• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Boss Teases chip to power PS5's "Secret Special Sauce"?

Would you like Sony to give you some Special Sauce?

• Total voters

LostDonkey

You'll have to show me these dual core PCs with budget GPUs that can run games well that look as good as Uncharted 4, Spider-man, God of War , Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us II, etc...on PS4

Every one of those games is capped at 30 frames a second. If those games were available on PC then yeah, youll be surprised at what budget gpus are capable of when locked to 30fps. But they arent so its a pointless comparison and I think the point went way over your head.

Digital Foundry did extensive tests with budget PCs on games available on both systems and the super charged ps4 wasnt very super in comparison.

This happens before every gen. Super charged 60fps on every game magical cgi equivalent graphics emotion processor read your mind fancy dancy bullshit.

All it does is generate hype thats never delivered on.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Every one of those games is capped at 30 frames a second. If those games were available on PC then yeah, youll be surprised at what budget gpus are capable of when locked to 30fps. But they arent so its a pointless comparison and I think the point went way over your head.

Digital Foundry did extensive tests with budget PCs on games available on both systems and the super charged ps4 wasnt very super in comparison.

No I think it's way over your head because comparing multiplatform games is pointless since they aren't optimized and coded specifically for the PS4 like first party titles; that's who the secret sauce is for. There's no way that a dual core with a shit GPU (GTX 750 Ti) would ever be able to run a game of the visual quality level of Uncharted 4 or Spider-man in 1080p at 30fps, unless perhaps the game was specifically coded for that hardware combo but that's never the case on PC.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Why? you have two different kind hands, like charger from L4D2?

I just never feel comfortable with asymmetrical sticks and cant understand why they would be better, because one thumb doesnt rest properly or one hand must be in different grip than another

natural hand position has left thumb on left stick right thumb on face buttons.

Codes 208

Why? you have two different kind hands, like charger from L4D2?

I just never feel comfortable with asymmetrical sticks and cant understand why they would be better, because one thumb doesnt rest properly or one hand must be in different grip than another
Speaking of L4D it just feels better with shooters and first and third person action games. My left thumb centered on the analog while my right thumb is just lightly off-position for quick and easy access to the A button for games like halo and cod.

Part of my problem with the ps4 controller isn’t even that it’s symmetrical, is that the analogs are both on the bottom center of the controller, I can’t use the damn thing for shooters without cramping after a couple of hours, the way the Xbox controller molds in your hand the asymmetrical design makes sense. It makes so much sense that the Xbox controller dominates the pc joypad preferences and even Nintendo copied it for their switch pro controller (after already copying the shape for the Wii u’s)

Granted, the DS4 is leaps and bounds better than the ds3, but I’ll gladly take an Xbox one controller over it any day, all day.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Every time I hear the phrase "secret sauce" I throw up in my mouth. Flashbacks to the hundreds of times that phrase was uttered by Xbox fanboys desperately looking for proof that somehow Xbox One was more powerful than PlayStation 4 at launch. I might be remembering wrong, but I believe it was someone at Polygon who coined that phrase. Either Ben Kuchera or Arthur Gies. Lord knows those guys got hard for anything Xbox. Now I'm hearing this shit again for PlayStation? 6 years later? This world needs to burn.

SonGoku

Why do you think they're claiming PS5 will only be 8TF.
Can somebody pleaseeeee give me a link to this? I've seen it repeated countles times already, im really curious about the video/article were it originated.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Can somebody pleaseeeee give me a link to this? I've seen it repeated countles times already, im really curious about the video/article were it originated.

It feels like people just made it up because I've never seen a source on it either.

Codes 208

It's gonna be hella powerful I don't think MS can touch this, Sony and AMD deep partnership and co-developed ray tracing hardware for the soon to be worlds most powerful APU ever devised.
that’s quite the assumption based on vague details. I’m betting on the 12.9Tf ps5, but from the rumors and leaks it sounds like MS was aiming at 14Tf for the Anaconda.
It feels like people just made it up because I've never seen a source on it either.
Iirc it’s not so much a source but some quote from Penello or whoever that some people took as gospel.

This happens before every gen. Super charged 60fps on every game magical cgi equivalent graphics emotion processor read your mind fancy dancy bullshit.

Spot on.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I believe they said 10 to 12, Penello (ex MS) was the one that said 8 FUD. I think they are just getting confused.

Obviously the PS5 will have some "special sauce", just as the next Xbox. Those are just some modifications made to improve overall system performance. Like the XBone had specific MOVE engines in its CPU and the PS4 had 8 ACEs in its GPU instead of the usual 2 in the PC conterparts.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Any time you mention 'secret sauce' things are bound to go bad.

Lol. But there's certainly a difference between fans dreaming themselves into thinking there's a second GPU on the underside of the Wii U board or something, and the CEO of AMD acknowledging that it's a semicustom effort.

Look to the PS4 borrowing 8 ACEs and other compute features from a future generation of Radeons than what it launched concurrent to. Plus I'm thinking the ray tracing additions are of Sonys making and not inherent to Navi.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lol. But there's certainly a difference between fans dreaming themselves into thinking there's a second GPU on the underside of the Wii U board or something, and the CEO of AMD acknowledging that it's a semicustom effort.

Look to the PS4 borrowing 8 ACEs and other compute features from a future generation of Radeons than what it launched concurrent to. Plus I'm thinking the ray tracing additions are of Sonys making and not inherent to Navi.

F Freeman454 doesn't believe these things exist.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Pannello said it on era, im asking about the Leadbetter quote: "you'll be lucky to get 8tf"

Idk why he (Penello) continues to put his foot in his mouth. He will be laughed off of there like he was here for spreading BS.

They are some of the same people that laughed him off last time.

Last edited:

vpance

Every time I hear the phrase "secret sauce" I throw up in my mouth. Flashbacks to the hundreds of times that phrase was uttered by Xbox fanboys desperately looking for proof that somehow Xbox One was more powerful than PlayStation 4 at launch. I might be remembering wrong, but I believe it was someone at Polygon who coined that phrase. Either Ben Kuchera or Arthur Gies. Lord knows those guys got hard for anything Xbox. Now I'm hearing this shit again for PlayStation? 6 years later? This world needs to burn.

Yeah it was Gies and a couple of hardcore Xboxers on here that kept mentioning it. Basically they had access to the leaked SDK docs and had no idea what it really meant.

FWIW, I think we can agree that Lisa > Gies.

LordOfChaos

How was that from the future if a 7970 was out over a year before the PS4 even released? PS4 release and the R9 290X was there. PS4 GPU sure wasnt anything from the future.

I shouldn't have said launched concurrent to, guess I forgot the 290X launched the same month. But the 290X was also overall a much more powerful GPU than the PS4, point being Sony was able to look at AMDs pipeline and bring that into a chip it wouldn't ordinarily be in, even though they would have nailed down the overarching hardware specs years before. 8 ACEs in a $549, 5.6Tflop card, where the PS4 borrowed the idea for a 1.8Tflop system, and overall the GPU was more like the previous generation GCN rather than Fiji but was able to bring such features in.

Here comes the fake marketing speak.

'We basically get free 4x AA derp thanks to our 30mb fast access thingy derp'

Xbox 360 games use 2x AA instead.

Surprised jigglypuff ass gaping open

demigod

Thats what people were saying when they watched the DF speculation video. I didn’t watch it so I’m just going off what they said.

SonGoku

How was that from the future if a 7970 was out over a year before the PS4 even released? PS4 release and the R9 290X was there. PS4 GPU sure wasnt anything from the future.
7970 still had the 2 ACEs limit and the R9 290x was the latest high end card from AMD.

kungfuian

Just based on their current business models if I were to guess I'd imagine-

-Sony going with hardware features that somehow increase VR functionality out of the box (maybe frame rate something or other) and from the rumors also maybe some custom hardware based RT features.

-and for Microsoft I'd guess they bake in some type of specialized streaming hardware features that allow them to leverage their Azure cloud infrastructure and services.

Edit- also suspect one or the other might have some type of AI hardware thrown in for good measure.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

Just based on their current business models if I were to guess I'd imagine-

-Sony going with hardware features that somehow increase VR functionality out of the box (maybe frame rate something or other) and from the rumors also maybe some custom hardware based RT features.

-and for Microsoft I'd guess they bake in some type of specialized streaming hardware features that allow them to leverage their Azure cloud infrastructure and services.
Wow, a level headed post in this thread. Go figure. This does make sense for both companies.

kungfuian

Wow, a level headed post in this thread. Go figure. This does make sense for both companies.

Yeah I really see Microsoft going all in with some type of 'Enhanced through cloud' messaging and device/service to match. Interesting to imagine what a standard hardware/cloud hybrid machine/service could offer.

And for Sony I think it's going with a more traditional local hardware solution with some type of amazing but cheap raytracing bits and pieces and kick ass VR 2.0.

Look forward to the curtains being pulled back on these bad boys.

Last edited:

lynux3

Yeah I really see Microsoft going all in with some type of 'Enhanced through cloud' messaging and device/service to match. Interesting to imagine what a standard hardware/cloud hybrid machine/service could offer.
Hopefully not. If Crackdown 3 is any indication of a proof of concept it's going to be disappointing.

I had a more powerful pc than the Xbox 360 but the 360 could run the same games better even on the ps2 days I had a good 3ghz pentium 4 but for some reason the ps2 with 200mhz was better at the same games

7970 still had the 2 ACEs limit and the R9 290x was the latest high end card from AMD.

Clearly, a 7970 is the overall more capable GPU.

I had a more powerful pc than the Xbox 360 but the 360 could run the same games better even on the ps2 days I had a good 3ghz pentium 4 but for some reason the ps2 with 200mhz was better at the same games

Depended on the games you where comparing, and what kind of gpu you had in both cases. Most multiplatform games ran better on pc, but things like mgs2 where straight ports designed for the EE/GS and ran bad on anything but ps2.

THE:MILKMAN

Sony has already publically said it's not coming in 2019 though.

Do you have a link for this? Curious as I have given up on the 2019 dream but from what I've read Sony haven't directly stated this themselves?

The Wired reporter Peter Rubin stated as much without a direct quote from Mark Cerny or Sony and the WSJ analyst also stated his Sony rep told him no PS5 for 12 months at the FY results. Again nothing official to back that up.

I thought initially as others that the main reason for Sony to start talking about PS5 so early was to get ahead of leaks but then they gave zero specs so that makes no sense. If it really will be a late 2020 release then all that starting to talk about it now achieves is that less people will now buy a PS4 or PS4 Pro. I'm sure there must be other reasons we can't see yet for why Sony did this so early.

Top Bottom