• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Prime Video for Canada coming Dec 1st 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
thegrandtouramazonprime.jpg

Many Canadians have already been enjoying select programming on Amazon Prime Video for approximately two weeks, but they won’t have to wait much longer to use the streaming platform in an official capacity.

Today, during the CRTC’s hearing on renewal of TV licenses, Bell confirmed that Amazon’s on-demand streaming service will officially go live on December 1st.

During the opening presentation, Mary Ann Turcke, President of Bell Media, stated, “Now, a new global OTT (over-the-top) competitor — Amazon Prime — is entering the Canadian market in two days. So it’s not just out fellow Canadian broadcasters who will try to outbid us for first-run, original programming but it’s Netflix and Amazon, two entities that are not subject to the same regulatory requirements as us and that have astronomically more buying power than we do.”

Bell operates CraveTV. The company recently announced it surpassed 1 million subscribers. Meanwhile, Shomi, the joint venture between Rogers and Shaw, is set to shutter on November 30th.

According to latest stats from June, an estimated 5.2 million Canadians subscribe to Netflix, an increase of 1 million in the past year. The Los Gatos, California-based company generates some $600 million in revenues thanks to Canadian subscribers.

Unfortunately, there was no indication if the full Amazon Prime Video content will be available to Canadians or if it will be limited to select titles.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/11/29/b...officially-going-live-december-1st-in-canada/

shira

Unfortunately, there was no indication if the full Amazon Prime Video content will be available to Canadians or if it will be limited to select titles.

priceisrightfail.mp3

Busty

Banned
There's a lot of other good Amazon shows. The Man in the High Castle, Transparent, Mozart in the Jungle...

To be fair I'd actually forgotten about those shows. Amazon just seems to lack an identity or a signature show. Something Netflix has been really good about in establishing their platform.

Given the difference in Amazon Prime Canada vs Amazon Prime US for not nearly enough difference in price, we'll take what we can get.

True.

jstripes

Banned
What makes you think it's on Amazon and not Apple?

Because Apple reached out to them? Because anyone can write an app for the Apple TV?

They even have an app for iOS.

Amazon wants you to buy into their Fire TV ecosystem. They even stopped selling the Apple TV on their site because "it doesn't support Amazon Prime Video". Sorry, but I only have so many HDMI ports...

To be fair I'd actually forgotten about those shows. Amazon just seems to lack an identity or a signature show. Something Netflix has been really good about in establishing their platform.

Their signature show is Transparent, it's won multiple Emmys.

Also Red Oaks is a phenomenal show. Second season is even better than the first.

Beefy

Amazon UK is far better then Netflix UK. All depends were you live.

Quick

Banned
At least I can finally watch some Amazon exclusives.

Feels good paying for Prime at half the price too (for now).

Vyrance

I really liked their Mad Dogs show too. Not to mention Amazon has ordered full seasons for The Tick and Jean Claude van Johnson

Bless up. This will finally justify my prime membership here since I don't buy so often from there anymore

Fuck the telecom companies btw. They can stay crying about it.

kswiston

Bless up. This will finally justify my prime membership here since I don't buy so often from there anymore

Fuck the telecom companies btw. They can stay crying about it.

They will console themselves by raising base cellphone plans by $10/month, while offering fewer options, again next year.

They're globally expanding (in a way), not sure if there was a thread at GAF.
https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/17/amazon-prime-video-global/

That said, it will take Amazon time to build up a library in Canada. Don't expect miracles.

The thing I'm worried about is that they licensed out their shows - if any of them are still on contract to Crave, it's possible they won't be available on APV until the contract expires. This is a problem Netflix had in some foreign countries where they launched after already sublicensing shows.

The invasion of American providers is problematic for our local economy but Bell is definitely not part of the solution. It never was. Fuck them.

Mindwipe

The thing I'm worried about is that they licensed out their shows - if any of them are still on contract to Crave, it's possible they won't be available on APV until the contract expires. This is a problem Netflix had in some foreign countries where they launched after already sublicensing shows.

Neither Amazon or Netflix "licenced out their shows". The shows are made by the existing major studios, by and large. Netflix and Amazon didn't buy the shows in the territories they don't operate in.

DJ_Lae

So it’s not just out fellow Canadian broadcasters who will try to outbid us for first-run, original programming but it’s Netflix and Amazon, two entities that are not subject to the same regulatory requirements as us and that have astronomically more buying power than we do.

Oh boo hoo. I paid for CraveTV for a little while (and now have it 'free' with HBO/Movie Central) and while the selection of TV shows had some good stuff in there, the movie selection was awful and almost nothing has been added in the past year or so.

Canadian broadcasting and cellular companies have had little incentive to do anything but continue to gouge consumers. I also don't know how much I buy that Amazon and Netflix have way more flexibility than Canadian companies.

I mean, Shomi went down because its selection wasn't fantastic, not much was ever added, and the app/player was horribly buggy.

BrhysH

Then we can buy back the Jays and rename the Skydome...the Skydome!

I dunno, Rogers is giving the Jays a healthy budget and actually making improvements to the dome. I understand the wireless and cable hate but they've been doing alright with the sports teams and buildings.

Neither Amazon or Netflix "licenced out their shows". The shows are made by the existing major studios, by and large. Netflix and Amazon didn't buy the shows in the territories they don't operate in.

I'm talking specifically about the shows that Netflix or Amazon produced. Not random movie or licensed ABC shows.

Transparent: produced by Amazon Studios, for example, but licensed out here

Here's Netflix's answer on the topic:

Netflix said:
With most Netflix originals, we own all the rights to the title and can stream anywhere in the world. Originals we can stream anywhere include: Narcos, BoJack Horseman, Master of None, Beasts of No Nation, and more.
Some Netflix originals are not available in all regions.
When some Netflix originals were created, Netflix was only available in a small number of countries, so we did not secure the licensing rights for all global regions at the time.
Despite the TV show or movie being a Netflix original, other companies may have the rights to stream it due to content deals made prior to launching in that particular region.
Depending on the region, Netflix may not get the licensing rights for an original series for many years.
Some Netflix Originals that we do not yet have global licensing for include: Orange is the New Black, Arrested Development, and Lilyhammer.

BigDug13

As long as they stubbornly refuse to support Apple TV, I'm not interested.

At least Shomi went that far.

I don't pay for Amazon prime for the streaming service...or Amazon music with offline album downloading. It's just a nice byproduct of already paying for the free shipping.

The draw to the service was the shipping. The other shit is just gravy.

Mindwipe

I'm talking specifically about the shows that Netflix or Amazon produced. Not random movie or licensed ABC shows.

Transparent: produced by Amazon Studios, for example, but licensed out here

Here's Netflix's answer on the topic:

So did I. Transparent is made by Sony Pictures. Amazon commissioned it, but they don't make it.

So did I. Transparent is made by Sony Pictures. Amazon commissioned it, but they don't make it.

I'm sorry, you're right - searching around on google shows that SP owns the international rights for Transparent, which means basically no chance of being on APVC unless they sublicense or the deal runs out. (Which could be soon, we have no idea how cheap the canadian telecos were buying these deals)

But my question is that it seems far-fetched (or at least I can't find proof either way) that, say, Netflix has rights in perpetuity for, say, "The Crown". And probably domestic rights along the same lines for OITNB. Sure, a studio is involved in making the show, but if NF is paying up the production costs and then some, I have to imagine they are buying rights outright, right?

jstripes

Banned
I don't pay for Amazon prime for the streaming service...or Amazon music with offline album downloading. It's just a nice byproduct of already paying for the free shipping.

The draw to the service was the shipping. The other shit is just gravy.

I rarely buy stuff online, I've had maybe one thing shipped to me in the last 12 months, so free shipping is of little worth to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom