• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Allmusic dude throws a hissy fit over Bright Eye's awesomeness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zilch

Banned
Can't say I disagree, but I guess I don't really agree either.

Haven't heard either album, will buy at least one this week.

Jim Bowie was all, "Listen to Bright Eyes!" So I did. I didn't like it. But everyone seems to be in love with these albums, so I'm gonna give Digital Ash a shot. I hope you're right White Man, hxc_thugg, Jim Bowie, etc.

SD-Ness

Eh, the stuff I have by Bright Eyes is okay at best. List some of the good stuff...and then I'll see if I agree...

Manabanana said:
Jim Bowie was all, "Listen to Bright Eyes!" So I did. I didn't like it. But everyone seems to be in love with these albums, so I'm gonna give Digital Ash a shot. I hope you're right White Man, hxc_thugg, Jim Bowie, etc.
I don't know why anyone who isn't a 13-year-old girl likes this music, but I don't understand a lot of things.

Meh, I don't like Bright Eyes at all. And Conor is an annoying, minger cokehead.

Is it just me, or is Conor on every single magazine this month? I was at B&N today looking at the music mags, and like every magazine had a long ass Bright Eyes feature.

White Man

Scoot said:
I can't believe STE (the author) wasted that much time on panning this.

It's not even a decent, critical panning. It's a loooong personal attack. This is easily the longest AMG review I've ever seen.

So if someone were to describe this music to me, I'd think, "Wow, I'd love that! It sounds great!" But when I listen to it, I just can't like it. I don't know why. I'm sorry, guys I like. I don't like it. Jim, this should be you typing this.

Edit: This is after listening to a little over half of Digital Ash. I liked a couple of the songs, namely Gold Mine Gutted and Down the Rabbit Hole.

nitewulf

the whole article was a long whining prelude which took too long to reveal the crux of the matter.
conor oberst's age.
by the last paragraph i was almost having a heart attack, "BUT HOW OLD IS HE???? TELL ME NOW!!!!!! I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

soakrates

I normally like Erlewine's reviews, but Christ, that's some of the most blatant and ham-fisted verbal wankery I've ever seen. Good thing AMG still has Ed Rivadavia to fall back on.

Dead

well not really...yet
AMG can kiss my ass now, after theire godawful redesign I cant even look at that site

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Rolling Stone went nuts for these albums in the text, but gave Awake 4 and Digital 3.

kablooey

Ha, I just read that before coming here. Panning the music is one thing, but whatshisface goes completely out of his way to take a personal stab at Conor. That's not like him; even when he normally makes a shitty review (i.e. Beck's Midnite Vultures), at least he concentrates on the music. About a 1/4 of the BE review was actually dedicated to the music, while the rest of it is about media hype and expectations that has nothing to do with the music. What a jealous wanker.

Either way, I heard clips of the acoustic one on NPR, and I liked it. So I'll probably end up checking it out anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom