• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon Fury X review thread

Sinistral

Is AMD going to use this architecture the next time they move to a new process? From what I understand nVidia's Pascal could be launching within the the next 6-8 months, and it seems like they would have a significant advantage over AMD with a new architecture, manufacturing process and HMB2.

I will bet my left bollock that Pascal is not coming in 8 months on HBM2's production timeline alone.

Oh I agree. But this is why I was posting links in response to Bubba_Sparks.

How so? If anything, the increasing frametime variance at higher resolutions (which is apparent across most sites who do frametime analysis) would indicate the opposite.

That doesn't necessarily indicate being limited by available memory.

Generally we see the Fury X performing better at 4K than at 1080p relative to the 980 Ti. This suggests that having 2 GB less memory than the 980 Ti is not a disadvantage.

Amd loyalists grasping. Wait for new drivers. Wait for DX12. It goes on and on.

We need a "_________ will save AMD" chalkboard to start crossing things off.

Waiting for Fury X
Waiting for Fury
Waiting for Fury Nano
Waiting for the Benchmarks
Waiting for new drivers
Waiting for Win10/DX12
Waiting for 16/14nm + HBM2
Waiting for Zen + K12
Waiting for Godot

By the end of July, we ought to be able to cross "Waiting for Fury", "Waiting for new drivers", and "Waiting for Win10/DX12" off the list.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's not the drivers

iidf2V2.png

Yes. Yes they do. Always.

outputs.jpg

The Gigabyte G1 Gaming series of cards look like this. That's 2x dual-link DVI, 3x DisplayPort, and 1x HDMI 2.0. It doesn't matter WHAT you own, even if you are somehow still connecting to an analog monitor over VGA, one of those DVI's is actually a DVI-I and can output to VGA which is quite amazing. It can output to all 3 DP connectors at once, both DVI's at once, or anything on the right side of the panel plus something on the left for a total of 4 displays. The way the left side works is, it has an internal TMDS transmitter that can either direct signal to the single DVI on the top left or the 2 DP's below it. THIS is the kind of connector diversity a $650 flagship video card should have on it. If you own it, this card can drive it. Period. Too bad AMD never heard of such a thing it seems.

Durante

That doesn't necessarily indicate being limited by available memory.

Generally we see the Fury X performing better at 4K than at 1080p relative to the 980 Ti. This suggests that having 2 GB less memory than the 980 Ti is not a disadvantage.
It seemingly performs better in FPS, but worse in frametime variance. This could be explained by (a) more memory bandwidth being required and less CPU driver overhead induced at higher resolutions, leading to better overall performance, but (b) the total memory requirements going up and in some games exceeding the available memory, leading to intermittent microstutter as assets are swapped of PCIe.

You are right that it doesn't necessarily indicate this, but the observations are in line with the theory.

Crisium

outputs.jpg

The Gigabyte G1 Gaming series of cards look like this. That's 2x dual-link DVI, 3x DisplayPort, and 1x HDMI 2.0. It doesn't matter WHAT you own, even if you are somehow still connecting to an analog monitor over VGA, one of those DVI's is actually a DVI-I and can output to VGA which is quite amazing. It can output to all 3 DP connectors at once, both DVI's at once, or anything on the right side of the panel plus something on the left for a total of 4 displays. The way the left side works is, it has an internal TMDS transmitter that can either direct signal to the single DVI on the top left or the 2 DP's below it. THIS is the kind of connector diversity a $650 flagship video card should have on it. If you own it, this card can drive it. Period. Too bad AMD never heard of such a thing it seems.

This really is the finest air cooled card out there right now. You forgot to mention how it clocks faster than any other air 980Ti or Titan X. Unless Fury does something magical in the next month I'm so gonna get one.

As an example of VRAM stuttering of a similar variety, load up heavvy VRAM games on a 970. They will in general have a good avg framerate, but the minimum framerates and the qualitative experience will be less enjoyable.

I am currently extremely ocnfused as to who for what situation this card is designed... the memory bandwidth advantage does not seem to be pulling much if any weight.

dumbo

As an example of VRAM stuttering of a similar variety, load up heavvy VRAM games on a 970. They will in general have a good avg framerate, but the minimum framerates and the qualitative experience will be less enjoyable.

