• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge raises 88.5 million, growing at average of 9 million a day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

Being outraged at people bring outraged at the ice bucket challenge is the new being outraged at the ice bucket challenge.

Skele7on

Banned
It's more about the awareness then money, but it's nice it's getting both.

I got nominated yesterday evening, so I will be doing it tonight.

I am not excited as it is actually freezing today.

Stitch

Gold Member
Meanwhile at cancer research

tkGSy72.jpg

Mengetsu

Wow they must be in tears over there compared to last years raise which was like a million and a half dollars? This is just incredible.

marrec

Banned
Call me crazy, but we should do this for other diseases/causes if it is this effective.

The problem is that you need to catch lightning in a bottle. There's no reason that this specific way to raise awareness caught on and spread beyond the fact that the internet and it's memetics are fickle and impossible to predict.

I'm so sick of this whole "raising money for charity" thing.

Being outraged at people bring outraged at the ice bucket challenge is the new being outraged at the ice bucket challenge.

You're old hat, being 'outraged' = typing a forum post. Everybody is outraged. Passive aggressive by not posting is the new thing. I'm not jumping on that bandwagon.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Call me crazy, but we should do this for other diseases/causes if it is this effective.

It will happen. Probably not an 'ice bucket challenge' exactly but other organizations will try to catch this lightning in a bottle again.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
this is really fantastic. Amazing what something like this going this viral can do.

Meanwhile at cancer research

tkGSy72.jpg

i know you're probably trying to be funny but cancer has got to be one of if not the most well funded diseases around.

Lakitu

st5fu
Great news, hope we can reach the same momentum for other charities especially Cancer Research. But I have no idea how much Cancer Research gets per year. Probably much more.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Like Bill Burr said, there are board room meetings happening now with different advocacy groups talking about this. Don't you worry.

I think it's great!

Friggz

The most common argument is that research up until this point has yielded no results.

Personally, I have no issue with the campaign at all.

from my understanding there really isnt a whole lot they can do for ALS. From whatever science journals ive read, its virtually an untreatable disease, and really only something that can be slowed down.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/NCI/research-funding

Cancer research gets 5 billion dollars of government funding a year. Of course, cancer consists of many different types and affects a lot more people.

from my understanding there really isnt a whole lot they can do for ALS. From whatever science journals ive read, its virtually an untreatable disease, and really only something that can be slowed down.

It's untreatable because first of all, they don't even know what really causes the degeneration.

Stet

Banned
I'm already starting to see crap like this pop up

MTlhPaZ.jpg

This is so stupid and so easily refuted. 28% goes to research. 32% goes to public and professional education, which would include awareness campaigns and educating doctors on new treatments becoming available. 19% goes to patient and community services, which means in the case of patients with no family, creating projects to fund ways of getting them to their physician, or funding in-home care when they can't afford it or have no insurance. 14% goes to fundraising and 7% goes to administration, which is incredibly low.

I just don't understand why people go so far as to hamper a good cause with absolutely no research.

Slowing it down is by definition treating it. It's uncurable as of yet, but even finding new treatments is a huge benefit.

Kuroyume

Banned
But butttt what about the kids in Africa going thirsty because they have no water while people over here are dumping water on their heads?

Pastry

Banned
Has the challenge taken off internationally? I have friends doing it all around the world but we all went to college in the states so they're being challenged by Americans.

Mariolee

This is so stupid and so easily refuted. 28% goes to research. 32% goes to public and professional education, which would include awareness campaigns and educating doctors on new treatments becoming available. 19% goes to patient and community services, which means in the case of patients with no family, creating projects to fund ways of getting them to their physician, or funding in-home care when they can't afford it or have no insurance. 14% goes to fundraising and 7% goes to administration, which is incredibly low.

I just don't understand why people go so far as to hamper a good cause with absolutely no research.

Don't you understand though? NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT THE OTHER 72%.

Funny that we've come to grow as a society that will actually trust what we read on te internet as long as it passes a certain threshold of cynicism.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
It's the only thin thats on my facebook feed right now
I've been nominated but I'll probably just donate

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Has the challenge taken off internationally? I have friends doing it all around the world but we all went to college in the states so they're being challenged by Americans.

It's all over my turkish Facebook feed right now.

pr0cs

I'm just surprised that so many people I know that are doing it don't have a clue about ALS at all and seem to be doing it for fun. Its good that it is raising money but it's disappointing that so many people never bothered to read up and become knowledgeable on why the challenge exists in the first place.

I'm glad ALS is getting its time in the limelight.

I wonder how much farther this fad will last. Hopefully it continues for a good while longer...any strategy that gets people to open their wallets to donate is a winner in my book.

MUnited83

For you.
Here in Portugal only a couple few are actually donating to charity. Most of people here are doing a twisted version of it. It's Ice Bucket challenge. You nominate people to take the challenge. If they don't do it, they have to pay you a dinner.
I want to punch people in the face for turning something that was supposed to be about charity to this shit.

jmdajr

The hate almost comes in the form of peer pressure. I mean sure it's a fun silly thing to do, but it's not something you have to do. But if you don't do it you end up looking lame.

"No ice bucket challenge...are you... Chicken?

The important thing really is the donation. If you donate and don't want to drop ice on your head that should be ok.. But trust me, for most people it's not ok. It's more about the dare than the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom