• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's buggy drivers potential flex tape

I have been having issues with a 7900 XTX ever since I got it 2 months ago, drivers constantly crashing and Windows deciding to disable the GPU. This is widespread across AMD's recent GPU's from what I've seen and manifests as disabled drivers or Adrenalines error message "driver timeout". I did everything to resolve the issue from remounting the GPU with a stand to keep it perfectly level in the PCI slot, disabling MPO, turning off EXPO for ram and running to 4800 from 6400, downclocking/lowering voltages, erasing everything AMD and installing GPU drivers with no software, reinstalling Windows etc.

A week ago I looked into Event Viewer and noticed a pattern, it was how fast Windows found an issue with no response from the GPU and then shut the GPU driver down to prevent a BSOD. It was almost immediately. So I tested reducing the time Windows waited for a GPU error to resolve from 2 seconds to 5 minutes. This is done by making registry edits to TDR and TDR DDI delay. This forces Windows to wait for the GPU to respond instead of allowing it to crash right away. Since Friday of last week I have experienced zero issues with the card, when before I was having issues multiple times a day.

To summarize, delete all AMD drivers/software in safe mode with DDU software https://github.com/Wagnard/display-drivers-uninstaller, install the GPU only driver with no Adrenaline. Then set both TDR to a bigger number like 5 minutes.

Last edited:

twilo99

Man, that must’ve been sooo annoying to figure out and fix. Thanks for sharing!

I just don’t understand how they can ship a product with such issues on the software side, it’s not like they don’t have enough time to test things out..

I’ve had almost zero issues with Rdna2

Windows 11?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I've had zero problems with my 6700XT and 7800XT running basically 24/7, not even rebooting after a driver update.
Is this exclusive to the 7900s? Also w10 or 11?

Would be good to also report this to AMD directly.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
My RTX 3090 doesn't have this problem.

Happy Season 1 GIF by BET Plus

twilo99

The thing is that I've also had almost zero issues with the drivers for almost two years now running a 6800xt so it must be something to do with the xtx

Allandor

Best solution to AMD buggy GPU drivers is to switch to Nvidia

forums way GIF
Nah...
Already had the same problems with my Nvidia GPU.
Those problems are not manufacturer exclusive. That sometimes happen in Windows in some constellations.
E.g. I have still the problem that the Nvidia driver panel is slow as ... well don't know what to compare it to. If I open a drop-down in the panel (like AA mode) it needs seconds . As far as I found out, the Nvidia control panel always asks the windows search for something and opens the panel if the results are available (activity in Windows search always spikes when I do something like that). I already reinstalled Windows, switched to windows 11, used a new profile, have a new CPU, new memory, ... but the error remains. I guess it has something to do with drivers in my system. Only things I didn't switch so far are the Mainboard and the GPU.

And the resets of the GPU driver, I also know them quite well. Also happens if I undervolt/overclock the GPU to much. Also this is game related as this happens when games crash, which was often resolved with game patches. Well it is also complicated.

Bojji

I didn't have much issues with 5700xt and 6800 when I had them but on some configurations AMD GPUs/drivers just don't want to work properly.

lyan

Nah...
Already had the same problems with my Nvidia GPU.
Those problems are not manufacturer exclusive. That sometimes happen in Windows in some constellations.
E.g. I have still the problem that the Nvidia driver panel is slow as ... well don't know what to compare it to. If I open a drop-down in the panel (like AA mode) it needs seconds . As far as I found out, the Nvidia control panel always asks the windows search for something and opens the panel if the results are available (activity in Windows search always spikes when I do something like that). I already reinstalled Windows, switched to windows 11, used a new profile, have a new CPU, new memory, ... but the error remains. I guess it has something to do with drivers in my system. Only things I didn't switch so far are the Mainboard and the GPU.

And the resets of the GPU driver, I also know them quite well. Also happens if I undervolt/overclock the GPU to much. Also this is game related as this happens when games crash, which was often resolved with game patches. Well it is also complicated.
When you have a problem with a green team GPU it's your problem not Nvidia'/s.

Top Bottom