• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon launching Invitation based ordering for PS5, XSX for ALL members

00_Zer0

Amazon is starting an invitation based initiative to cut down on Scalpers and high prices for low stock, highly sought after items. They are starting with PS5 and XSX and look to expand this to other items. Here's hoping they add GPUs to the list!

You do not have to be a Prime Member to participate.

Here is the link to the article:

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/new...ion-based-ordering-for-ps5-and-xbox-series-x/

But how will I know the Amazon delivery driver won't place the package at the wrong house down the street? Or steal it and give me a giant box with bubble wrap?

I will kill them if they do this.

ManaByte

But how will I know the Amazon delivery driver won't place the package at the wrong house down the street? Or steal it and give me a giant box with bubble wrap?

I will kill them if they do this.
Put a description of your house into your default Amazon delivery instructions. That solved it for me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just curious how the system will know it's a genuine customer? Order history? If so, does that mean the more $$$ youve spent at Amazon gives you priority invite ranking?

Let's say I open up a new Amazon acct with no order history or I'm a new member with hardly any order history, and I request a invite. Will they think I'm a bot?

clem84

Gold Member
With the reality of the consumer electronics industry at the moment, I feel this is something that has to happen. The people that end up buying from scalpers are usually the type who are not even sure if they'll get one in a window of a few weeks, 2-3 months, and then they see one on ebay or FB marketplace for 100-300$ more and they jump on it. If someone knew their name is on a waiting list and it's a matter of time before they receive their console, I think most would be ok with that and there would be less people doing business with scalpers.

I think the best way to do this would be to have a mandatory 100$ deposit, or else a bunch of people will ask to be on the list with no real intentions of forking over the cash when their name comes up.

I predict this will somehow backfire and help scalpers, that probably already have multiple "genuine" accounts.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Really nice initiative but I really hope it wil be available worldwide and not only US.

Last edited:
They leave the package at the house without talking to you and taking your signature? Weird.

Put a description of your house into your default Amazon delivery instructions. That solved it for me.

I bought a Series X on Amazon last week and they gave me a code which I had to confirm with the delivery driver.

Was just joking around 🤣

Don't know why I need to put a description of the home though. The address should be enough.

Might give this a shot.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Is this an US thing? Here there has to be someone at home, you have to prove that you’re indeed the person that bought the product to receive it.
Where I am (Illinois) it usually depends on who is delivering. For Amazon via UPS I've never had to sign for anything and they'll leave it in front of the door even. Which in my case is an apartment hallway

Having to sign and/or be present would essentially fuck over the entire delivery flow as most people would be working during delivery times. Bigger stuff like my TV I was home for just because they couldn't really leave a TV in the hallway anyway, but the chances of someone stealing packages in this area is basically 1%.

The last thing I had to sign for was through DHL and it was a cheap item.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Where I am (Illinois) it usually depends on who is delivering. For Amazon via UPS I've never had to sign for anything and they'll leave it in front of the door even. Which in my case is an apartment hallway

Having to sign and/or be present would essentially fuck over the entire delivery flow as most people would be working during delivery times. Bigger stuff like my TV I was home for just because they couldn't really leave a TV in the hallway anyway, but the chances of someone stealing packages in this area is basically 1%.

The last thing I had to sign for was through DHL and it was a cheap item.
We have people working on buildings here that receive the packages for us but I see your point.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
They leave the package at the house without talking to you and taking your signature? Weird.
When ordering thru Sony Direct, there is a disclaimer that for consoles or just large items a signature is required. And I've rarely had issues thru Sony even with accessories.

Amazon? Its hit or miss depending on who the shipping provider is. Fedex in my area....more than once packages disappeared into a black hole. So many claims I am legit wary to order from Amazon now, because of Fedex. UPS has been good, USPS too. Amazon drivers with the TBA number....hit or miss.

Shipping in general has been terrible since the pandemic started.

Anytime someone actually knocks at my door I say thank you...because its so rare these days.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Wouldn't mind adding a PS5 digital to my office so I don't always have to go upstairs to play. I can wait for an invitation.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Yeah, saw this yesterday and joined for a PS5. Hopefully it's a while before I get a chance to pick one up.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Is this an US thing? Here there has to be someone at home, you have to prove that you’re indeed the person that bought the product to receive it.
Amazon leaves everything. It works out fine most of the time, but some of their drivers are fucking morons. I am the only house on a dirt road with a sign, its a short road off of another. These idiots sometimes deliver packages to the house opposite the dirt road or to one of the houses next to it. I had both a PS5 and a 3080 come from Amazon and get left on the stoop in 2020 with no issues.

Top Bottom