• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alleged Foxconn insiders leaked details about Apple’s forthcoming devices on Reddit

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Verge

According to the subreddit’s moderators, the identities of the posters have been verified with proper documentation and evidence, but it’s not clear how trustworthy the information is - AppleInsider notes that there’s some basis to take this information with a grain of salt, and the mods noted that they’re only able to verify that the users in question would have access to this information.

AR Glasses

According to Foxconninsider, the project is called Project Mirrorshades (A reference to a 1980s Cyberpunk anthology?), which would be designed to bring AR to a larger audience.

The glasses consist of a “Kopin NED Acetate frame, Polarisized or prescription lens with Zeiss smart optics, Bone induction modules Microphones (noise cancellation), Light sensor Accelerometer for step tracking and head movement, app navigation Magnetometer for navigation, Capacitive Pavel Ceramic battery, Apple chipset, [and] Charging circuit BL5 Induction module.” They also reportedly came in crystal, champagne, and black colors.

Movement would play some role in the function of the glasses: Foxconninsider noted that for an app like Tinder, a user could shake their head for no, or nod for yes. A “small capacitive strip on” the arm would allow users to accept calls and control the volume, while Siri could also be used to make calls. The device would use a prism that “conveys NED display image to lens,” and would have 428x240 resolution.

The insiders noted that they only saw a “transparent reader lens but I understand they can procure polarised or prescription lenses,” that the frames were “Cellulose acetate Injection mold frames into an aluminum mold,” that they came in two sizes (men and women’s), and that they had a P3 frame design. There was also the possibility that there would be seasonal design updates. The materials cost for the devices would be around $150, which Foxconninsider noted would likely place the retail price in the $600.

It’s not clear if Mirrorshades will go forward, however. Foxconninsider explained that while they were a “unique design”, there was a 65 percent chance that the entire project would be canceled, because the batteries are difficult to produce.

iPhone 8

Foxconninsider referred to the overhauled iPhone as the iPhone X, and that production has been delayed, which is in line with some rumors that have surfaced recently. The user noted that some of the leaked designs weren’t accurate, and explained that the new version looked “more like an iPhone 7 with glass and without the AuthenTec's capacitive touch module.” When asked if which leaked image it looked like the most, they said that the middle one was the most accurate. The rear camera has been reoriented, and the bezel on the phone will be thinner on the Y-axis.

They also reported that they saw some “test units with fingerprint scanners mounted below the glass, but performance and yield rates were not good.” They explained that they haven’t seen a rumored rear fingerprint scanner, speculating that it might have been misinformation. The phone will apparently also use Facial Detection and a Retina Scanner, which will be “included in the front facing camera modules.”

They detailed some other tidbits about the overhauled model: it would come with 3GB RAM, that it doesn’t have an aluminum unibody, but instead had a “composite glass to allow wireless charging,” with a rear panel. They also noted that the new iPhone will be “water resistant” (a feature already shared by the iPhone 7), and that they won’t use USB-C.

Ton more at the link above.

Of course they won't use usb c. If they did, Apple would no longer be able to keep perpetuating the abomination that is Lightning Cables on us. I fucking spend like $100/year on these pieces of shit

Belker

I've read that Apple had teams working on 'imaginary' products, without the team being told, all to keep competitors confused. Wonder if that's the case with the specs.

Fuchsdh

I've read that Apple had teams working on 'imaginary' products, without the team being told, all to keep competitors confused. Wonder if that's the case with the specs.

Far more likely they just work on a lot of projects that they ultimately decide to shelve. What benefit is there to having your talented engineers and designers do stuff you know from the get-go you aren't going to pursue? Apple is secretive, but they aren't stupid. They'd get raked over the coals by their investors.

Im still on my first one after 2? years. /shrug

I would be as well, except my wife burns through them.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Honestly the specs seem a bit too out there for apple. They tend to coast just behind the wave of really future facing tech preferring to wait just a bit till it's cooler/slimmer/smaller/less power consumptive etc. I'd be happy to be wrong but it sounds too niche and expensive even for Apple.

rucury

Banned
No controversy. Just an option if users want to go straight to the source.

Ah okay, sounds good. Thanks!

OT: I refuse to believe the MBA is discontinued. I love mine and was looking to upgrade... The new Macbooks are stupidly expensive.

KillLaCam

Banned
Gonna laugh if they require a proprietary bs for the wireless charging like they do for everything else. Instead of just using Qi charging. I'd like them to do atleast 1 thing that isn't anti-consumer for once

The glasses sound really cool. But I'm not sure, that's really low res. Either way I hope that does well

Belker

Far more likely they just work on a lot of projects that they ultimately decide to shelve. What benefit is there to having your talented engineers and designers do stuff you know from the get-go you aren't going to pursue? Apple is secretive, but they aren't stupid. They'd get raked over the coals by their investors.

That's a fair point. I think I read that information in a bio article based on Jobs. I remember being surprised by it.

You're right that investors might have something to say, but I wonder how many of them would given Apple's position in the marketplace.

It's just that AR seems like such a big move for a specific product (instead of adding it to an existing one), but maybe they're looking for the next thing to create a market.

$100 a year on cables?

Well for starters I have 2 iPhones. Then I have at least 5 different places I frequently plug phones into (2 cars, 2 computers at home, 1 computer at work). And the quality of the things are complete shit, so after about half a year's wear and tear a cable is usually starting to get frayed at the tip, and eventually stops working all together. Fucking travesty.

I'll check out the Amazon ones.

Top Bottom