• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Event Horizon Sequel Series!?

Really cool way to setup the 40K series.
I could actually see it happening with Amazon working with GW. Keep it subtle though, mention a Dr. Gellar in passing, if Mars is colonized have a character from there mention strange dreams as a child that lead him/her to becoming a scientist, have a person losing their mind after coming into contact with the fuckery mutter about the Four, etc.

And yes, Slaanesh existed prior to its birth even if it didn't, warp fuckery.

R.c1c7f506b0673d03d22b63646a179ef6

jason10mm

Gold Member
For me, Event Horizon worked as a horror film more than a sci-fi one, so I am skeptical about a TV series trying to maintain what I liked about the film over 8-10 eps or whatever. Explaining the warp further only dilutes it, IMHO.

What we need is to merge Event Horizon's visuals with Prince of Darkness as a series of future messages trying to salvage a disastrous warp gate induced holocaust....with anti-grav goo....and zombies....and a radiologist with glasses.

SJRB

Gold Member

40k is wild.

They use a special kind of force field called a Gellar Field to protect the ship from the daemonic influences during Warp travel.

The Warp is pretty much another dimension filled with evil and malice beyond human comprehension. It’s used to travel great distances across the Galaxy. The Warp itself is literally fuelled by all death and evil.

Event Horizon is a perfect prequel to 40k because what happens in the movie pretty much 1:1 happens in the 40k lore before humans figured out to protect themselves with the Gellar Field during Warp travel.

It's 2023 therefore I just don't have any hope it'll be good. I hope to be wrong though. I just want to be entertained. And I love event horizon.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I feel like the 40K universe is a hard sell in Hollywood today because it has a very "ends justify the means" ethos that modern writers might struggle with making the "hero". Plus all the fascist overtones, the relentless xenophobia, it's just so politically charged. I'd love it, but I can see why it's an uphill battle to keep pure.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I feel like the 40K universe is a hard sell in Hollywood today because it has a very "ends justify the means" ethos that modern writers might struggle with making the "hero". Plus all the fascist overtones, the relentless xenophobia, it's just so politically charged. I'd love it, but I can see why it's an uphill battle to keep pure.
I worry about this too. They will find a “hero” that hates the system or whatever but in reality that isn’t what would happen. There are literally entire arms of the imperium that root out and destroy “heretics”.

The entire system of the imperium is about not changing, at all.

They better not make them all “reluctant” as they wouldn’t be for the most part

I worry about this too. They will find a “hero” that hates the system or whatever but in reality that isn’t what would happen. There are literally entire arms of the imperium that root out and destroy “heretics”.

There is a ton of civil wars in imperium controlled space, it could be interesting to go that way

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
There is a ton of civil wars in imperium controlled space, it could be interesting to go that way
Yep, they fight internally almost as much as they do externally, maybe more. I want great crusade or the unification of earth to be the storyline. Maybe they do it in 30 k and the last thing we see is Horus going all Horus…y.

Yep, they fight internally almost as much as they do externally, maybe more. I want great crusade or the unification of earth to be the storyline. Maybe they do it in 30 k and the last thing we see is Horus going all Horus…y.
I feel horus heresy should be the first series they produce, starting with the luna wolves. Maybe do the first 3 novels of the series and dont rush Horus's fall this time around, I felt it wasnt that well executed in the books.

It would be the perfect way to setup this whole universe.

Edit: Also, Garviel Loken is the perfect hero to start with. Dude witnessed everything, he went from being a good little dog to opening that pandora's box

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I feel horus heresy should be the first series they produce, starting with the luna wolves. Maybe do the first 3 novels of the series and dont rush Horus's fall this time around, I felt it wasnt that well executed in the books.

It would be the perfect way to setup this whole universe.

Edit: Also, Garviel Loken is the perfect hero to start with. Dude witnessed everything, he went from being a good little dog to opening that pandora's box
I bet they stray away from anything already out. They will only do new stuff as it will be “safer”

jason10mm

Gold Member

Just look at Star Wars. In the OT the Republic was a shining utopian ideal crushed by the Empire.

Now there isn't a SINGLE PART of Star Wars that shows the Republic, new or old, as a noble, just, or worthwhile thing. So much anti-capitalism cynicism has infected every writer, consciously or not, that the very IDEA of a "good government" of any scale is anathema. At best you may get some sort of tribal, provincial, or pastoral "perfect society" of basically commune hippies that exist purely due to the ignorance or oversight of the capitalists.

So 40K is just toxic death to those writers as they can't just revel in the violence of it all nor appreciate the very real notion that the UNIVERSE is out to kill you and only by sacrifice can you achieve any peace.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Just look at Star Wars. In the OT the Republic was a shining utopian ideal crushed by the Empire.

Now there isn't a SINGLE PART of Star Wars that shows the Republic, new or old, as a noble, just, or worthwhile thing. So much anti-capitalism cynicism has infected every writer, consciously or not, that the very IDEA of a "good government" of any scale is anathema. At best you may get some sort of tribal, provincial, or pastoral "perfect society" of basically commune hippies that exist purely due to the ignorance or oversight of the capitalists.

So 40K is just toxic death to those writers as they can't just revel in the violence of it all nor appreciate the very real notion that the UNIVERSE is out to kill you and only by sacrifice can you achieve any peace.
Sorry, there is only war!

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
What is giving me hope is Cavill will be involved, we can see with the witcher that he likes staying close to the source
He does, I think I saw an interview with him about a role he would want and they mentioned Eisenhorn but he kind of shied away from it stating there were bigger roles, like a primarch.

Speaking of which, when is Vulcan coming back?!

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
He does, I think I saw an interview with him about a role he would want and they mentioned Eisenhorn but he kind of shied away from it stating there were bigger roles, like a primarch.

I heard a clip of that interview. He said it'd be shame to play somebody like Eisenhorn when you have a world of Primarchs.

Anyway, I have low hopes for a 40K series. There is no way it'd get the budget it deserves. To do it right, it'd need at least a billion dollar budget..........per episode.

I would see him playing Roboute, I dont know why, I picture him as big G.

What is holding back Vulkan's return is the grand total of 2 players playing salamanders :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member

What is holding back Vulkan's return is the grand total of 2 players playing salamanders

What is holding back Vulkan's return is the grand total of 2 players playing salamanders :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I suppose. Doesn’t his return also spell doom for earth? I’m trying to remember something to do with his artifacts…

Can somebody please explain the whole Event Horizon/W.H 40K association 'cause I don't get it ?

Cheers

Ok, a few relatively short videos will explain most of this better than me. The first video is a recap of Event Horizon, feel free to skip.

Dr. Weir's connection to the Event Horizon was the pathway that allowed him to be possessed by a daemon. Perhaps he was a latent psyker as well, but psykers did not manifest in humanity en-mass until the birth of Slaanesh around M25, kicking off the Age of Strife.

Also, the ship actually was alive. Ships that have spent millennia in the warp can develop various bio-mechanical monstrosities up to, and including the prow of a 15 kilometer ship opening up in a literal fanged maw as it plunges into combat.

This guy is a true 40k nerd who walks this theory through bit by bit, but watch the 2nd video above first for a little more depth on the warp.

Top Bottom