• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime Day | Celebrating 20 years of 100% claimed children's toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

I'm am utterly floored about how much of a thing this has become. It makes sense for Amazon to have a fitting celebration for their 20th anniversary but it must be because they invoked the "Black Friday" word because literally every online store is pledging some crazy sale in response. Some marketing guy just just lifted the entire industry.
Shows again that online shopping drives the bus at this point.

jadedm17

I just want to take a moment to thank everyone posting pictures, tweets, documents and anything else to help plan what to look for and when to look for it. You guys rock, seriously.

I really need a tv, I'm sick of playing my PS4 on my 720p tv. (My 1080p 60" plasma broke.)

SRG01

I wonder if the discounts announced are already on top of what they regularly sell for at Amazon. I'm looking at a certain espresso maker that's currently around 24% off on Amazon, and apparently it's going to be 30% off tomorrow.

Do we have some sort of list of what's supposed to go on sale for Canadian Prime users tomorrow or are has nothing come out yet? Can't seem to find a list of products that will go on sale on Amazon Canada.

Future

My parents called me to ask me if I knew about this Prime sale. I don't know how Amazon did it, but they made this a thing

numble

I'm am utterly floored about how much of a thing this has become. It makes sense for Amazon to have a fitting celebration for their 20th anniversary but it must be because they invoked the "Black Friday" word because literally every online store is pledging some crazy sale in response. Some marketing guy just just lifted the entire industry.

This is really just stolen from the Chinese online retailers' playbook. Taobao/TMall created 11/11 to be a day for online sales, and then the other online retailers made it a sales day.

JD has now done the same for 618, where other retailers followed. If you want to be up on online retailing trends, China is the place to look, since there is so much competition in China between Taobao/Tmall, JD, Amazon, and the other competitors.

In fact, Amazon using an anniversary date is right out of JD's playbook for 618, which is its own anniversary. I saw TV ads for other online retailers for 618, even though the date has no significance for those companies.

JD.com is one of the largest B2C online retailers in China, and the company launches a sales promotion every 18th June (618) to celebrate its anniversary.
https://www.behance.net/gallery/17129187/618-Party-On-JDcom

Alibaba turned Singles' Day, a Nov. 11 Chinese response to Valentine's Day, into an online shopping festival in 2009.

It copyrighted the "Double 11" term three years later after recognizing its commercial potential.

"You're seeing the unleashing of the consumption power of the Chinese consumer," Joe Tsai, Alibaba's executive vice chairman, told reporters.

Alibaba had sales of 35 billion yuan during last year's festival.

The numbers this year were boosted by a "pre-sales initiative" under which merchants advertised prices as early as Oct. 15, taking deposits for the items but only processing full payments and shipping the goods on Singles' Day itself.

Though the 27,000 vendors that take part can boost their sales and gain customers by being featured on Alibaba's Singles' Day shopping sites, some have complained that discounts and cut-throat corporate rivalry undercut the benefits.

Rivals such as JD.com Inc, Suning Commerce Group Co Ltd and Wal-Mart Stores Inc's Yihaodian have all gotten in on the Singles' Day act, but Tsai was bullish about Alibaba's pole position.

"I don't think any other company in China can create a day like this," he said.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/12/us-china-singles-day-idUSKCN0IV0BD20141112

Heysoos

Hm. TV deals don't really interest me since I can get better deals through work. One of those 144hz monitors might be nice, but I just bought my 29" Ultrawide this year, so that's definitely not needed. I guess I'll keep an eye out on SSDs and see if any games go on sale.

MJPIA

That Optoma HD37 intrigues me but I'm looking at amazon currently to see what the normal price is and there is no listing for that projector that is fulfilled by amazon or prime eligible.
All of the sellers are third party.

Do you have to have prime to see the sale price? I'm going to buy stuff from my fiancees account since she has the prime trial, but I have a bunch of stuff in my wishlist.

Future

TV spots... everywhere.

Ha, that's gotta be it. I don't watch tv so I wouldn't know.

It's amazing considering they don't even know what's gonna be on sale. Still excited because they know it's Amazon and assume it will be awesome, considering they are already cheaper than most retail outlets. Amazing

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ha, that's gotta be it. I don't watch tv so I wouldn't know.

It's amazing considering they don't even know what's gonna be on sale. Still excited because they know it's Amazon and assume it will be awesome, considering they are already cheaper than most retail outlets. Amazing

My mom, grandma, and wife all told me about it today. I don't watch TV much either but they all do and they know I've had prime since the start of the service. So I'm pretty sure the TV spots are exactly why this is so HUGE.

sikkinixx

I already know how this will go.

USA will get some insane deals (that will sell out instantly) that make me super pissed at Amazon.ca for being shitty.

I'll go off to bed, wake up only to find that there was one or two amazing deals, but they sold out right away. So even though I DON'T want to spend any money, I'll still be pissed I missed a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom