• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Fusion: Ontario-Zacate, Netbooks reloaded (RIP ATOM)

Low-Power-AMD-Fusion-APU-Euro-Coins-Comparison2.jpg

Ontario 1-2 cores: $249-$300

Flagship model
Ontario C-50 1Ghz dual core
DX11 GPU 80SP 280Mhz HD6250
Die Size 74mm^2 (15% smaller than Atom)
9w TDP

Zacate 1-2 cores: $300-499

Flagship model
Zacate E-350 1.6Ghz
DX11 GPU 80SP 500Mhz HD6310
Die Size 74mm^2 (15% smaller than Atom)
18w TDP

amd-zacate-power-3.png

ontario_vs_atom-590x413.jpg

Some models:
Toshiba N550D (Ontario Dual Core)
toshiba_nb550d.jpg

Lenovo X120e
X120e_black_11.JPG

11.6" 1366x768
Zacate E-350 1.6Ghz + HD6310
full sized keyboard
<1.4Kg
<$400

HP Pavillion DM1
hp_paviliondm1_1.jpg

hp_paviliondm1_2.jpg

Following the trail of AMD's official launch of Fusion platform, HP has rolled out its Pavilion dm1 notebook, a 11.6-incher featuring Brazos 1.6GHz E-350 dual-core APU.

Packed in a quite stylish 1-inch thick chassis the Pavilion dm1 features a 11.6-inch 1366x768 BrightView display, up to 750GB of HDD space, 3GB of memory (and support for up to 8GB), three USB ports, HDMI and Dsub outputs, webcam, and Ethernet port. The E-350 APU features Radeon HD 6310M graphics and the notebook comes with a 6-cell 55WHr battery that, according to HP, is enough for 9 hours and 30 minutes of work time.

The base model should retail at around US $449 and should be available pretty soon

Lenovo IdeaPad S205
S205.jpg

7484d0ff-9253-4adf-a062-4da0d5171ab4.jpg

127a47ea-4344-45e5-8fe7-9c6f7fe49765.jpg

From CES 2011:
amd-laptops.jpg

amd-asus_msi.jpg

lenovotab.jpg

http://www.fudzilla.com/notebooks/item/21427-amd-shows-four-fusion-notebooks

Fusion Ontario C-50 Dual Core 1Ghz(low end) destroying Atom N550 Dual Core 1.5Ghz. Above it comes Zacatel E-350 1.6Ghz with and IGP 75% faster at frequency (80SP 500Mhz) vs Ontario(80SP 280Mhz).

Guys from Dutch Hardware.info site managed to get their hands on Toshiba's N550D netbook with AMD's Fusion C-50 dual-core APU clocked at 1.0GHz. When compared to Intel's Atom N450 and N550, it is quite clear that those are no match for AMD's Radeon HD 6250 graphics found in the C-50.

Of course, bear in mind that we are talking about the C-50 APU, a dual-core clocked at 1.0GHz that only consumes 9W. The Radeon HD 6250 GPU found in this APU is clocked at 280MHz. Just for reference, the top AMD offer, E-350 is a dual-core APU clocked at 1.6GHz with Radeon HD 6310 graphics clocked at 500MHz. On the other hand, Intel's GMA 3150 really has nothing on these new AMD DirectX 11 parts.

The most convincing win is in 3DMark06 where Intel's GMA 3150 barely goes over 153 marks, whereas the C-50 easily scores 1769. The scores are quite interesting as in some tests, Atom manages to outperform the C-50 (like in Cinebench 10) but once again we are talking about AMD's C-50 and not the E-350 which is clocked at 1.6GHz.

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/1961/4/amd-fusion-apu-review-benchmarks

11x more power of IGP @3DMark2006, :lol

Rest in peace Atom, we won't miss your worthless performance.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Fu...1-parallel-processing,11896.html#xtor=RSS-181
http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/21432-amd-fusion-c-50-apu-tested
http://www.fudzilla.com/notebooks/item/21423-acer-announces-brazos-laptops
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2011/01/04/hp-and-lenovo-announce-amd-fusion-notebooks

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Finally. I got sick as shit constantly seeing Atom when looking for netbook. Hopefully it has the kind of performance needed to run decent games and heavy apps and I'll buy it!

Owzers

whether i get a netbook or sandy bridge laptop....i'm glad i didnt' get one in December and chose to wait a couple months.

antonz

Teetris said:
Finally. I got sick as shit constantly seeing Atom when looking for netbook. Hopefully it has the kind of performance needed to run decent games and heavy apps and I'll buy it!

why would you buy a netbook for those purposes when you can get superior laptops for not much more in price?

Teetris said:
you're better off just getting a laptop then

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
DMPrince said:
you're better off just getting a laptop then
I got a very good i5/HD5650 laptop. It's just a bit too heavy to take with me all the time

oh and it gets warm/loud as hell. All the other nettops I've seen so far don't have that problem

Owzers

antonz said:
why would you buy a netbook for those purposes when you can get superior laptops for not much more in price?

Battery life was a big factor in my netbook/laptop debate, but if the new sandy bridge laptops get 6 hours of battery life....the reason to get a netbook diminishes a bit.

^ yes, weight and portability too. and heat, and noise :lol

sikkinixx

Very cool. This might win over a few people at work who are totally anti-netbook due to the doggy performance.

On a side note, why the fuck do netbooks STILL use VGA ports? God, who uses those still? Are we doomed to shitty quality output forever? HDMI or DP all the way *hugs Macbook Air*

beat

antonz said:
Weight. I got my quasi-netbook (it's a big netbook in form factor, but with a Core solo chip) for travel, as I have a desktop at home.

That said, that was in late 2009, so pre-iPad, and I'd strongly consider not getting a new netbook in favour of an iPad when it comes time to replace this one.

sikkinixx
They have HDMI (even since the Turion II Neo).

Slayer-33 said:
Hmm interesting, what kind of games can you run on these?
Given comparisons of this platform and my HD3300.

1024x768 High
Half Life 2
Far Cry
Call of Duty
League of Legends

Mid-High
Oblivion
Call of Duty 2

1024x768/800x600 Mid
Batman Arkham Assylum
Blur
Anno 1404

Low 800x600-1366x768
Left4Dead
Crysis
CoD MW
Far Cry2
Dirt 2

http://techreport.com/articles.x/19981/5

cod4-low.png

Obviously, 800x600 offers the most fps when talking about IGP. Some games are really mhz dependant(Starcraft II) and thats not the forte of Zacate.

Esperado

Slayer-33 said:
Hmm interesting, what kind of games can you run on these?
I saw a video where it ran Arkham Asylum at about 20fps at high settings 1024 x 768. So I would guess that it could run most games from 2006 on at low to medium settings, and games before that at medium to high settings at playable framerates. I want it for my steam backlog.

I really love the idea of the APU. I'm gonna hold off upgrading my desktop until we start seeing the capabilities of these new chips. It's going to be awesome when upgrading your computer for newer games is going to consist of dropping in a single chip.

With mid setting you get around 25-34fps in batman. It loads more the gpu so it doesn't take a hit by the 1.6Ghz dual core.

At same settings this chip give more performance(like 10%) than my Athlon II X4 620 2.6Ghz and the HD3300 (40SP 700Mhz) IGP.

Also the miniTX flavours:
fusionga1.jpg

AMD E-350 3D Graphics Performance Upgrade- up to 3DMark 2006 2400 marks!!
The 3DMark 2006 is a benchmark software which is from Futuremark Corporation and generally used on analyzing a PC performance of DirectX® 3D visualization, especially a valuable guideline for gaming users as reference.
3DMark06 2400 marks on E350N-USB3 system configuration:
AMD Dual-Core E-350 APU OC 1.68GHz, DDR3 OC 1333MHz, Win7-32bit, 3DMark06 1280x1024

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3681#ov

Sapphire Pure Fusion Mini E350
sapphire_pureE350_1.jpg

Sapphire_Pure_Fusion_Mini_E350_02.jpg

Asus E35MI-I Deluxe
asus-e35mi-i-1s.jpg

MSI E350-E45
e350ia-e45-2s.jpg

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/01/04/amd-zacate-mini-itx-motherboards-preview/1

Zotac Barebone
Zotac AD03 / AD03 Plus+
18105_zboxplus.jpg

http://www.dailytech.com/Zotac+Outs+New+Bluray+Barebones+PCs/article20551.htm

This also instantly kills ION.

kIdMuScLe

Ryoma-Echizen said:
With mid setting you get around 25-34fps in batman. It loads more the gpu so it doesn't take a hit by the 1.6Ghz dual core.

At same settings this chip give more performance(like 10%) than my Athlon II X4 620 2.6Ghz and the HD3300 (40SP 700Mhz) IGP.

Also the miniTX flavours:
fusionga1.jpg

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3681#ov

Sapphire Pure Fusion Mini E350
sapphire_pureE350_1.jpg

Sapphire_Pure_Fusion_Mini_E350_02.jpg

Asus E35MI-I Deluxe
asus-e35mi-i-1s.jpg

MSI E350-E45
e350ia-e45-2s.jpg

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/01/04/amd-zacate-mini-itx-motherboards-preview/1

Zotac Barebone
Zotac AD03 / AD03 Plus+
18105_zboxplus.jpg

http://www.dailytech.com/Zotac+Outs+New+Bluray+Barebones+PCs/article20551.htm

This also instantly kills ION.

so is this shit perfect for building a server/htpc?

kIdMuScLe
-You get the low power (even low power consumption in idle than any Atom, since the chip is better is doesn't get stressed at basic loads, for example Windows7 Aero)

-UVD 3.0 offload HD playback / HTML5 acceleration

-It can be overclocked (at least with the Gigabyte mobo)

sikkinixx said:
On a side note, why the fuck do netbooks STILL use VGA ports? God, who uses those still? Are we doomed to shitty quality output forever? HDMI or DP all the way *hugs Macbook Air*
Umm, everybody still uses VGA? I'm glad laptops offer dual VGA/HMDI output, since the setup for all the projectors at school solely use VGA.

