• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Item Refunded, Arrives: Return or Keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonCha

The answer sounds obvious, but I've had the items for almost a month now and can return them by June 17th. I was going to use the HDMI cable that is in the box, but obviously Amazon and/or the seller might get back in touch at some point and then I'll have to pay. Or are there more severe consequences I'm not aware of?

And I ordered other items assuming the items had been lost, which Amazon said had happened. Now in the situation where I've got mice, and two HDMI cables.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Amazon had the decency to return your payment off of your word alone and you are questioning what the right thing to do is?

Isn't keeping the item considered fraud?

Return the item or tell them it came and see what they say.

Davidion

Call and ask for instructions. Believe it or not it may be more detrimental for them to take a return on small items.

sangreal

just tell amazon if you want a clear conscience. they will tell you to keep it

if you really want to know the answer though, no they won't do anything if you keep the items anyway (even if they ask you to return them). based on my experience

JoeFu

Banned
Happened to me once, and they didn't let me return it.

It was a Flip camera I got for my cousin for Christmas. It was defective so I asked for another one. They were going to send it to my current address, but I found out my cousin was going back to Colorado before the item would arrive, so I called them up and told them to change the address. Right after the call I get an email saying it shipped to my house, and another one saying it was shipping to my cousin's house...

I tried to return the one they sent me, called them up and everything, but because they couldn't process the return on it they just told me to keep it.

BFIB

My cousin had the same issue w/ her PS3. She had it for around 8 months, and the hard drive crashed. She called Amazon, and they had her ship it back. Well, it came through a 3rd party company, so they sent her out another one, and Amazon also shipped one. Same tracking number, same everything.

She called Amazon and they told her that they shipped out, and paid the cost because the 3rd party company said they "just ran out". So she kept both, and that was 3 years ago.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You... know there are posters on here that openly work for Amazon and post in Amazon-related threads, right?

I ordered two books last week and Amazon sent me Mass Effect 3 in the mail. I have no order record for it, and have received no emails. I don't know what to do. It's still wrapped.

Chat with a representative and ask what to do.

When it's happened to me, sometimes they'll tell me to keep the item and sometimes they'll tell me to return it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I've had this happen before and started a chat session with an amazon rep and they told me to keep the product and the refund to compensate my 'negative experience'.

Amazon really does have world class service. Contact them and ask them what to do.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Return.

Amazon is fucking amazing when it comes to customer service. They are one of the few companies who give their users the benefit of the doubt in many cases and they deserve honesty given back to them.

Abusing their great service is the best way to make sure that great service is no longer around.

If this was ebay/gamestop/best buy I would say fuck them and keep it.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Leave the package at your doorstep, go take a shower and wait for a neighbor to steal it. When it eventually gets stolen, pretend like it never happened. Out of sight, out of mind.

RoadDogg

I'm curious to see how confused the amazon rep is when you talk to them.

2 Christmas' ago I ordered an exercise bike (I think it was $200). I got an email saying it shipped, then the day it was due for delivery I got an email in the morning saying my return was accepted and I was being refunded, and then that night the bike showed up. Keep in mind that I did nothing to initiate any of that, they just screwed something up. My guess is they shipped two bikes from 2 different DC's to try and get it to me as quick as possible and the slower one was scanned in as a return instead.

The next day I gave them a call and told the nice Indian lady that I received a refund on an item I didn't return. It took a good 30 minutes to explain that I didn't want to return the bike (she wanted to refund me again to return it...) and I just wanted to to charge me for what I received. She finally did what I asked but was still confused by the whole thing when the call ended. Needless to say if they do such a thing again I am going to send them 1 email and leave it at that, it isn't worth the time to explain their error to them.

pigeon

Banned
I ordered two books last week and Amazon sent me Mass Effect 3 in the mail. I have no order record for it, and have received no emails. I don't know what to do. It's still wrapped.

Legally, if a company sends you a product you didn't order, you own it and have no obligation to pay for it or return it. (This law exists because of mail fraud schemes that have long since been stamped out.) Of course, you can still call them and tell them they sent you something by accident if you want to be nice.

btkadams

you should contact amazon. a company should be made aware of inconsistent service. when you don't report stuff like this, it just allows their service to be shitty. not only is it the right thing to do (since you didn't pay for it), but you're improving the service for yourself and other customers in the future.

Return it.

Return it.

Return it.

Serious answer: return it.

Return.

Amazon is fucking amazing when it comes to customer service. They are one of the few companies who give their users the benefit of the doubt in many cases and they deserve honesty given back to them.

Abusing their great service is the best way to make sure that great service is no longer around.

If this was ebay/gamestop/best buy I would say fuck them and keep it.

like%20us%20button.jpg

Amazon once sent me 2 copies of a game I ordered and based on the packing slip the second copy was part of another customer's order. I contacted Amazon and they told me to keep the game. They were thankful that I pointed out the issue because the other customer was not going to receive their item.

pargonta

If you find an envelope in a bathroom stall with $1,500 in it. Please tell me GAF what would you do????

i would put the cash in my pocket, and deposit it into my bank account the next day.
...I might also leave the empty envelope and write "for jerry" on it.

OP as others say I think just a quick chat inquiry will decrease guilt and probably give you an answer

TEJ

this happened when I ordered disgaea 3, it said that it arrived and it didn't, I told amazon about it, sent me another copy, original copy arrived, I kept the original copy but when the second one arrived I sent it back to amazon.

I had the same problem and asked them what to do (mail was the guilty part).
Answer: Keep it, because you are so honest. Value was about 30€. I reckon the insurance for lost mail already kicked in and so they could be generous.

Trouble

Banned
Call Amazon and they will tell you to keep it.
Almost certainly. If you want to assuage your guilt, call them. For something cheap it's likely not worth the shipping and administrative costs to re-ingest the product into the system once it has left a fulfillment center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom