• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Benchmark Leaked, Dominates Intel’s i9 9900K in Single-threaded Performance

thelastword

Banned
This leak comes via the official CPUBenchmark.net database, which lists the Ryzen 5 3600 clear as day leading every single other CPU on the market on the database’s single-threaded performance leaderboard, including Intel’s 5Ghz i9 9900K speed demon.

Remember, this is the entry level AMD Ryzen 3000 processor for $199

9povxdx.png

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-36...tels-i9-9900k-in-single-threaded-performance/

noonjam

chances are the benchmark is making good use of the very large cache the zen 2 parts have ontop of the better ipc they bring to the table. This is inflating the score.

There was an older benchmark which escapes me at the moment that had to do some changes in the past when cpu's cache got large enough to fit most of it in it.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned

Basically, 3900X clocked at 4.5Ghz against the 9900k clocked at 4.9Ghz shows the 3900X at 79 points less in single thread performance in Geekbench and decimates in multicore performance……...Note: engineering samples and all that, early bios etc..., as AMD announced that the 3900X can hit 4.6Ghz boost as per normal...…..No need to talk about OC on water coolers et al......At least not yet.....Much too early eh!

------------------------------------------
3900x vs 9900k

Single core Performance

5905 vs 5984

Multi core Performance

44849 vs 33153

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
chances are the benchmark is making good use of the very large cache the zen 2 parts have ontop of the better ipc they bring to the table. This is inflating the score.

There was an older benchmark which escapes me at the moment that had to do some changes in the past when cpu's cache got large enough to fit most of it in it.
This terminology is implying cheating. It's taking advantage of what AMD offers as opposed to Intel.

noonjam

This terminology is implying cheating. It's taking advantage of what AMD offers as opposed to Intel.
It's not cheating they just have better hardware. The benchmark is just old, they would just need to be updated to account for the architecture changes.

Last edited:
I'll wait to see how AMD's dyno queen actually performs in-game before I get too excited. I won't be needing a new CPU for a while.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
haha no it isn't. AMD smoked the shit out of Intel's P4 with the Athon64. Actually, the Althon64 had a bigger performance lead than this. This is basically just parity + more cores.
Unfortunately for AMD, Intel put all there eggs in Core 2 Duo and AMD got a bit cocky and stopped pushing the envelope since then AMD has been playing catch up.

GHG

Gold Member
Definitely getting one of these new AMD processors in my next build.

Glad single core perf is strong as well since that means they should perform well in sim racing titles like rRaceroom and Assetto Corsa.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ice Lake (2019) has surpassed Zen 2 (2019) in IPC :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
Except Ice Lake won't be coming to desktop until at least 2020.

:lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

And possibly even later.

WHo knows how accurate that is, but it will be a long while before we Ice Lake CPUs for gamers. Long while.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Correct. Unfortunately for Intel that is currently at the cost of clockspeeds and core count.
See my post above. Ice Lake desktops CPUs are a long ways off. Laptops and servers are Intel's bread and butter and they will get 10nm priority.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Lol for intel and nvidia slaves :

I wonder which corporate you'll suck when intel launches their gpus. The choice between green or blue may be too much to handle!
I've got to admit that was one of the sillier Leonidas posts. He is saying a desktop CPU that may not be available to gamers until 2021 is going to have better IPC than a CPU coming out in 2 weeks.

Leonidas

I've got to admit that was one of the sillier Leonidas posts. He is saying a desktop CPU that may not be available to gamers until 2021 is going to have better IPC than a CPU coming out in 2 weeks.

And that's where you're wrong, I never said desktop. You are reading words that where never posted from me.
Intel still leads CPU IPC in 2019.

Kenpachii

This leak comes via the official CPUBenchmark.net database, which lists the Ryzen 5 3600 clear as day leading every single other CPU on the market on the database’s single-threaded performance leaderboard, including Intel’s 5Ghz i9 9900K speed demon.

Remember, this is the entry level AMD Ryzen 3000 processor for $199

9povxdx.png

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-36...tels-i9-9900k-in-single-threaded-performance/

5ghz cpu clocked at 3.6ghz? makes total sense lamo.

Now show case me some game FPS comparisons and if that keeps up i wanna see what intel is going to do. this is interesting.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

The bench is just reporting the base clock.
Edit: Or that is the string that CPUID and similar tools grab.

Oh that could make sense then. Found it odd. Anyway 200 bucks for a cpu that dwarfs a 500 one is really interesting if they can make this come true. I honestly want to see the top model then.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Oh that could make sense then. Found it odd. Anyway 200 bucks for a cpu that dwarfs a 500 one is really interesting if they can make this come true. I honestly want to see the top model then.
Definitely promising. Not long until we'll have non-synthetic 3rd party benchmarks.
The benchmark numbers don't quite make sense overall to me though, 6 cores vs 8. Take it with a grain of salt.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No, I basically just corrected a poster who made a false statement, then you misquoted me...
You actually did make a false statement because you’re talking about a CPU that no consumer has possession of or will not likely have possession of until the end of the year at absolute earliest.

Saying Ice Lake holds the IPC crown is unfounded since the only benchmarks come from Intel itself and it can’t be checked or proven until next year. That’s not an argument that’s desperation.

In two weeks we will know much more about Ryzen 3000. It’s entirely possible that the Intel 9-series will still possess the best IPC.

dirthead

Banned
I really hope someone reputable MAME benchmarks, because that's the single core metric where Intel's always destroyed AMD. If AMD wins there, I'm going AMD no question.

PhoenixTank

You actually did make a false statement because you’re talking about a CPU that no consumer has possession of or will not likely have possession of until the end of the year at absolute earliest.
Technically there is a Dell XPS laptop with Ice Lake due in August (delayed from July). Intel would also be in a tonne of shit with investors if they lied about how it compared to their 9th gen. IPC was something they were the least vague about.
Realistically it isn't hugely relevant to desktop gaming aside from a peek at what we'll get eventually from Intel. I am struggling to find anything concrete on what the next Intel desktop platform is named & built on and when. Leonidas isn't wrong, you're just arguing about different things.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Technically there is a Dell XPS laptop with Ice Lake due in August (delayed from July). Intel would also be in a tonne of shit with investors if they lied about how it compared to their 9th gen. IPC was something they were the least vague about.
Realistically it isn't hugely relevant to desktop gaming aside from a peek at what we'll get eventually from Intel. I am struggling to find anything concrete on what the next Intel desktop platform is named & built on and when. Leonidas isn't wrong, you're just arguing about different things.
Please show me about Dell XPS. Every article I could find shows Ice Lake laptops coming in late 2019.

Desktop Ice Lake CPUs nobody has any idea, but unlikely to be this year.

Also Intel is already in a shit ton for the loss of marketshare and the delays on the move to 10nm. It’s not uncommon for numbers to get spun in a positive light when presenting them to investors.

Now do I expect Icd Lake to feature a drastically improved IPC? Absolutely as long as it has been delayed it needs to be outstanding.

Last edited:
haha no it isn't. AMD smoked the shit out of Intel's P4 with the Athon64. Actually, the Althon64 had a bigger performance lead than this. This is basically just parity + more cores.

That's my point, it's only happened once before where AMD had an IPC lead in living memory. And you say parity, but Ryzen 3000 has that in single core, but multi-core, multi-thread performance they are going to give Intel one hell of a beating.

Saying Ice Lake holds the IPC crown is unfounded since the only benchmarks come from Intel itself and it can’t be checked or proven until next year. That’s not an argument that’s desperation.

In two weeks we will know much more about Ryzen 3000. It’s entirely possible that the Intel 9-series will still possess the best IPC.

He doesn't know what he's talking about as usual. Firstly, Ice Lake are not desktop CPUs. Secondly, these 2-core mobile CPUs can only clock up to 4.3Ghz, so it needs more than 18% IPC gains to match Intel's newest 14nm mobile CPUs in performance. Thirdly, and hilariously, there will be no Ice Lake desktop CPUs to go head to head with Ryzen 3000. Intel's next desktop gen is going to be 14nm yet again. That's in 2020. Worse, the gen after that is supposed to still be on 14nm+++++.

So him saying 'Ice Lake will retake the IPC lead' is about as relevant as saying Ryzen 5000 will have higher IPC than Coffee Lake L.

dirthead

Banned
That's my point, it's only happened once before where AMD had an IPC lead in living memory. And you say parity, but Ryzen 3000 has that in single core, but multi-core, multi-thread performance they are going to give Intel one hell of a beating.

I still want to see actual game benchmarks before declaring anything. Intel has always destroyed AMD in emulators. If they pull ahead in MAME, I'll be truly impressed.

PhoenixTank

Please show me about Dell XPS. Every article I could find shows Ice Lake laptops coming in late 2019.

Desktop Ice Lake CPUs nobody has any idea, but unlikely to be this year.

Also Intel is already in a shit ton for the loss of marketshare and the delays on the move to 10nm. It’s not uncommon for numbers to get spun in a positive light when presenting them to investors.

Now do I expect Icd Lake to feature a drastically improved IPC? Absolutely as long as it has been delayed it needs to be outstanding.
Regarding August: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-s-XPS-13-2-in-1-7390-already-delayed.422941.0.html
"Dell XPS 7390" in google should bring up everything else you need to know. A lot of articles from May with general impressions.

Yeah, desktop looks worrying. I can't remember whether the leaked roadmaps were entirely accurate or not, but 2020/21 did not paint a pretty picture. Hence why I'm after concrete info. I'd settle for knowing if the next desktop platform is going to be 14nm again or 10nm. Positive light, yes, and I like to think I can cut through the spin, but they can't lie to them without serious repercussions.

Intel still have a capacity advantage with 14nm AFAICT, but AMD looks to hit them where it hurts with high end and server parts, taking a very profitable % of the market away.

Last edited:
Before people get overly hyped : No that does NOT mean that the Ryzen 5 3600 is faster than the 9900K in games. Almost assuredly it is slower.
It is quite close in single thread in some other benchmarks.
He doesn't know what he's talking about as usual. Firstly, Ice Lake are not desktop CPUs. Secondly, these 2-core mobile CPUs can only clock up to 4.3Ghz, so it needs more than 18% IPC gains to match Intel's newest 14nm mobile CPUs in performance. Thirdly, and hilariously, there will be no Ice Lake desktop CPUs to go head to head with Ryzen 3000. Intel's next desktop gen is going to be 14nm yet again. That's in 2020. Worse, the gen after that is supposed to still be on 14nm+++++.

So him saying 'Ice Lake will retake the IPC lead' is about as relevant as saying Ryzen 5000 will have higher IPC than Coffee Lake L.
If they can only reach 4.3Ghz they are also unlikely to match ryzen desktop performance either. You could have higher IPC but if you were 1Ghz, it may be difficult to match faster processors.

Last edited:

kiiltz

Can some ELI5 lol

Does this essentially mean that Intel isn't necessarily the go to now for software performance like Photoshop, Game Development, Video Editing, Streaming, etc?

This is completely dependent on which software you run, and they are not trying to beach a CPU's RAM access speeds... Also, with a 36/70MB cache quite a lot of software will mostly run in L2/3 for these new Ryzen chips, this is why AMD added this cache in the first place.

Anyway, both may end up in the same relative place once you run the tests on some piece of software that stresses the CPU caches some more, this or you'll end up with some "real worls" tests giving benefits to Intel, then some others giving the benefit to AMD.

Another interesting point is Intel pushing developers (especially those that develop benchmarks) to use their compiler - which optimize software for their CPUs - good for them, only the problem is that on some instances they will fail to use the fast execution path when they share features like SSE and AVX, which can lead to misleading results in a much more insidious manner.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The only thing I am legitimately worried about is the price of X570 boards. I’m concerned that the cheaper boards will cost over $200.

Of course there are still X470, but I want that high speed storage

Top Bottom