• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All three PSP Battlefront games are now available on Vita (NA)

I wonder who we have to thank for this. Sony? Disney? EA? Sale price aside, I hope the games sell enough to demonstrate there is enough of a digital PSP market for other major PSP titles, like WipeOut Pure, and obviously Portable Ops and Metal Gear Acid, stand a chance at becoming Vita/PS TV compatible. Or in the case of MGA, hitting PSN at all.

That would be amazing.
I would like Wipeout XL and Wipeout 3 on PSN as well while we're at it.

These are really good, I missed out on Elite and Renegade Squadron when they originally came out.

Really glad I got these. I got Force Unleashed PSP also and it's pretty awesome.

I'm ready for May 4th!

Falchion

This whole thread just blew my mind, I had no clue they were playable on Vita. All 3 can be configured to use both analog sticks right?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok I bought dark forces as well since it was $1.50. But...I can't put it on my vita? WTF?

I got it and tried it on PS3. It's an absolute garbage port. From the controls (you have to hold a button to strafe) to the ridiculously bad framerate (sub 5 at times), it's a mess.

And somehow I think the engine is rendering at lower than the 320x200 resolution of the PC version.

guess I should just get all the games?
was a little :/ about the $7 ones

Since you haven't had a straight answer:

Of Renegade or Elite Squadron, I would personally choose Elite Squadron because of the ground -> space battles. I found it adds a bit more variety to the game, and it still has the same campaign/galactic conquest/instant action of Renegade Squadron.

Of Elite Squadron or Battlefront 2, that's up to your personal tastes. Battlefront 2 PSP is a gimped version of the home console game, so if you played it on any other console it's not really necessary. It doesn't have a campaign (I never played those in Battlefront games anyway) but does have instant action/galactic conquest. It works really well on Vita because you can map aiming to the second stick, which differentiates it from the Squadron games which use trigger-based lock-on aiming (making them slightly easier).

Basically, you can't go wrong with any of them if you like Star Wars Battlefront games. I mean, I talk down of Battlefront 2 for being a gimped version, but it's still one of my favourite games of all time and having a portable version is ace.

Flunkie

Banned
I was really surprised with how well it worked. I could play Mos Eisley on Vita for days.

BF2 controls the best, easily. Which is sad because Renegade Squadron seems to be the best of them content-wise.

Also, the PSP Mega Bundle is now $20 instead of $40.

Happy fourth Everybody!

Really leaning towards Renegade after reading every single post here, but still torn...

How is renegade Vita mapping to second stick?

Bumping for PSA. I take it today is the last day this sale is going on?

Pulled the trigger on Renegade hope its good, but I can't play it for a while because of no room on my Vita. lol

Skyzard

Banned
Still can't decide which to get... leaning towards battlefront 2 for the remapping with aiming. Avoiding renegade due to the post about the graphics when coming from battlefront 2...

Is the combat actually fun in elite, not too cheap/arcade?

I mostly just want to play flying about about during a Hoth battle, shooting the legs of those walkers. I remember an old PC game I used to play with a really terrible joystick when I was younger. So much fun.

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppU21EsnfMs

Still can't decide which to get... leaning towards battlefront 2 for the remapping with aiming. Avoiding renegade due to the post about the graphics when coming from battlefront 2...

Is the combat actually fun in elite, not too cheap/arcade?

I mostly just want to play flying about about during a Hoth battle, shooting the legs of those walkers. I remember an old PC game I used to play with a really terrible joystick when I was younger. So much fun.

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppU21EsnfMs

2 is fun, but really gimped if you played the home console versions. However, the remapping works best - you can literally get perfect dual-stick controls and it's fun.

I'd recommend Elite over 2/Renegade personally. It feels the most developed.

Skyzard

Banned
2 is fun, but really gimped if you played the home console versions. However, the remapping works best - you can literally get perfect dual-stick controls and it's fun.

I'd recommend Elite over 2/Renegade personally. It feels the most developed.

Thanks. I picked up elite yesterday after seeing you can have flying hoth battles, I have battlefront 2 on pc. You can get great dual stick controls with elite as well after setting controls to alternative so you are aiming with the face buttons in-game, and you just assign the right stick to the face buttons. You can even invert aim with the game settings.

It's pretty janky though. The flying in Star Wars Shadows of the Empire (1998) seemed quite a bit better iirc. Could be worse I guess. Maybe need to spend more time with it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I liked the PSP battlefront games, but I would imagine they are almost unplayable now. Personally I wouldn't recommend them.

You can get great dual stick controls with elite as well after setting controls to alternative so you are aiming with the face buttons in-game, and you just assign the right stick to the face buttons. You can even invert aim with the game settings.

I had no idea you could do that. I thought it had lock-on aiming with the shoulder buttons?

I'll give it a try tonight :p

Top Bottom