I am currently extremely ocnfused as to who for what situation this card is designed... the memory bandwidth advantage does not seem to be pulling much if any weight.

Yep, certainly the figures look rather weird... it will be interesting to see if DX12/vulkan have any effect on those figures.

I also wonder if this card might be more suited to VR, as that's a kindof quirky performance area.

tuxfool

Banned
Yep, certainly the figures look rather weird... it will be interesting to see if DX12/vulkan have any effect on those figures.

I also wonder if this card might be more suited to VR, as that's a kindof quirky performance area.

Everything about this card suggests it will be better for VR, provided AMD gets their frame times under control.

This is particularly true if VR solutions use LiquidVR, which uses Async compute to guarantee timely delivery of frames. This card has two things that make it an async compute monster, namely ACEs and 4096 SPs.

From what I understand Oculus is using that along with the Fury X on its latest demos.

This really is the finest air cooled card out there right now. You forgot to mention how it clocks faster than any other air 980Ti or Titan X. Unless Fury does something magical in the next month I'm so gonna get one.

And I'd be putting one of those Gigabyte 980 TI G1s in my system... IF I COULD FIND ONE IN STOCK!

This is killing me. I really don't want to buy the MSI Gaming version, just because of the color scheme. Everything else about it seems to come close to the G1, but I think it's just ugly compared to the G1. Hopefully I can hold out.

cirrhosis

Brent at [H] posted an a minor update to their Fury X review about his experience with OCing:

Brent Justice said:
We've had some time now to do some preliminary overclocking with the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X. We have found that you can control the speed of the fan on the radiator with MSI Afterburner. Turning it up to 100% fan speed keeps the GPU much cooler when attempting to overclock, and isn't that loud.

For example, during our overclocking attempts the GPU was at 37c at full-load removing temperature as a factor holding back overclocking. We also found out that you will not be able to overclock HBM, it is at 500MHz and will stay at 500MHz. You will only be able to overclock the GPU. Currently, there is no way to unlock voltage modification of the GPU.

In our testing we found that the GPU hard locked in gaming at 1150MHz 100% fan speed 37c. Moving down to 1140MHz we were able to play The Witcher 3 without crashing so far. This is with the fan at 100% and 37c degree GPU. So far, 1140MHz seems to be stable, but we have not tested other games nor tested the overclock for a prolonged amount of time.

More testing needs to be done, but our preliminary testing seems to indicate 1130-1140MHz may be the overclock. This is about a 70-80MHz overclock over stock speed of 1050MHz. That is a rather small increase in overclock and doesn't really amount to any gameplay experience or noteworthy performance improvements.

We have at least learned that temperature is not the factor holding the overclock back, at 37c there was a lot of headroom with the liquid cooling system. There are other factors holding the overclock back, one of which may be voltage.

Wag

outputs.jpg

How does it have HDMI 2.0? There are no active DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 converters out there yet. Just curious.

Here's a fun review, the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980 Ti reviewed AFTER the launch of Fury X by Hexus. So it's an example of a Fury X going against a factory overclocked 980 Ti.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/84284-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-980-ti-g1-gaming-6gb/

The Fury X gets humiliated by an overclocked 980 Ti. It's actually really ugly to witness how badly the Fury X fares against a card which comes from the factory running at the clock speeds the G1 Gaming has.

6d29fd03-39ae-4f94-b5d2-aec255d2aa8f.png

psn

Here's a fun review, the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980 Ti reviewed AFTER the launch of Fury X by Hexus. So it's an example of a Fury X going against a factory overclocked 980 Ti.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/84284-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-980-ti-g1-gaming-6gb/

The Fury X gets humiliated by an overclocked 980 Ti. It's actually really ugly to witness how badly the Fury X fares against a card which comes from the factory running at the clock speeds the G1 Gaming has.

Damn. Seeing this just confirms that I dont need an upgrade yet. 290x is still powerful enough..

