• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ambient, Techno, Trance - "How" are these genres composed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD-Ness

I've wondered recently how composers in the ambient, techno, trance, electronica scenes create their music. How do they? Computers? With programs like Fruity Loops (or maybe better ones than that...)? Synthesizers?

I've been listening to M83 and Brian Eno recenently so that's why I'm asking.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'd say that most of it is all synth with samples and drum machines.. either through original hardware or software synth emulators. A lot of original shit is expensive and only the big guys use it so you'll get quite a lot of people jump onto the latter option.

I have heard that you can get synth plugins on various programs and use their keyboard to play.

tetsuoxb

Fruityloops, Cubase, studios with tons of rack processors, analog synths, etc.

Ableton Live is probably going to become pretty important to these genres in the near future.

A friend of mine is going to make some tracks with Mike Koglin in April, so I will try and have him get some pictures from one of the larger trance production studios in England.

Ill Saint

tetsuoxb said:
Ableton Live is probably going to become pretty important to these genres in the near future.
Oh yes indeed... with geniuses like Gerhard Behles and Robert Henke at the helm, it's destined to be.

Max/MSP is also widely used for a lot of glitch and 'IDM' production. Immensely powerful (and immensely complex) program.

tetsuoxb

No. I dj... which is why I want finalscratch.

Im thinking about the production stuff because quite a few of my friends produce, and it seems like a fun way to screw around when they come over to my house. Mainly it is just playing on my turntables.

NLB2

Banned
aoi tsuki said:
WTF is this? It's borderline awesome! Reminds me of the stuff i'd hear Sunday afternoons on the local college station that played music from movie, game, cartoon, anime, and comic soundtracks.
Its the second movement to Luciano Berio's Laborintus II. I'll upload the first half.

White Man

I've been listening to M83 and Brian Eno recenently so that's why I'm asking.

Brian Eno used the "Oblique Strategies," a set of cards that he'd use to find direction in composing his music. I recently purchased a set of them.

Each card has an axiom or vague phrase printed on it. Eno reportedly used them in a tarot-like fashion in creating his best output in the 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom