• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alright GAF need your help. My wife wants an action Downton Abbey. TURN/Poldark/Outlander

Alright GAF, my wife and family members are looking for something to watch after Downtown Abbey & A Place to Call Home.

They would like it to have a little more action. Some people have suggested to her Outlander or Poldark. She is not big into nudity due to watching when kids are home. I looked a few up, seems Outlander / Poldark / Turn Washington Spies, and the Gilded Age are all possibilities. Anything else?

Can you recommend or not any of these series? Also anything you recommend, does it need to be bought, or is it on streaming?

Thanks.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
There was a short lived victorian action show by Joss Whedon I think on HBO last year.

The Nevers is an American science fiction drama television series created by Joss Whedon for HBO. The series is produced by HBO and Mutant Enemy Productions, with executive producers including Whedon, Philippa Goslett, Doug Petrie, Jane Espenson, Ilene S. Landress, and Bernadette Caulfield. The series premiered on April 11, 2021. The first season consists of 12 episodes, split into two six-episode parts. In December 2022, the series was canceled before the back six had aired and pulled from the HBO Max library on December 18, 2022. All 12 episodes began streaming on Tubi starting February 13, 2023.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Alright GAF, my wife and family members are looking for something to watch after Downtown Abbey & A Place to Call Home.

They would like it to have a little more action. Some people have suggested to her Outlander or Poldark. She is not big into nudity due to watching when kids are home. I looked a few up, seems Outlander / Poldark / Turn Washington Spies, and the Gilded Age are all possibilities. Anything else?

Can you recommend or not any of these series? Also anything you recommend, does it need to be bought, or is it on streaming?

Thanks.
My whole family watched Peaky Blinders together. And that almost never happens.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Thanks.
Different time period, but she might like The Tudors. I got bored of Outlander. I havent seen it yet, but Peaky Blinders?

Different time period, but she might like The Tudors. I got bored of Outlander. I havent seen it yet, but Peaky Blinders?
i will look into Peaky Binders. Anyone seen Turn Washington spies, Poldark or anything else not mentioned?

My wife is having surgery and will be laid up for a few weeks.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Poldark is excellent until the last season. Outlander has a lot of sex scenes so it doesn't seem to her tastes.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Thanks.

House of the Dragon? It's fantasy, but you could also describe it as faux historical fiction with dragons. Plenty of intrigue and drama and I don't think it has many if any embarassing steamy sex scenes.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Outlander has a lot of sex scenes so it doesn't seem to her tastes.

Outlander first season had quite a lot of them (plus male nudity) in the first season. The following seasons were MUCH better in that regard. Really liked the first four seasons.

King Dazzar

The Tudors has got some very saucy scenes.

I liked it as a young person for... reasons.
Lol. One of my favourite series. A lot of people didn't like it though. I dont recall them being too saucy or much nudity, well not like Rome or Spartacus or Game Of Thrones etc.

If you merge the Tudors with multiple historical dramas from Lionsgate+, you can actually follow all the history from pre Tudor and beyond, covering off the War of the Roses etc

Tams

Lol. One of my favourite series. A lot of people didn't like it though. I dont recall them being too saucy or much nudity, well not like Rome or Spartacus or Game Of Thrones etc.

Which one? :messenger_winking:

If you merge the Tudors with multiple historical dramas from Lionsgate+, you can actually follow all the history from pre Tudor and beyond, covering off the War of the Roses etc

I didn't know that! Might be my next binge watch.

King Dazzar

I didn't know that! Might be my next binge watch.
Yeah I forget the order you need to watch them in. But have look out for The Serpent Queen, Becoming Elizabeth, 2 seasons of The Spanish Princess, The White Queen and The White Princess together with revisiting The Tudors. There's a couple of months viewing and they all interlink historically. I enjoyed the journey.
Shaun The Sheep Movie Ok GIF

Top Bottom