• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's The Dark Tower TV Series Schedules Production Dates

https://www.cbr.com/dark-tower-tv-series-production-start-dates/

Excitement for The Dark Tower franchise might have cooled when the movie adaptation of the Stephen King epic failed to excite the box office, but the film's poor reception apparently didn't affect plans for a series adaptation. Amazon Studios will begin production on the series in a few short months.

The original plan was to have a trilogy of big screen Dark Tower movies, with a TV season taking place between each film, filling in the gaps with stories from protagonist Roland Deschain's past. This was a huge project spearheaded first by Ron Howard, then by Akiva Goldsman.

However, when the movie arrived, it didn't tell any story from the Stephen King novels. Instead, the film was an alternate take on the events of the books. Talk of the trilogy and the TV shows died with the movie, which ended its theatrical run at $50.7 million domestic on a budget of $60 million.

Despite that, two years later the TV series is underway again. Amazon Studios will start production on The Dark Tower in mid-April, according to That Hashtag Show. The series will film in Croatia, lasting until late Jun
Amazon will instead tell one of the stories from Roland's past -- as was originally planned. In this series, Roland is a young boy who has his original ka-tet of Cuthbert, Alain, Ileen and Jamie, as well as his girlfriend Susan. These names are very familiar to fans of the King novels, with casting seeking out actors between the ages of 16 and 18 years old.

The series' villain is Marten Broadcloak, who has an affair with Roland's mother. That sends Roland after Marten with his guns in hand, bringing his father, Steven, chasing after him.
There is no release date yet for Amazon's The Dark Tower. Glen Mazzara (The Walking Dead), Akiva Goldsman and Stephen King will serve as producers.

e. According to the site, the two-year delay is the result of Amazon wanting to distance its upcoming series from the film's poor reception.

Grinchy

Banned
So did anyone enjoy this series of books who didn't enjoy the first one (The Gunslinger)?

I wasn't overly thrilled with the book so I didn't keep going. I enjoyed parts of it, especially the ending conversation, but overall it didn't really grab me.

Last edited:
So did anyone enjoy this series of books who didn't enjoy the first one (The Gunslinger)?

I wasn't overly thrilled with the book so I didn't keep going. I enjoyed parts of it, especially the ending conversation, but overall it didn't really grab me.

It has been FOREVER since I read them.

As a teenager I loved them all, but I do remember feeling like they really take off once the "crew is assembled," and goes from there.

God Enel

I loved the books the movie was utter shit so I don’t know what to think of it yet.

Hope they won’t make any bullshit out of it and stay true to the books. Even if this was a book of the series I didn’t like that much. :/

As a Croat I’m happy they’re filming so many movies in the country. Curious where they’re going to film as I can’t remember that the book is playing at the coast, so it can’t be the Adriatic Sea. But maybe I’m wrong here as I read them nearly 8-1 years ago if my mind isn’t cheating on me. Maybe in plitvice?

DKehoe

The other books feel very different than The Gunslinger. The tone for the rest of the series really gets established in the next book. I’d recommend giving it a shot if you have time.

Grinchy

Banned
The other books feel very different than The Gunslinger. The tone for the rest of the series really gets established in the next book. I’d recommend giving it a shot if you have time.
Nice, I have it on my Kindle, I just never felt like starting it because of not really loving that first one. The premise of the 2nd book sounds really cool.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute

Yup, I felt the exact same way. The first one is rough. I thought the story was alright but I remember being annoyed with the way it was written.

I kept going after the first one and they got much better. I kept up with the series and finished it when the last book was released.

Grinchy

Banned
Yup, I felt the exact same way. The first one is rough. I thought the story was alright but I remember being annoyed with the way it was written.

I kept going after the first one and they got much better. I kept up with the series and finished it when the last book was released.
What annoyed me in the first one was how unexplained so many things were. I understand it's a style he was going for, but it made it feel like such a dry, incomprehensible read to me.

Something in the beginning of the second book was a very small example of that. The gunslinger is approached/attacked by a sea creature. No clue of its size is given through the reveal of its existence or during much of his fight with it. Then, pages later, he describes it as being 4 feet long. So how is the reader supposed to properly imagine the scene that's taking place before being told that detail? Why tell it so late?

The first book was so full of things like this. I wish I remembered specific examples from the first book, but that's the kind of thing I found so annoying. Anyway, I'm like 60 pages into the 2nd book right now and it has been awesome so far. I'm loving it already.

Dacon

Banned
If you like Wizard and Glass you should check out its comic book adaptation Gunslinger Born. It has amazing art by the fantastic Jae Lee and Richard Isanove.

Top Bottom