• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Crimson ReLive Driver Released

LordOfChaos

Chill sounds interesting for mobile at least, or I guess noisy desktops.

They say though "based on your in-game movement". Is it really based on your in-game movement, or is it based on on-screen movement? Even if you're not providing input you may want to watch a scene animated at the highest framerate the GPU can muster.

LordOfChaos

It's been 2 years since the last GCN 1.0 card released. Some people bought the LATEST AMD card in 2014 and now have unsupported hardware. 2 years!

Just three weeks ago the top end Macbook Pro 15 would have shipped with a GCN 1.0 card, which is pretty nutty. Heck, the Mac Pro still does.

Adry9

And from that wiki
" it is based on a rebranded Radeon HD 7950 with an increased clock speed, from 725 MHz to 900 MHz"

The tech is the same

the 280x is a rebranded HD7970GHz unfortunately which is 2012 tech ( i believe)

I know it's old tech, but that's not the point. I you are rebranding a product and releasing it as new you should also support it as new. Can't believe you guys are falling for this. It's not respectful to the consumer.

I'm not an expert but please tell me how "Upgrade Advisor", for example, can't possibly be supported on GCN 1.0 hardware.

It's been 2 years since the last GCN 1.0 card released. Some people bought the LATEST AMD card in 2014 and now have unsupported hardware. 2 years!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_Rx_200_series#Radeon_R9_280

It's based on old tech and priced accordingly. If somebody did even a minimal research before they buy they will see that it's said everywhere it's rebranded old tech. You get what you paid for, really.

My afterburner profiles don't work now.....

I know it's old tech, but that's not the point. I you are rebranding a product and releasing it as new you should also support it as new. Can't believe you guys are falling for this. It's not respectful to the consumer.

It is a different architecture. There is nothing about people falling for this. Somethings they just can't do.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That's because it's a GCN 1.0 card. There's nothing AMD can do about it, your card does not support later GCN revision features.
Nothing about chill wouldn't run on 1.0 since it's all software anyway. Guess 1.0 is just obsolete lol. Feels kind of misleading that the 280X is older tech than the 260

LordOfChaos

Radeon and Chill: Now a thing

Nothing about chill wouldn't run on 1.0 since it's all software anyway. Guess 1.0 is just obsolete lol. Feels kind of misleading that the 280X is older tech than the 260

You don't really know that, GPUs are complicated things. Maybe newer versions support faster power state switching, similar to how newer Intel processors always get faster at that, for example.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Radeon and Chill: Now a thing

You don't really know that, GPUs are complicated things. Maybe newer versions support faster power state switching, similar to how newer Intel processors always get faster at that, for example.

You can download an older non AMD branded version of it. I really do know that :p

Edit: That post above.. huh. AMD slowly turning into nvidia huh?

Re-Edit: Or not, it was one specific game, comments clarified the issue better than the article lol.

Irobot82

The compatibility part of the OP says something completely different.

And upgrade to what, a 480? Where I live that means $400 (around what I paid for the 280 nearly three years ago) for something slightly better than what I currently own. Fuck that. Last time I changed cards I went from a 4670 to a 280X. Now that's an upgrade. Not something that is barely 40% better.

It's about twice as fast as your current gpu

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Is ReLive not working in certain games? I tried Evil Within and it recorded fine but when I fired up Brigador it was disabled due to protected content.

Pjsprojects

Will try this out tonight on my 290x,need to update the card but I have big doubts the RX480 is any quicker.

Hope Afterburner works...

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Can I remove the small Yellow Icon in the corner of the screen when ReLive is on?

Yeah press alt+z go to settings and you can choose placement of it or disable it altogether.

Oh nice, recording is finally built into the driver, I have missed so many moments because I always forget to run the PlaysTV client. Chill sounds awesome, too.

AMD doing great.

Edit: both should work on my old 7850, will have to try later today, tho.

Datschge

It looks like the Chill feature is probably this: http://www.hialgo.com/TechnologyCHILL.html

Software will decide when you don't need as much performance (the example they give is when you're stationary in the game world) and introduce a temporary frame limit to reduce GPU load. Supported on a per-game basis.

Nice catch. So these are the first fruits (with more to come likely) of AMD's acquisition of HiAlgo from half a year ago:
http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-acquires-software-2016jun29.aspx

dragn

i just went back to 16.4.11 because too many issues.
WoW just doesnt work, the screen freezes and nothing is happening. wattman causes blackscreens or driver crashes. even in game menus i get graphic glitches when undervolting. freesync doesnt work with watch dogs 2 anymore, no thanks :/

Pjsprojects

Just tried this out on three games. ReLive works great much better than PlaysTV.

To note I did disable Win10 DVR function before trying ReLive just to make sure the PC wasn't trying to record two streams.

For me the new package installed without problems and works fine with Rivatuner custom fan profiles.

i just went back to 16.4.11 because too many issues.
WoW just doesnt work, the screen freezes and nothing is happening. wattman causes blackscreens or driver crashes. even in game menus i get graphic glitches when undervolting. freesync doesnt work with watch dogs 2 anymore, no thanks :/

Did you try DDU before installing the new drivers? I always clean all before installing a new driver. 0 issues at the moment... Hell, I noticed performance gains with this new driver in my 390

Did you try DDU before installing the new drivers? I always clean all before installing a new driver. 0 issues at the moment... Hell, I noticed performance gains with this new driver in my 390

DDU really is great. More people should use it when installing new drivers. It really doesn't take that long.

Well, AMD can, you know, support GCN 1.0 cards.

They cant support them with Wattman GCN 1.0 does not have the granular pstates of the later revisions. Its not in their hands. In their defense its not like they dont release drivers for the cards. Its just that certain features are not possible on some cards.

Adry9

They cant support them with Wattman GCN 1.0 does not have the granular pstates of the later revisions. Its bot in their hands. In their defense its not like they dont release drivers for the cards. Its just that certain features are not possible on some cards.

I know, wasn't talking about every single feature, I know some require a certain HW but others are software based. When I first asked no one told me ReLive and Chill are actually supported on GCN 1.0, so I though those were missing too and got annoyed.

I know, wasn't talking about every single feature, I know some require a certain HW but others are software based. When I first asked no one told me ReLive and Chill are actually supported on GCN 1.0, so I though those were missing too and got annoyed.

No they work on 7900 series of course.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm not seeing it. Under Wattman it just drawing some graphs.
Do I have to enable something somewhere else?

Scroll down.

ny0WtZs.png

Top Bottom