• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alone in the Dark reboot delayed to January 16, 2024

Draugoth

Gold Member
alone-in-the-dark-1280x720.jpg

THQ Nordic has delayed its Alone in the Dark reboot until next year.

Announcing the slip on its social media channels on Tuesday, the publisher said the game would now release in January so that developer Pieces Interactive could spend additional time working on the game.

“Our intention is to avoid competing with the wake of Alan’s epic release and to evade the dazzling skyline of cities adorned by the graceful swings of Spider-Man,” THQ Nordic explained in a press release. “We aim to truly remain as Alone in the Dark as possible. To honor this, the spine-chilling horror game has been rescheduled to unveil its horrors on January 16, 2024. This extension will serve a dual purpose: not only will it permit us to meticulously perfect the gaming experience, but it will also grant us the opportunity to fully immerse ourselves in the remarkable releases of October.”

Last edited:

Denton

Very good decision, this game would get slaughtered in October, just like other AA games have (Atlas Fallen, Immortals of Aveum, Shadow Gambit etc).

I am looking forward to it, hope it's good. I wonder if Alan Wake 2 is gonna survive its release date with good sales.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Probably for the best. Might be a decent little game.

The only thing that irks me is that stupid actor in main Role… why….

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Smart move. We are all too busy playing BG3, Starfied, and Armored Core. Hell, I still gotta play Trails Into Reverie. Alan Wake 2 is also a day one.

StueyDuck

Kind of expected after what they showed at gamescom (or rather what they didnt)

Still really don't know what this game really is, which is kind of exciting but could also be a big let down.

By that I mean is more of a walking Sim with spooks, that's what their demo was like. Or is it going to be more like resident evil style survival horror. The franchise has swayed between the so often.

I just hope it's more than a blooper style horror where you pick up an item and the game goes BOO then nothing happens

I vaguely remember seeing some alpha combat vid but it didn't show much

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You don't like David Harbour?
he's ok.
But he is a defacto TV detective and I don't want to see him in the game but my player. Maybe I will have a different feeling later on.

For example, Norman Reedus absolutely does not distract me in death Stranding. He 100% adds to the experience for some reason

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Hmm, I guess it makes sense, but a release in January is generally really easy to overlook. Two demos was already kind of overkill for this game.

Vlodril

Really good choice. A lot of games (like movies) got hurt trying to release next to everything else. More games should push dates to where is room to breath for them.

Dazraell

I think it's a good choice. Demo wasn't convincing and while I still want to check this game, I feel it would get slaughtered in sales if it would launch this October. I definitely wouldn't buy it. And with a new launch window not only they will have more room to breath, but devs will also have a few months for polishing. Sounds like a win win situation

Mr Hyde

Good. I want this game to be good but unfortunately, the marketing around it and the snippets of gameplay I've seen says otherwise.

xrnzaaas

First of many. A lot of the games will be escaping the October-November slaughter. There's only so much money and free time the players have available.

Last edited:

proandrad

Hopefully this means publishers are starting to realize video games made for adults, don’t need to be released during the holiday window to sell well.

Killer8

haha, they saw the preorder numbers and got cold feet.

demo was a bit crap

Annoying thing about the demo is that it didn't show anything. It was over in about 5 minutes.

I don't think anyone could reasonably infer what the final game will be like from such a tiny snippet of nothing. Which made it pointless.

I'd say they definitely need another, more substantial demo. A good chunk of 30 minutes of gameplay to really sell it.

Clover904

great decision. I want this game to succeed, but it was surely going to get overlooked because the October competition is beyond ridiculous. Between Spider-Man and Alan Wake, this game was bound to fail. I don’t mind waiting a few more months.

Montauk

Annoying thing about the demo is that it didn't show anything. It was over in about 5 minutes.

I don't think anyone could reasonably infer what the final game will be like from such a tiny snippet of nothing. Which made it pointless.

I'd say they definitely need another, more substantial demo. A good chunk of 30 minutes of gameplay to really sell it.

It was one of the strangest and most pointless demos I’ve ever seen.

So, the demo didn't do them ANY favors. Any hope of me pre-ordering this was lost within 1 minute of that gameplay.

On top of that, you're going to have a very hard time competing with Remedy production value and Alan Wake 2. (and I have to imagine there's a decent amount of overlap in their intended target audiences)

Good move, all things considered, but usually January is where games get sent to die, no?

Didn't expect them to address the competing elephants in the room though (Alan Wake 2, Spider-Man 2), so that's commendable. We never get quotes like that.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

I liked the demo.
It showed the graphics quality and UI for inventory and interactions.
I actually hope that it won't be a combat-focused title and since it's a reboot of the original (with some elements of the second one maybe?) they can go back to offering a puzzle solution as an alternative to combat.

Camreezie

he's ok.
But he is a defacto TV detective and I don't want to see him in the game but my player. Maybe I will have a different feeling later on.

For example, Norman Reedus absolutely does not distract me in death Stranding. He 100% adds to the experience for some reason
Norman reedus is fuckin terrible

If it means they will release the game in a more functional state and not actually require a day one patch I'm all for delaying games as long as it takes.

Good no one was going to buy this game over Alan wake 2, For a game that’s was coming out in few weeks they showed barely anything,

Top Bottom