buy their products.

I'm fully expecting some bullshit answer, so spare me that and answer me this: do you have any Microsoft hardware?

They sold people exploding phones, then they inconvenienced them by making them wait several weeks for replacements they assured would be safe, then the replacements turned out to be dangerous i.e. they didn't bother to do their due diligence even when they knew the stakes, and now they're putting a cherry on top by refusing to refund the Gear VR. It's the entire situation that shows how little regard they have for their customers.

I have a Microsoft keyboard.

They sold people exploding phones, then they inconvenienced them by making them wait several weeks for replacements they assured would be safe, then the replacements turned out to be dangerous i.e. they didn't bother to do their due diligence even when they knew the stakes, and now they're putting a cherry on top by refusing to refund the Gear VR. It's the entire situation that shows how little regard they have for their customers.

I have a Microsoft keyboard.
None of this explains why anyone would be crazy to get another phone from these guys. S7 and S7 edge are just two phones released this year that are completely fine to use, and to wager that every phone they release will have this many issues would be extremely stupid no matter how much shit Samsung deserves. People can think on their own and make adult decisions.

The Microsoft hardware was to point out you bought from a company that once made the Red Ring Xbox 360, something with a way higher failure rate. Yet you still use your Microsoft keyboard. Again, exploding phones are no joke, whatever goodwill Samsung lost is deserved with two recalls on the Note 7, but I think it's entirely silly to say anyone is questionable to buy a future phone from them.

I cannot imagine a way to damage a brand more than to make sure that every airport and every airline in America continuously announces to hundreds of millions of passengers to stop using that Samsung phone or it'll explode, and because it explodes it cannot go on any plane in the country.

Samsung's phone division might never completely recover from a fuckup this massive. It'll be amazing if they can.

Just imagine the glee over at Apple hq.

Arcipello

the fact that ALL of the reviews for this phone were in total praise of it is the real kicker. honestly this really shows how much we need to push forward with battery technology

panty

The fact they sent out replacement devices without making very very sure they wouldn't blow up is stunning. why anyone would consider buying a Samsung phone after this is a mystery to me.

What a weird connection to make. They'll be even more careful from now on so hell yeah I'm continuing to buy Samsung phones.

Now Samsung are refusing to refund Gear VRs on the basis that you could use them with another Samsung phone.

As if anyone in their right mind would want to buy another Samsung phone after this fiasco.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/57hygd/i_just_spoke_with_samsung_and_was_refused_gear_vr/

Oh you're just biased. Let me guess, an iPhone owner.

Trojan X

Banned
Too many idiots out there hanging on to their phones for no reason.

Admittedly, if I had a Note 7 and everything was fine with it then I would hang onto the phone like no tomorrow. However, from the point when Samsung did the mass recall and the US government barred the phone from flights, I would immediately think, "Game over. Fuck this. The phone is going back" and return the phone in exchange for whatever. No phone is worth keeping if the issues are expanded that significantly further.

Fliesen

Admittedly, if I had a Note 7 and everything was fine with it then I would hang onto the phone like no tomorrow. However, from the point when Samsung did the mass recall and the US government barred the phone from flights, I would immediately think, "Game over. Fuck this. The phone is going back" and return the phone in exchange for whatever. No phone is worth keeping if the issues are expanded that significantly further.

but why, though?
Android OEMs are already bad about keeping their phones up to date with latest Android releases and software fixes. You think Samsung would spend any real effort in keeping the Note line updated, let alone optimized? Same goes for the accessory market. Neither will you be able to find an attractive selection of cases that fit the Note 7, a year from now.

And don't get me started on the resale value. - it's not a collector's item...
The Note 7 is literally damaged goods. Unless you use your phones until they're pretty much dead (so, if you don't plan on handing them down or selling them), getting the full refund is the best option.

rezuth

None of this explains why anyone would be crazy to get another phone from these guys. S7 and S7 edge are just two phones released this year that are completely fine to use, and to wager that every phone they release will have this many issues would be extremely stupid no matter how much shit Samsung deserves. People can think on their own and make adult decisions.

The Microsoft hardware was to point out you bought from a company that once made the Red Ring Xbox 360, something with a way higher failure rate. Yet you still use your Microsoft keyboard. Again, exploding phones are no joke, whatever goodwill Samsung lost is deserved with two recalls on the Note 7, but I think it's entirely silly to say anyone is questionable to buy a future phone from them.

I don't think the red ring caused the Xbox 360 to explode or cause any kind of personal danger to you or your surroundings? I don't think that the replacements they sent out kept doing the same dangerous behavior did they? Stop using this excuse. This is bullshit, Samsung fucked up and everyone knows it.

What is there to defend? Of course people will have second doubts about buying a phone from them.

Yudoken

The Note phone series is one of the best and unique phone lines out there and it would be really a shame if they're stop making follow up devices because they've messed up the Note 7 so bad.
Maybe renaming it would be fine.

I personally only can say that the Note 2 was an excellent device for it's time and the Note 4 is even today still one of the best choices for a smartphone if you want a big 1440p amoled phone with expandable storage, removable battery and Spen.

No other phone delivers that.

If I see the phones which people praise like the Google phone or similar phones I really get rather disappointed.
Those phones are not really doing something very unique and getting a phone with the newest Android OS was always rather a bad idea if you really into rooting, flashing a custom recovery and of course xposed modules.

I can't use a phone without changing most of the app dpi's to 400 so they look much more compact and nicer.

I mean I had to download a xposed module to enable full sd card access with the Marshmallow update for a few discontinued apps I still happily use because the alternatives are far worse for me.

I don't think the red ring caused the Xbox 360 to explode or cause any kind of personal danger to you or your surroundings? I don't think that the replacements they sent out kept doing the same dangerous behavior did they? Stop using this excuse. This is bullshit, Samsung fucked up and everyone knows it.

What is there to defend? Of course people will have second doubts about buying a phone from them.
I'm guessing you entered the current conversation of mine with some bias already in mind, so I ask you to read again from the beginning before wasting my time.

Bl@de

Similar situation in Germany. On a flight to Berlin this week every device could be used in flight mode except Note smartphones. People had to turn them off. So maybe not banned, but definetly not good publicity.

Yudoken

Similar situation in Germany. On a flight to Berlin this week every device could be used in flight mode except Note smartphones. People had to turn them off. So maybe not banned, but definetly not good publicity.

Just Note 7 or the whole Note series?

I mean if they can't visually separate the phones and don't let people boot up and show the boot of the device (with the device name popping up) it would be really bad.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Just Note 7 or the whole Note series?

I mean if they can't visually separate the phones and don't let people boot up and show the boot of the device (with the device name popping up) it would be really bad.

I'm gonna be pissed if it's the whole note series. My 5 has never done anything wrong ;__;

M52B28

Banned
It does by a far shot. Vw diesel scandal is related to cheating. It doesn't harm anyone but the environment. The note 7 exploding batteries could easily lead to death and indirectly cause something like a plane crash.
Yes, this does harm the environment in certain ways.

If you go on a trip and your phone goes boom you could be held liable. Or it could burn up the car you are driving.

What a weird connection to make. They'll be even more careful from now on so hell yeah I'm continuing to buy Samsung phones.

One would have assumed the same thing after the first recall. One would have been wrong.

Oh you're just biased. Let me guess, an iPhone owner.

Someone can comment on the wisdom of people buying products from a company that has twice sold countless exploding phones without automatically being a fanboy for some other product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom