• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon’s stock price has soared past $800 for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lubricus

And I thought $400/share was too much. Oh well, back to my peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch.

Amazon has posted record profits for three straight quarters. Now it has a record stock price to go with it.

The company’s shares shot across $800 for the first time ever on Thursday morning. The company’s $386 billion market cap is the fourth largest in the world, behind only Apple, Alphabet and Microsoft.

Just seven months ago, the stock was trading 40 percent lower. But the growth of Amazon’s AWS cloud computing business and the surprising profits that have come with it helped propel the stock. Jeff Bezos’s company also continues to be fueled by its Prime members, who number in the tens of millions and spend more and shop more frequently than non-members do.

http://www.recode.net/2016/9/22/13017394/amazon-stock-price-record-jeff-bezos

LQX

I'm surprised Jeff Bezos is not the richest man in the world. He basically started Amazon from nothing by himself basically so I would have thought he would have held a bigger piece of it.

Bezos usually likes reinvesting all of that profit into expanding Amazon somehow rather than just collecting it into cash. What's interesting now is that Prime and AWS are both super scalable (and already working at massive scale) so it's hard to see ways to invest further in expanding already huge things (outside of the assorted video/music value adds to Prime), but also that Amazon's forays into devices have been pretty unsuccessful outside of the Echo and reading-only Kindles (and devices were clearly where Bezos wanted to go next). I expect them to double down on making Amazon Video a bona fide Netflix/Hulu/HBO competitor, to double down on things like Amazon Prime preorder incentives, and to push the Echo really hard, but Bezos is going to have to let go of his pride and put Amazon Video on the AppleTV, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom