• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I missing something with Rise of the Tomb Raider?

I'm a huge fan of Uncharted 4, but there is way more gameplay elements at hand in Rise. As for the story, it held my attention enough but the real reason I play games like this and Uncharted are for the acton, set peices, and the feeling of exploration and discovery. These games nail those moments. So I'm pretty pleased with them overall.

sora87

Still better than uc4 which was significantly more tedious and boring

GIF-Amused-Chuckle-Chuffed-Pleased-Point-Point-and-laugh-GIF.gif

I hate RotT story, the flash back cutscenes at least and lara's
obsession over her father's work

However, I am enjoying it's gameplay. The start could have been better but once they "release the training wheels" it's a much better experience. Honestly, it's way better than the first one in the gameplay department. Not flawless mind ya but I'm still enjoying it.

They really need to bring back lara's mansion as the tutorial. I wanna lock the butler in the freezer. If not him then jonah

Dinjooh

The only thing I noticed about your video was that '+20 XP' every time you got a headshot.

Please tell me you can turn that off.

Xav

But the TR reboot games suffer from the inverse Uncharted; TR games have stronger core gameplay and combat mechanics but very weak stories that are shoved in the your face (at least, the original 2013 game). Uncharted has a good/great story but only having 'good' gameplay mechanics that carry the narrative a long.

Despite my sour view of the story of the original TR Reboot, I did enjoy it a lot and I'm happy you really loved the game :).

I think that's a good way of putting it and I'm in agreement.

If I was in charge of Tomb Raider Reboot 3. I'd find some better writers, decrease the number of shoot outs and make the game more puzzle based. Basically I'd take those optional tombs and integrate them into the main game.

As for Tomb Raider vs Uncharted... don't care. As a gamer, I'm lucky to be blessed with both.

Harlequin

Yeah, it's boring, generic, forgettable and, most importantly, it's not Tomb Raider. It's generic cinematic third-person shooter #276. I mean, from a technical perspective it's a very well-made game but the game design and writing, well, they mostly range from meh to terrible (though a few of the mechanics are well-designed in and of themselves, I suppose).

kpaadet

My favorite part of Tomb Raider threads are to see all the random Uncharted comparisons that gets thrown into the discussion.

Harlequin

My favorite part of Tomb Raider threads are to see all the random Uncharted comparisons that gets thrown into the discussion.

When talking about the reboot games, they're definitely not random. Before that the series had pretty little in common with Uncharted, yeah, but nowadays, I think the comparison is appropriate.

CoG

One of the most boring games I've played this gen. Grabbed it cheap for the PC and quit 1/3 the way through and never looked back.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I really enjoy the game but the combat is a big step back from TR2013. Not that I care-- I think the combat needed to take a huge backseat.

The encounter design does not take advantage...or even seem to acknowledge...that very quickly into the game you get easily replenished AoE kill items that make every encounter a total joke. And yes, Lara is a headshot machine.

Personally I adored this game. Beat it straight through on Xbone, bought it on PC and played right through it again. I rarely replay games, so that's saying something.

I think RotTR is better than all of the Uncharted games. Just my opinion, jives more with my style.

Thanks for the impressions. Safe to say I should skip this one, I didn't care for the reboot and this sounds equally bad if not worse.

kpaadet

When talking about the reboot games, they're definitely not random. Before that the series had pretty little in common with Uncharted, yeah, but nowadays, I think the comparison is appropriate.
The OP made no mention of Uncharted, are we not able to discuss games without making the same boring comparisons? As soon as Uncharted was mentioned it just turned into the same TR > UC / TR < UC most TR threads turn into.

pastrami

Wait, they are still doing the scared Lara thing? She's whimpering while pumping a guy full of lead and then scoring headshots on the two guys behind him.

Vlaphor

Wait, they are still doing the scared Lara thing? She's whimpering while pumping a guy full of lead and then scoring headshots on the two guys behind him.

She's less scared and more bored and apathetic. She either doesn't care about what she's doing, or she really doesn't want to be doing it.

Travo

I'd love to try this out soon. I've heard nothing but good things, until this thread though. Hopefully, the PS4 version is still on track for later this year.

Fredrik

As for Tomb Raider vs Uncharted... don't care. As a gamer, I'm lucky to be blessed with both.
Same here, both are great games that nobody should ignore, we're talking about 9/10 or 10/10 on both depending on your preferences.

However, I got to admit that I certainly liked Uncharted 4 more, not when just talking about gameplay though which I think TR does better but from a complete package perspective and the overall entertainment, I simply couldn't put it (UC4) down until I had finished it. I loved the UC4 story, the ending, and the big action set pieces, the stealth gameplay was a great addition too, but I'd never bother doing a 100% playthrough on UC4 like I did with TR which says a lot. Superb entertainment but UC4 is too linear to replay imo and simply not fun enough to wander off and explore stuff. But still, UC4 is the definitive GOTY this year, with no competitor in sight. At least it was until I played Inside... which just blew me away!

Harlequin

The OP made no mention of Uncharted, are we not able to discuss games without making the same boring comparisons? As soon as Uncharted was mentioned it just turned into the same TR > UC / TR < UC most TR threads turn into.

Whether it's a good idea to bring up these comparisons or not is a different matter, I suppose. I merely said that they aren't random.

c0pium

Neo Member
Picked it up on sale last week and am having a hard time getting into it. The story is awful. The fact that the Remnant have no accent or British accents boggles my mind. I know its nit-picky but it really breaks the immersion for me.

I also find the that the graphics aren't even that great on PC. Playing basically maxed at 1920x1080 and Xbone screens look better.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm in the same boat as OP.

I think CD really overdid it with the collectathon. I mean, I realize it's my own fault, but still. The big areas (Soviet base and Goethermal Valley) are the biggest pace breakers ever. IMO they should not have done that. TR2013 had only one bigger area (the beach) and even that one was way, way smaller than anything in RoTR.

I finished TR2013 multiple times but still haven't RoTR. Can't believe how much they fucked it up. May give the whole thing another shot and ignore they whole collectable shit (which will be difficult because I'm kinda OCD when it comes to that).

I agree with the OP. So much stuff to collect and if you don't collect them all you feel like your going to handicap yourself later on in the game due to lack of upgrades.

I can only play so much at a time before switching to another game.

I don't think Uncharted 4 is very good, but I'd have to give it the edge here. RoTR was so bland that I couldn't even finish it. The input lag was annoying too.

Itachi87

Story was crap, but I expected that. TR reboot also had a crap story. Gameplay is not the best, but it was still fun. I played it at the hardest difficulty and didn't feel like it was a hard game.

In RotTR she's very emotionless about everything around her. Early on you'll see her get paranoid and angry but later on she just has a blank expression throughout the whole game.

Calm Mind

My only complaint about RoTR was why did they axe the online multiplayer from the original? It was the best thing to ever happen to the series. It was so good I found it on par or surpassing Uncharted 2's multiplayer in some instances.

CDV13

What's a mouth breather?

A group of humans who don't use their nose. Sometimes a medical issue, most of the time not. Mouth constantly agape, usually accompanied with a blank stare and horrible breath.

See Draymond Green for example. (Yes he plays basketball, which would force heavy air intake, but he is a mouth breather at all times)

Harlequin

Those little puzzles were the best part of the first one. I was sad to hear they didn't make those play a bigger role in the sequel.

I think platforming is one of the things people tend to overlook when it comes to TR games nowadays. You hear everyone talking about puzzles and yes, the puzzles are important and there should be more and more challengine puzzles, but for me, the bigger problem is that none of Crystal's games have had good old Tomb Raider-style platforming. It's all been over-automated, unchallenging, boring ledge-hopping orgies that feel like a chore to play. There were points in the reboot and in ROTTR where I had the feeling (if even just for a few seconds) that they were trying to make tiny baby steps back towards classic TR platforming (which is more than I can say for Legend, Anniversary or Underworld) but those points were few and far between and there just really needs to be a bigger focus on proper, challenging platforming.

TaterTots

Banned
I liked it. I would say it's equally as good as the reboot. It's actually more of the same. Why people are complaining about it being linear is odd. Not every game needs to be a "open world, go wherever you want" game.

Mman235

Those little puzzles were the best part of the first one. I was sad to hear they didn't make those play a bigger role in the sequel.

They're more involved in Rise than in 2013, it's just that when the benchmark to surpass was one room puzzles that had Lara give the solution half the time that's saying very little.

jackdoe

I really enjoy the game but the combat is a big step back from TR2013. Not that I care-- I think the combat needed to take a huge backseat.

The encounter design does not take advantage...or even seem to acknowledge...that very quickly into the game you get easily replenished AoE kill items that make every encounter a total joke. And yes, Lara is a headshot machine.
The AOE kill items were probably balanced for the Xbox One version and its horrendous input lag. On the PC though, where there was no input lag, it definitely made the game too easy.

Courage

I also like it more than TR2013 but that's not saying much. It's quite a literal expansion of that game, with more things to collect, side quests to complete, weapons to upgrade. I dig that it fleshed out its Metroidvania influence a little more, and the tombs designs were an improvement over its predecessor.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow, this game has been praised for months, surprised at all of the negativity outpouring in this thread.

Still, haven't played it yet, but this feels like the first mass dogpile I have seen since launch.

jelly

First one was better. ROTR is lovely looking but there is so many boring things to do and the fights are so easy and dull, drags the whole game down. They padded it out and added nothing exciting. It's basically stretched out and less focused, the Tombs are a prime example, same old stuff but it takes you 5 mins more to get there in the same linear path, a nice looking one but what does that add?

I highly enjoyed ROTR. Much more than the first one, and I really liked that one too. I think this franchise is at its best right now.

Caayn

I enjoyed ROTTR more than the original.
My only complaint about RoTR was why did they axe the online multiplayer from the original? It was the best thing to ever happen to the series. It was so good I found it on par or surpassing Uncharted 2's multiplayer in some instances.
I doubt that they wanted to invest resources into a mode that was dropped really quick by the community for their previous entry in this franchise.
Play with nothing but the bow.
Agree, this makes the game a lot more fun.

c0pium

Neo Member
Wow, this game has been praised for months, surprised at all of the negativity outpouring in this thread.

Still, haven't played it yet, but this feels like the first mass dogpile I have seen since launch.

I was really excited for it, loved the first. Was going to wait for it on PS4 but when i saw it on the Summer Sale I decided to dive in. Maybe the surge is from others doing the same?

Courage

First one was better. ROTR is lovely looking but there is so many boring things to do and the fights are so easy and dull, drags the whole game down. They padded it out and added nothing exciting. It's basically stretched out and less focused, the Tombs are a prime example, same old stuff but it takes you 5 mins more to get there in the same linear path, a nice looking one but what does that add?

Tombs in the first game were extremely easy. ROTR's tombs at least have somewhat elaborate, cohesive designs within each one that take are more involved and take some time to complete.

Blackage

The first Tomb Raider was more like Uncharted, more combat, more big set pieces, more moving the story from location to location on the island.

Rise of the Tomb Raider kinda drags on in some areas, the set pieces aren't nearly as memorable and the entire game just feels significantly more boring.

I personally enjoyed the first game from start to finish and had to force myself to play through and beat Rise of the Tomb Raider. I just found it really monotonous experience.

Liked Tomb raider 2013 and will get Rise when it's on sale for ps4 but it's really funny reading some comments on this thread. It's like some ppl are bringing up UC4 and saying Tomb Raider is better to make themselves feel better when OP didn't mention anything about UC4 lol.

Top Bottom