• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen CPUs will launch by March 3

Oxn

It's not quite clear how much single threaded performance is traded in, though. The overall value proposition could still be quite good. Not really clear how good at this point.

Not sure what the troll is here, apart from apparently not appeasing people far too invested in AMD performance.

Like this guy.

The 'we' thing is a little scary. And yeah, the 1800X value proposition is very clear and impressive. But that's a different target audience altogether and not something I'm personally interested in.

Get a 7700k

Not sure what the troll is here, apart from apparently not appeasing people far too invested in AMD performance.

I'm only a lurker on this thread, so I may be wrong, but it may be your ridiculous overdramatic reaction to just about everything said so far.

Including negative information about AMD processors, which apparently sharing makes other people fanboys? Not quite sure how that adds up.

I'm only a lurker on this thread, so I may be wrong, but it may be your ridiculous overdramatic reaction to just about everything said so far.

Including negative information about AMD processors, which apparently sharing makes other people fanboys? Not quite sure how that adds up.
I'm not sure what overreaction you're talking about, to be honest. But it's okay, this is going nowhere constructive anyway so I'll just not discuss this on here anymore.

I'll wait for the benchmarks at launch to decide fully but so far they've shown a $329 8 core 16 thread CPU which beats the 7700K by almost 50% in cinebench with a TDP of 65W...

g7IsB.gif

yup, in my veins

Oxn

Funny thing is his claim of me being an amd fanboy when i have never owned an amd cpu in my life.

Or how about waiting for gaming benchmarks instead of telling them to get a 7700k.

Just telling the guy what he wants to hear.

badb0y

I would not get a quad core CPU today for a gaming system I plan to hold on to for the next 4-5 years. Most game today are not multithreaded past 4 but I expect that to change in the near future. I remember when I upgraded my E8400 to 2600k and a lot people back then were claiming all you needed was a dual core for gaming.

Funny thing is his claim of me being an amd fanboy when i have never owned an amd cpu in my life.

Just telling the guy what he wants to hear.
I don't know if you're a fanboy. I just don't know why you'd all caps at someone to GET A 7700K apropos of nothing.

Putty

I've got an i7 3770k, i only use for my work (Cubase, Soundforge, Wavelab etc etc), what could any of these cpu's do for me?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I've got an i7 3770k, i only use for my work (Cubase, Soundforge, Wavelab etc etc), what could any of these cpu's do for me?
Provide you with a decent market prices next time you upgrade your IVB which does not currently need upgrading? ; )

Putty

Provide you with a decent market prices next time you upgrade your IVB which does not currently need upgrading? ; )

Well, i'm hitting some limits yes 8). I usually throw the kitchen sink with my music but am finding lately i'm having to do some track freezing...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Can we expect a significant price drop on current Intel CPU's? Because I don't want to change mobo and I use 38 PCiE lanes and 8 RAM sticks, otherwise I would have already pre-ordered a Ryzen.

Oxn

Well, i'm hitting some limits yes 8). I usually throw the kitchen sink with my music but am finding lately i'm having to do some track freezing...

I also have a 3770k. Dunno why but it seems to be slowing down.

Programs arent opening as fast and i even get drops in overwatch now. Maybe its an ssd or gpu problem.

Wow.. that Ryzen 7 presentation was the least cringe worth AMD presentation in a while.

Hyped for sure. Hopefully the reviewer benches will back 'em up and hopefully Vega is awesome as well. 2017 may be AMD's year.

Ryzen and VEGA are not mutually exclusive. I have low expectations for VEGA, not out until May when a Volta card is coming at the end of the year as well.

You need more cores, threads, frequency and IPC...all of which Ryzen can provide you. Ok I sound like an AMD salesman :D

Tovarisc

Can we expect a significant price drop on current Intel CPU's? Because I don't want to change mobo and I use 38 PCiE lanes and 8 RAM sticks, otherwise I would have already pre-ordered a Ryzen.

I'm surprised if we see any official cuts from Intel any time soon. Maybe 6 months or so down the road after Ryzen is out, they want see how market reacts and changes.

AMD has a lot to prove here so they gain traction with consumers looking for new CPU.

nubbe

I think Intel are confident in their brand and do have some strong enthusiastic advantages with their x99 platform

So, not much

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

I'm hoping we see some movement, I could get quite a boost going from my i5-6600 at stock to an unlocked i7-7700k.

Hopefully this competition from AMD lights a fire under Intels current prices, will be interesting to watch and see over the next 6 months or so.

Marlenus

'best' translates to what, 1 or 2 fps extra on average in games. Irrelevant.

If you compare across cost then perhaps, but really most gamers would be well served with one of the 6 core variants and the money saved vs the 7700k will mean you can afford a better GPU leading to an overall better gaming machine than the 7700k build in a good chunk of titles.

If you compare across cost then perhaps, but really most gamers would be well served with one of the 6 core variants and the money saved vs the 7700k will mean you can afford a better GPU leading to an overall better gaming machine than the 7700k build in a good chunk of titles.

I'm a lot more interested in how the lower-end Ryzen chips perform because of exactly this.

Man even if the CPUs aren't built solely for gaming purposes, I'm probably just going to get a 1600X/1700 for my gaming rig just to show my support. Really curious on the performance of the lower end Ryzen chips.

manuel

Neo Member
You can compare your cpu to a 4790k right now, and you could roughly see the improvement you would get from the 1400x.
Soo like 50% clock for clock singlethreaded performance more. Not bad. My Cpu has a 103 CBench singlethreaded score @4.3 GHz. If the 1400x could reach that clock with my AIO watercooler it would be significant. And it has 4 more threads. My 7670k can go to 4.6GHz but it gets realy hot...

Datschge

The same thing that happened in the early 2000s. Intel has to cut prices and their chips aren't competitive for a couple of years. But they unleash their r and d for real we get a huge jump like the core series was from the pentium 4s again.
The core series didn't come from nowhere though, it was a continuation of the earlier Israeli Pentium M designs that lost out to the US NetBurst design of Pentium 4. That turned out to be a huge mistake that could be resolved by switching the design again.

The state today is that in the last decade Intel focused more on progress for its iGPU than the actual CPU part. There aren't any fundamental mistakes like NetBurst, they just keep going slowly and mostly improving efficiency. Not sure how they would speed up again from there.

If all the Ryzen benchmarks are indicative of its power we'll see a true head to head competition about further improvements that's even unlike to AMD's last peak. And the new high end will soon be dominated by insane HBM stacked CPUs. Very exciting times if true.

Just finished it, 4.1ghz clock for the 1800x, very nice. 3.7 for the 1700 is definitely not bad at all. Interested to see how much headroom the 1800x gives you compared to the 1700 when everything is maxed out.

Soo like 50% clock for clock singlethreaded performance more. Not bad. My Cpu has a 103 CBench singlethreaded score @4.3 GHz. If the 1400x could reach that clock with my AIO watercooler it would be significant. And it has 4 more threads. My 7670k can go to 4.6GHz but it gets realy hot...

Yes clock for clock, it would be roughly that much better in single thread performance, based on all we know so far. I would definitely bet on the 1400x being able to reach that clock speed, being an x model, it will be binned better and perhaps given a higher power target ceiling.

Duxxy3

This is an exciting time for builders. I haven't put an AMD based system together for quite a while.

Last one was my X4 965. It would be nice to have AMD back on the map.

Seriously guys I never been this excited, all those times I just stuck with Intel. This kinda boost my mood to make a new rig.

But lets see how gaming benchmark reports are...

If you have AMD apu then bail out and upgrade to Zen as soon as possible.

Papacheeks

Banned
This information leaked back in January I think. The whole lineup leak was inaccurate in places but it didn't show any release dates anyway.

So basically your last post was from "Tales from your ass"?

It was not known, and we didn't even know for 100% what was going to be available until today on March 3rd.

This should be good competition for Intel, they better step it up this year and lower the prices (wishful thinking)

In the high end space, this is more than just competition if all the several benches are true, it's basically laying a smack-down on Intel there, as the Ryzen CPUs are faster and 1/3RD of the price to HALF the price.