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
I just went over to my friends who just got his fury X, it is anything but quite, it has worse coil whine than the 970s and 670s and 45 dollar PSUs, and the fan is actually loud, it also didn't perform on par it my OC 980 or his 980ti and hrs so upset he's returning it.

after further research we we found a video by jayztwocents. we came to the conclusion that the reviewers got GOLDEN samples that were also silicon lottery chips because my friend had the same experience as jay. if you were an official reviewer AMD must have sent a pre Okayed card that was binned, checked for or maybe even improved for coil whine, and for some reason ours are not as quite as all these reviews say....also not only werecwe ae to get 980ti to perform bettter but we were both able to get overclock 980's to perform better.

did AMD cherry pick samples for their reviews because both my friend and jay got different results

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEwLtqbBw90

Durante

I just went over to my friends who just got his fury X, it is anything but quite, it has worse coil whine than the 970s and 670s and 45 dollar PSUs, and the fan is actually loud, it also didn't perform on par it my OC 980 or his 980ti and hrs so upset he's returning it.

after further research we we found a video by jayztwocents. we came to the conclusion that the reviewers got GOLDEN samples that were also silicon lottery chips because my friend had the same experience as jay. if you were an official reviewer AMD must have sent a pre Okayed card that was binned, checked for or maybe even improved for coil whine, and for some reason ours are not as quite as all these reviews say....also not only werecwe ae to get 980ti to perform bettter but we were both able to get overclock 980's to perform better.

did AMD cherry pick samples for their reviews because both my friend and jay got different results

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEwLtqbBw90
Computerbase, awesome as they are, tested both a press sample and a retail card. They noted coil whine on both, but the press sample was actually worse.

edoman20

Neo Member

Humillated by 5 frames?

Hyperbole much? "Humiliated"? Are you being serious or just trolling?

On a side note, your earlier post about an AMD checklist is so transparently anti-AMD to the point it seems you actually want them to go under so we can all benefit from an nVidia GPU monopoly. Brilliant plan. I own multiple GPUs from both AMD & nVidia & altho right now I would say I prefer my nVidia GPUs (especially the 750Ti/960 class in my mini-ITX & HTPC systems) the experience is so close between GPUs at various price points it is almost imperceptible in most situations.

Using the kind of language you use to describe the current situation with Fury X is simply ridiculous & helps feed the unfortunate & counter-productive fan-boy silliness that permeates this market. Grow up.

Durante

that's a reviewer I never heard of I'll have to check it.
Computerbase really have the second-best GPU reviews right now, after Tech Report, IMHO. Better in some regards actually (e.g. larger selection of games, more in-depth noise/temp testing).

The biggest problem for most people is that their articles are in German.

Hyperbole much? "Humiliated"? Are you being serious or just trolling?
If you look at both the relative increase in FPS and the fact that it is in 4K, then I would assume he is right.
We're talking about a 19% performance gap between the Fury X and the 980Ti OC. This is a lot.

Then, also remember the context. We were given infos about how much of an increae in performance Fury X would be in comparison to nVidia offerings. Look at where we are now.
"Humiliated" while harsh, is a word that we can use in this case. I have no preference for either manufacturer but to me, it doesn't sound like an exaggeration.

cyen

Not seeing any humiliation, at stock it´s head to head to a titan x (1 fps diference). Let´s wait for a voltage unlock and driver optimizations since amd gains alot over time with driver optimizations. If it had 8GB HBM i would have sold my titan x to get one.

Durante

People still focus too much on FPS. The real issue ("humiliation" if you want) with Fury X' performance right now is consistency:

w3-99th.gif

bf4-99th.gif

c3-99th.gif

People still focus too much on FPS. The real issue ("humiliation" if you want) with Fury X' performance right now is consistency:

w3-99th.gif

bf4-99th.gif

c3-99th.gif
...exactly. That's the real issue.

But I suppose all of this will be history once we'll have FreeSync in pretty much every future (*cough*) monitor in existence, no ?

But I suppose all of this will be history once we'll have FreeSync in pretty much every future (*cough*) monitor in existence, no ?

I'm not sure whether you are serious, but I think that the stutters would still be pretty annoying even with a FreeSync solution.

Durante

Variable refresh rates don't help much with inconsistent frametimes. I mean, at least you won't have interference effects between the framerate and presentation rate, but it will still not be fluid if every other frame is delivered much more slowly.

TarNaru33

Banned
dude i can see why you get called out in amd threads, youre a bit much and on my ignore list now.

I think he exaggerates too really... Sorry guys, but the frame rates aren't "humiliating" especially when the card is cheaper than the GTX 980 Ti in my view. Too much hyperbole in threads like these, which makes me cringe when I read them.

