• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon announces AWS Wavelength, single digit ms latency for 5G services

Chittagong

Gold Member
AWS Wavelength enables developers to build applications that deliver single-digit millisecond latencies to mobile devices and end-users. AWS developers can deploy their applications to Wavelength Zones, AWS infrastructure deployments that embed AWS compute and storage services within the telecommunications providers’ datacenters at the edge of the 5G networks, and seamlessly access the breadth of AWS services in the region. This enables developers to deliver applications that require single-digit millisecond latencies such as game and live video streaming, machine learning inference at the edge, and augmented and virtual reality (AR/VR).

AWS Wavelength brings AWS services to the edge of the 5G network, minimizing the latency to connect to an application from a mobile device. Application traffic can reach application servers running in Wavelength Zones without leaving the mobile provider’s network. This reduces the extra network hops to the Internet that can result in latencies of more than 100 milliseconds, preventing customers from taking full advantage of the bandwidth and latency advancements of 5G.

Posting this in Gaming because I believe 5G is going to be a truly transformative technology accelerating the cloud transition.

Single digit millisecond latency will make Stadia and Xcloud feasible for the masses. 5G will will accelerate the end of consoles.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
It’s pretty incredible to think how quickly everything will flip. 4G is already way, way faster than my 100mbs broadband. The only reason it hasn’t become my primary connection is latency. When 5G becomes 500mbps 7ms vs my fibre optic 100mbs 25ms, fibre will go.

here is my 4G in London currently;

6uSaofQ.jpg

Here is my fibreoptic wifi:

lWeGAiN.jpg

Last edited:
Google controls the message and Amazon controls the medium. What could go wrong?

5G will change fuck all, to be blunt. The prices will be higher than 4G because 'new', 4G will become like 3G and phased out and data caps will be harsher than ever.

In the U.K. data caps have gotten worse as signal bandwidth has increased; you can no longer get an uncapped data plan on 4G, where only 2 years ago you could and/or receive 3G without 4G. I can't not have a 4G phone plan, which tbh, has pissed me off.

Edit: There are still some parts of the country which cannot receive a 4G signal...

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'm not big on the nerdness of G wireless networking which means this could be great, I think we're all seduced by amazing network speeds, it stinks when there's lag but the message is lag free and I think consoles will move on with streaming FYI, SONY doesn't need to when it already has so gamers should lay off SONY a little bit.

PocoJoe

Banned
Google controls the message and Amazon controls the medium. What could go wrong?

5G will change fuck all, to be blunt. The prices will be higher than 4G because 'new', 4G will become like 3G and phased out and data caps will be harsher than ever.

In the U.K. data caps have gotten worse as signal bandwidth has increased; you can no longer get an uncapped data plan on 4G, where only 2 years ago you could and/or receive 3G without 4G. I can't not have a 4G phone plan, which tbh, has pissed me off.

Edit: There are still some parts of the country which cannot receive a 4G signal...

Here at Finland we havent had data caps in ages, maybe +15-20y ago we had some.

And we are known to use tons of data as a country, so even when we have much less residents, dunno if that is real reason for data caps at UK.

1000mbps 5G is around 50€/month.

4G are 10-30€, from slower up to hubdreds of mbps.

I had unlimited 20mbps 3G 5€/month for +10 years, now they forced me to change to 4G at 12.90€/month, which isnt that Bad but I guess somewhat worse as 3G were good enough already

Ballthyrm

5G tech like this + Kuiper constellation is going to be a killer for Amazon.
Bald man Jeff is going to make enough money to build his O'Neill cylinder.

Maybe you missed that part.

sufficiently low. In that article they can't decide on what 'low' is.

Maybe you missed this part

Dr. Paul Ben-Ishai, a member of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem's Physics department, found that human skin is extremely conductive of 5G's EMF radiation. A study on his research by Arjun Alia for Collective Evolution described the sweat ducts as "a number of helical antennas when exposed to these wavelengths that are put out by the devices that employ 5G technology."

or this

International Agency for Research on Cancer's (IARC) conclusion in 2011 that frequencies 30Khz - 300 Ghz are likely carcinogenic in humans.[178] This research was seemingly confirmed by the National Toxicology Program (NTP) who studied prolonged exposure to RF radiation on rats and noticed significant increases in cancer formation.[179]

Or this

In January 2019, more than 180 scientists and doctors from 36 countries sent a letter to officials of the European Union demanding a moratorium on 5G coverage in Europe until potential hazards for human health have been fully investigated.[191] According to the "Statement on emerging health and environmental issues (2018)" edited by European Commission's Scientific Committee on Health, Environmental and Emerging Risks (SCHEER), "5G networks will soon be rolled out for mobile phone and smart device users. How exposure to electromagnetic fields could affect humans remains a controversial area, and studies have not yielded clear evidence of the impact on mammals, birds or insects. The lack of clear evidence to inform the development of exposure guidelines to 5G technology leaves open the possibility of unintended biological consequences."[192]

Or these:

In Mill Valley, California, the city council blocked the deployment of new 5G wireless cells."[193][194][195][196][197] Similar concerns were raised in Vermont[198] and New Hampshire.[193]

In August 2019, a court in the USA decided that 5G technology will not be deployed without environmental impact and historic preservation reviews.[202]

a series of small localities in the UK, including Totnes, Brighton and Hove, Glastonbury, and Frome passed resolutions against the implementation of further 5G infrastructure.[203][204] For example, the Totnes Town Council passed a symbolic moratorium on the building of additional 5G masts pending additional research on the health effects of 5G.[205]

To hand-wave it away is madness. I'm not saying it will kill everyone, but there is concern there.

We look back 100 years and laugh at what we used to do and not think twice about (Drinking water from the Thames). Will we look back in a 100 years from now and laugh at how we cooked our brains and planet with a technology that nobody is asking for, or needs?

Larogue

It’s pretty incredible to think how quickly everything will flip. 4G is already way, way faster than my 100mbs broadband. The only reason it hasn’t become my primary connection is latency. When 5G becomes 500mbps 7ms vs my fibre optic 100mbs 25ms, fibre will go.

here is my 4G in London currently;

6uSaofQ.jpg

Here is my fibreoptic wifi:

lWeGAiN.jpg
I've got good news for you. I've ditched my 200mbps home fiber where I live. As I'm getting way faster speeds when they rolled out 5G in my area.
And the latency is as good as a landline.

Last edited:
Top Bottom