• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Q4 2015 Earnings Call Suggests Multiple New Consoles Launching This Year.

Any reason why AMD doesn't just release versions of their console APUs in the wild as PC processors? I could imagine memory bandwidth being a problem, but Intel packs some 128 MB in their CPUs for that.

Because, to be quite honest, they suck. Outside of a dedicated-use product what good to normal consumers is a $400 APU (even that's conservative) with a mid-level GPU and 8 really terrible CPU cores? Jaguar is really, really weak. It was designed to compete with Intel Atom, which is used in Netbooks, and neither are really powerful enough to accomplish much in the realm of general computing.

Apple. Also smaller devices, think Intel NUC...These use Intel Iris (Pro), which come with "L4" cache.

The CPU's they use for Intel NUC's absolutely demolish the CPU in the PS4\XB1. They are weaker in terms of GPU might, but the CPU's are probably 3-4x as powerful--assuming it's the newer NUC's that come with Skylake CPU's. Iris Pro is also quite expensive, and Intel probably sells them at minimal profit compared to other SKUs. Also, that L4 Cache is just eDRAM like what the XB1 has on-die.

Muzicfreq

Banned
How I picture ps4k supporters
J1nzrMt.jpg

Apple. Also smaller devices, think Intel NUC, BRIX and others. They certainly seem to be fairly popular. These use Intel Iris (Pro), which come with "L4" cache.

I don't think people understand just how slow and awful the Jaguar cores in the PS4 and Bone really are. They are not suitable for these SFF PCs.

Apple only sells high-end computers because that's where the margin is, and they have no use for slow-ass AMD APUs.

Buy AMD stocks now?

No.

There's a chance that Zen and Polaris will save the company, and if you believe they will then you can certainly buy some AMD based on that, but you should not buy AMD because of this. They make virtually nothing from the console contracts, for AMD's successful competitors those contracts amount to rounding errors in their financials.

If you're interested in making money, Nvidia is up about 90% in the last year and there's no reason to assume it won't keep going up because of what they've been up to lately. I'm not talking about Pascal either.

The Year of Dreams 2: Now It's About Hardware

With the software to match nowhere near in sight.

These new hardware launches are taking the focus off actually getting good games to play in the near future.
Then again, I'm hoping for the best of both worlds, especially software, at E3.

I don't think people understand just how slow and awful the Jaguar cores in the PS4 and Bone really are. They are not suitable for these SFF PCs.

A lot of people don't understand the complexities surrounding pc hardware. The Jaguar Cores are probably--best case scenario--on par for early Core 2 cores--Conroe like the ever popular E6400. They are helped by the fact that there's 8 of them, but there's only so much you can plow through 8 very weak, very slow (they are only clocked at like 1.4-1.6GHz) CPU cores without hitting a bottleneck. I remember Crytek was shit on by people after the PS4\XB1 launched for saying the CPU's were pretty garbage, turns out they were pretty spot on.

Donnie

No.

There's a chance that Zen and Polaris will save the company, and if you believe they will then you can certainly buy some AMD based on that, but you should not buy AMD because of this. They make virtually nothing from the console contracts, for AMD's successful competitors those contracts amount to rounding errors in their financials.

How much do they make out of interest?

spons

Gold Member
Thanks for the replies people. Didn't know Jaguar was so poor compared to Intel's offerings. It being used in the two popular consoles did put me on the wrong track in that regard.

krang

This could just be a smart PR move.

"Coming this fall, the Xbox Two. Twice as powerful, and plays all of your Xbox games. MSRP $299." Then all Xbox Two games run on the One as well.

And 360 games with no slow down. That'd be shit hot.

This could just be a smart PR move.

"Coming this fall, the Xbox Two. Twice as powerful, and plays all of your Xbox games. MSRP $299." Then all Xbox Two games run on the One as well.

Ignoring those incredibly optimistic prices, they'd probably be running at half rate on an Xbox One with that kind of difference in power.

ika

NX Home and NX Portable.

Not sure is wise for Sony to release PSVR and the supposed PS4Kin the same quarter... Looks like they're trying to squeeze its users and they're risking its status as leaders that way, IMO. It could backfire badly.

NX Home and NX Portable.

Not sure is wise for Sony to release PSVR and the supposed PS4Kin the same quarter... Looks like they're trying to squeeze its users and they're risking its status as leaders that way, IMO. It could backfire badly.

I thought insiders said the launch would be Q1 2017.

Thanks for the replies people. Didn't know Jaguar was so poor compared to Intel's offerings. It being used in the two popular consoles did put me on the wrong track in that regard.

It's not that they are poor compared to Intel's Offerings, they are slightly slower than equivalent Atom Cores, it's that they were originally designed around energy efficiency and being used within Netbooks and Notebooks. They aren't CPU cores designed for high performance computing, but Sony/Microsoft didn't want to pay out the ass for Intel Cores, and were sick of using PowerPC-based Solutions. They had to go with AMD, and they didn't want to include things like power bricks, so they had to keep power usage in check which meant weak CPU's.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Just because they have revenue from new designs incoming later this year does not mean anything is launching this year nor does it imply that upgraded consoles are a real thing. AMD sold almost all their fabs years ago, these days they sell chip designs which in most cases aren't actually produced by AMD anymore. So making money in 2nd half just means that whoever buys the new designs will start production of those chips at the earliest at that point. Since we have no idea how their contracts are set up (do they have to provide chip designs for die shrinks free of charge?) this could really just be the long awaited die shrink of the existing APUs for the console revision (slim, less power consumption, same feature set). Which was supposedly timed for Q1 of 2016. Also they are talking about their second half of fiscal 2016, don't they? That's October 2016 - March 2017. Could mean new consoles launching holiday 2017 as you typically have to ramp up production months ahead of a launch. Sony briefing devs now would also suggest 2017 at the earliest.

HYDE

Banned
No smoke without fire.

Somethings happening. This E3 could be very interesting. This place will implode if we end up with 3 new consoles being revealed.

I wonder if Sony and Microsoft updating will make NX more or less relevant. I am hoping for the latter and with it an intense competitive battle, that brings with it amazing and exciting games.

Top Bottom