I was hoping this card would be better. Since it is not as good at 1080P and the GTX 980 performs well at 1440P, I shall be going for the 980 TI card. I couldn't care about 4K at this moment really.

I'm not sure whether you are serious, but I think that the stutters would still be pretty annoying even with a FreeSync solution.

Variable refresh rates don't help much with inconsistent frametimes. I mean, at least you won't have interference effects between the framerate and presentation rate, but it will still not be fluid if every other frame is delivered much more slowly.
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, seems logical. Things are looking even worse.
How much is that factory overclocked 980ti compared to the FuryX? $100-150 more?
In Switzerland, the Gigabyte Gaming is only 20 CHF more expensive than the Fury X.
The EVGA GTX 980 Ti is 30 CHF less expensive.

Durante, is there any possibility for AMD to compare favourably to the 980Ti at this point ?

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, seems logical. Things are looking even worse.

In Switzerland, the Gigabyte Gaming is only 20 CHF more expensive than the Fury X.
The EVGA GTX 980 Ti is 30 CHF less expensive.

Durante, is there any possibility for AMD to compare favourably to the 980Ti at this point ?

Well, it is smaller, quieter and stays cooler. Aside from that not really, but things may still improve with drivers.

Durante

As I said much earlier in the thread, it already competes pretty well in noise, temperature, and FPS at 4k.

If they lower the price a bit and fix the frametime variance in software (if that is possible) it could be a valid choice for 4k gaming. Both of these really need to happen though before I'd suggest it to anyone (unless someone really needs this particular form factor).

tuxfool

Banned
As I said much earlier in the thread, it already competes pretty well in noise, temperature, and FPS at 4k.

If they lower the price a bit and fix the frametime variance in software (if that is possible) it could be a valid choice for 4k gaming. Both of these really need to happen though before I'd suggest it to anyone (unless someone really needs this particular form factor).

They have a method, which is pushing async compute (with LiquidVR). Whether that ever translates into other games is another question.

Zaptruder

Banned

outputs.jpg

This son of a bitch card. Gotta go return it because faulty DP 1.2 ports (runs fine at DP1.1 spec, but I ain't time for 30Hz)... keeps getting sold out (replacement waiting on order), so I've been using my old Radeon card as my main for the last week and a half.

Fuckin' bummed I made the switch the Nvidia.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
This son of a bitch card. Gotta go return it because faulty DP 1.2 ports (runs fine at DP1.1 spec, but I ain't time for 30Hz)... keeps getting sold out (replacement waiting on order), so I've been using my old Radeon card as my main for the last week and a half.

Fuckin' bummed I made the switch the Nvidia.

Curious, you getting black screens at windows logon and sometimes no input source black screen anywhere with DP?

Rafterman

Banned
How much is that factory overclocked 980ti compared to the FuryX? $100-150 more?

You can get a stock Ti to clock at those speeds pretty easily, though. In fact you can overclock that card another 10-15% on top of what it's already clocked at.

Zaptruder

Banned
Curious, you getting black screens at windows logon and sometimes no input source black screen anywhere with DP?

Difficulty connecting with DP - two of the ports don't work at all. If the main DP port connects at all at 3880x1440 @ 60Hz then it'll start off ok... and then start flickering and blanking out - like I've overclocked the card way too much

Except I'm just sitting on desktop at stock G1 speeds. The rest of the ports are fine - but obviously can't do that res at that refresh. Monitor doesn't do HDMI 2.0 either.

tuxfool

Banned
What I find interesting is how the 295X holds up. Dual card, sure but it's putting in work.

The problem with that graph is that it is only showing the 99th percentile. What is important to note is the difference between that and the average frame time. Of you look at the frame time sample graphs, the radeons produce noisier results, it only shows up lower due to pure brute force.

You can get a stock Ti to clock at those speeds pretty easily, though. In fact you can overclock that card another 10-15% on top of what it's already clocked at.

A reference 980 Ti? You could, but the problem is those cards have a pretty poor fan/cooler on them, so you would end up with a very noisey and hot card, which would be too much for most people.

Despite the claims of some above, the Fury X is much quieter than a reference 980 Ti.

Top Bottom