There was also the Via Nano netbooks, but OEM didn't give too much love for that platform. Except the igp, on the cpu side they destroyed Atom at the same level of current Ontario.

Now they released the the Via Nano X2.

clashfan

Sounds really exciting. I just wish they had models that are 13" - 14". I'm old and my eyes just aren't good enough to use those small screens.

Ryoma-Echizen said:
There was also the Via Nano netbooks, but OEM didn't give too much love for that platform. Except the igp, on the cpu side they destroyed Atom at the same level of current Ontario.

Now they released the the Via Nano X2.
That's because VIA doesn't give a fuck either. They announced the Nano ITX platform in 2004 and it took years until it was available. I remember that pretty welly because I ordered a board back then and after 1.5 years or so, I canceled the "pre-order".

I would order that HP right now if the build date wasn't the 19th. Might as well wait for some more competition. I really want an Asus anyway.

I love my netbook. That's what I'm using right now.

reKon

Banned
so glad I waited! This is what I want! Fast netbook with great battery life. The ability to play HD video and still play low req games is an extra.

Anyone have information on when there will be an asus one released?

ep85

Ryoma-Echizen said:
Battery life browsing web + wifi
6:37

Asus Eee 1215n (Atom + ION)
5:30~

Dell M101z (Athlon II Neo + HD4225)
4:54
They have delivered on battery life. Whoooo..

I currently own an atom netbook and wanted to upgrade to a Fusion Thin and light but I am also thinking about getting a tablet. Eh, choices, choices. What is a boy to do?

quaere

brotkasten said:
That's because VIA doesn't give a fuck either. They announced the Nano ITX platform in 2004 and it took years until it was available. I remember that pretty welly because I ordered a board back then and after 1.5 years or so, I canceled the "pre-order".
VIA was at CES showing off a Nano X2 ITX board...with Chrome 9 graphics. This is an integrated GPU that shipped with Pentium 4 chipsets. No wonder Intel doesn't mind these guys have a x86 license.

NomarTyme

I really want to replace my netbook. This shall be a good replacement.

ep85 said:

I currently own an atom netbook and wanted to upgrade to a Fusion Thin and light but I am also thinking about getting a tablet. Eh, choices, choices. What is a boy to do?

Tablet hardware is nice, but the software is no where close enough for my liking.

Avtomat

clashfan said:
Can a low end sandy bridge provide this type of battery life?

From my understanding of the positioning of these no. They will however be beaten silly by a low end sandy bridge. But come to think of it putting the sandy bridge in a larger notebook with a much higher capacity battery may yield results approaching these.

darkwing

ep85 said:

a tablet powered by Fusion?

Mr_Brit

Banned
So AMD have stolen a dead market from Intel after Intel have been raking it in for years.

Netbooks have been surplanted by Tablets and CULV laptops which offer non embarrasing power and comparable battery life for not much more. With some of the low power SB chips coming out these low power chips (Atom and Zacate) are both outdated.

Mr_Brit said:
So AMD have stolen a dead market from Intel after Intel have been raking it in for years.

Netbooks have been surplanted by Tablets and CULV laptops which offer non embarrasing power and comparable battery life for not much more. With some of the low power SB chips coming out these low power chips (Atom and Zacate) are both outdated.
Nobody bought CULV notebooks, netbooks are still big business.

Chris R

Zacate dual core plus a sweet micro/mini atx board sounds like it would make a killer htpc. Should be able do 1080p without an extra gpu right?

element

rhfb said:
Zacate dual core plus a sweet micro/mini atx board sounds like it would make a killer htpc. Should be able do 1080p without an extra gpu right?
the gpu is built into the cpu. that is what the fusion chipset is all about.

robjoh

Mr_Brit said:

I am not a guru when it comes to CPUs or GPU, but can Intel with SB match the price point of Zacate? I can see average Joe end up buying Zacate because of the price point of the laptops. I am thinking about laptops that costs around 400-500 USD, should not Zacete can deliver good value at that price range?

Mr_Brit

Banned
robjoh said:
I am not a guru when it comes to CPUs or GPU, but can Intel with SB match the price point of Zacate? I can see average Joe end up buying Zacate because of the price point of the laptops. I am thinking about laptops that costs around 400-500 USD, should not Zacete can deliver good value at that price range?
Most people don't buy netbooks due to their price but their portablility/battery life. The latest low power SB chips can match Zacate/Atom in battery life/portability whilst delivering several times more power for not a great deal more money. That and the fact that tablets are starting to grind away at the netbook market as shown by slowing sales means that ultra low power SB laptops offer a competitive alternative to these netbooks.

The pricing alone makes this worthless for netbooks.

The two core Atom N550 costs $86. The cheapest Ontario costs $249. That rules this out for use in your average consumer netbooks.

That pretty much just leaves it competing for space in the low-end notebook sector, where it is going to be competing with AMD's own mobile offerings and Intel's low end chips.

It looks great but the idea of it competing with Atom is just silly. They're different markets.

Top Bottom