Sinistral

'best' translates to what, 1 or 2 fps extra on average in games. Irrelevant.

In an absolute vacuum, that 1 or 2 extra FPS would still dictate the 'best' yes. Not irrelevant, miniscule yeah. But we're not it's not in a vacuum, so you have to compare other things. I still expect the intel parts to OC better, because of the lower core counts and better fab process. So for -just gaming- in the current landscape, I think it will be the better CPU on core speed alone. It's up to the individual to weigh other options and gauge what's best for them.

Value proposition has been a topic of recent posts, one of the major factors people should consider is the longevity of the platform each CPU comes on. The AM4 platform is already proposed to last 4 years at least and have support for APUs. So buying in early now, and then in 4 years time dropping in another CPU/APU into the current build is a possibility. Whereas with Intel, you're probably going to have to get a new motherboard with a new chipset as that seems to be expected.

Defuser

Looks like the 1600x seems to be the sweet spot for me to upgrade from my 2500k. Despite the 1700/1700x/1800x, the 1600x is also gonna be very appealing and a hit.

Durante

Value proposition has been a topic of recent posts, one of the major factors people should consider is the longevity of the platform each CPU comes on. The AM4 platform is already proposed to last 4 years at least and have support for APUs. So buying in early now, and then in 4 years time dropping in another CPU/APU into the current build is a possibility. Whereas with Intel, you're probably going to have to get a new motherboard with a new chipset as that seems to be expected.
I don't think platform longevity has much relevance in the modern CPU market. Even if a platform remains an option for 4 years, that's not really a meaningful CPU upgrade interval these days for the vast majority of use cases.

Looking back at the last 4 years, e.g. your ports get outdated more quickly than your CPU.

spwolf

This is an exciting time for builders. I haven't put an AMD based system together for quite a while.

Last one was my X4 965. It would be nice to have AMD back on the map.

i did, with FX8320, and it sucks ass. I am willing to give them another chance because Intel is just crazy with their 8 core cpu pricing.

Jaagen

Man, Ryzen would be such a sweet step up from my FX-4100. However, with limited funds, I am looking at getting an FX-8350 instead, seeing it will be a lot cheaper than a CPU + memory + motherboards combo.

manuel

Neo Member
If you have AMD apu then bail out and upgrade to Zen as soon as possible.
Yes this is the general opinion i guess about amd apus but to be sincere, my r9 270x 2GB is the real bottleneck in the majority of games I play, the only exeption being GTA5. For instance, it is capable to run DS3 @60FPS 1080p but on low settings with the only area that it strugles with being cathedral of the deep, but if I lower the resolution to 720p it is locked 60FPS...
Anyway, I think a cheap mATX board with overclocking abilities, 1400x, 16 gigs of ddr4@ max clocks that the board supports and a rx 480 8gigs will be my next build. Being poor and from a third world country is not fun... Good thing is that in my country AMD products are generaly cheaper than their Intel or Nvidia counterparts. Hope it remains that way with Ryzen.

Literally just got a budget overclocked FX8320e setup a few months ago...but I can't *wait* to upgrade to this.

Looking to see what that 1700x and RX480 8GB duo is looking like...

Sinistral

I don't think platform longevity has much relevance in the modern CPU market. Even if a platform remains an option for 4 years, that's not really a meaningful CPU upgrade interval these days for the vast majority of use cases.

Looking back at the last 4 years, e.g. your ports get outdated more quickly than your CPU.

You're mostly right, but it is for me and I don't think I'm alone. Imagine if people could drop in a new kaby lake into their existing sandy bridge computers, would they even bother building a whole new rig?

Especially as someone who will sell or give away the computer to family when I build a new one. My current x58 started with an i7 930, and I recently just upgraded the cpu to a Xeon X5650 last year gaining 50% performance. 4c8t to 6c/12t both at 4ghz. If I can do something similar or even better in 4 years. Great, if not, the option is still nice. I even have USB 3.0 ports.

Top Bottom