• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's CEO Dr. Lisa Su to Host a CES 2019 Keynote: 7nm CPUs and GPUs.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13425/amds-ceo-lisa-su-to-host-ces-2019-keynote-7nm-cpus-and-gpus

AMD has announced that its CEO, Dr. Lisa Su, is to hold the stage for one of CES 2019's daily keynotes. The company stated in the press release that Dr. Su will discuss AMD’s plans to bring the world's first 7 nm high-performance CPUs and GPUs to the market.

Dr. Su's presentation will mark the first time that any AMD CEO has presented at an official CES keynote. It's important to note however that Dr. Su's keynote will not be CES's lead-off "prime" keynote like the one competitor Intel held in 2018 – that keynote has not yet been announced – rather Dr. Su will be presenting one of the show's more numerous and varied daily keynotes. These start with Ginni Rometti from IBM on the first day of the show, with AMD to follow the day after. Dr. Su will have other guests on stage in a bid to discuss the latest computing technologies that open up new opportunities when it comes to HPC, gaming, entertainment, and other aspects of life.

magnumpy

wow, AMD making moves! these will compete with Nvidia Geforce RTX series?_?

Last edited:

llien

Not prime keynote so let's be pragmatic here.

wow, AMD making moves! these will compete with Nvidia Geforce RTX series?_?
AMD is likely to focus on mid range cards in 2019, 7nm Navi.

And frankly, given the price of things beyond AMDs reach at the moment (2080/2080Ti) I couldn't care less about high end.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
PS5 here we come. (I mean, obviously she won't explicitly announce they're working on it, but it will be pretty much 'in the air').

magnumpy

Not prime keynote so let's be pragmatic here.

AMD is likely to focus on mid range cards in 2019, 7nm Navi.

And frankly, given the price of things beyond AMDs reach at the moment (2080/2080Ti) I couldn't care less about high end.

denoise is (making assumptions) a ray-tracing feature!

gspat

It'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

I actually hope they don't make any moves to high end cards at all and make the absolute best midrange card possible.

If I was AMD, I'd be turning my back on the PC gaming market, like most gamers did to them, and put their efforts somewhere that will make them money.

It seems all that most gamers want is AMD to make something so that the nvidia cards get a price drop. Heaven forbid they buy AMD.

Why do something to help the competition?

dirthead

Banned
AMD has such a huge opportunity here.

There are going to be variable refresh OLEDs coming out in 2019 that use HDMI 2.1. Nvidia's hung up on crappy G-Sync and will drag its feet on HDMI 2.1.

All AMD has to do is come out with something that will have acceptable performance and they'll be the only game in town for the best gaming displays on the planet. Don't fuck it up, AMD. This is a rare opportunity. Even though I've bought only Nvidia cards for like 20 years, I will jump ship instantly if they can just deliver here.

Ascend

There are going to be variable refresh OLEDs coming out in 2019 that use HDMI 2.1. Nvidia's hung up on crappy G-Sync and will drag its feet on HDMI 2.1.

All AMD has to do is come out with something that will have acceptable performance and they'll be the only game in town for the best gaming displays on the planet. Don't fuck it up, AMD. This is a rare opportunity. Even though I've bought only Nvidia cards for like 20 years, I will jump ship instantly if they can just deliver here.
Indeed. But the masses will buy nVidia anyway, even if AMD delivers. That has been shown multiple times. Can it be different this time? Sure... But I don't think it's likely to be different.

Dontero

Banned
I don't see how this has anything to do with PS5. Yes PS5 will be on 7nm from AMD but they will not discuss ps5 there at all.

PS5 will be on E3 or with separate show shortly before to focus on ps5 games on e3 while release date will be winter 2019.

LordOfChaos

denoise is (making assumptions) a ray-tracing feature!

God I hope the 9th gen doesn't miss out on ray tracing acceleration.

Not expecting whole scene ray traced games out of next gen or anything, but the RTX kind of add-on benefits, like Physx or Gameworks were.

Last edited:
AMD has an opportunity to severely undercut the 2080ti on price

Not with the rumored 680 card which is just 10% faster than the 580. AMD has a long ways to go to be able to go toe to toe with the high end cards. I hope they do because NVidias pricing is ridiculous.

Azzurri

I might wanna buy some stock in AMD right now. I could see the announcement boost their stock quite a good bit.

LordOfChaos

I might wanna buy some stock in AMD right now. I could see the announcement boost their stock quite a good bit.

Keep in mind AMDs price to earnings is still 92.35, and Lisa Su recently provided guidance that they don't expect much price rise as a lot is already priced-in. Take that as you will, though swinging AMD stock is indeed hella fun.

Azzurri

Keep in mind AMDs price to earnings is still 92.35, and Lisa Su recently provided guidance that they don't expect much price rise as a lot is already priced-in. Take that as you will, though swinging AMD stock is indeed hella fun.

Yea, bought some stock in a cannabis company instead lmao

baguetteness

Neo Member
I kind of feel that raytracing will be held back both with business decisions and consumers opinions. Nvidia it's really pushing it forward, while AMD prefers to stay away for now and focus on the current market.

dirthead

Banned
I kind of feel that raytracing will be held back both with business decisions and consumers opinions. Nvidia it's really pushing it forward, while AMD prefers to stay away for now and focus on the current market.

The problem with ray tracing is that you can mostly fake lighting and it looks good enough. There isn't a really compelling use case for it yet. You'd have to make a horror or puzzle game with the whole thing designed around having perfect reflections and lighting as part of the gameplay for it to really be justifiable.

It's pretty overrated. There are still really huge unsolved problems with graphics that should be higher priority than ray tracing. How about fixing persistence without compromises? Something that will actually have value to thousands of existing programs? The sad thing is that the vast majority of consumers don't even have a setup capable of playing 8-bit NES games properly due to input lag and motion blur. But we've got gimmicky crap like HDR and ray tracing (that turns into a blurry mess the microsecond the screen shifts one pixel).

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://seekingalpha.com/article/42...d-annual-credit-suisse-technology?part=single

John Pitzer

The gaming console business has been a really important part of your growth story and free cash flow story. For me it's probably one of the harder parts of your business to try to model especially because we're getting a little bit long in the tooth of the current generation of consoles. How should we think about that market in 2019? And in general how should we think about seasonality of your business?

Lisa Su

Yes. That's good because I do agree that consoles have been a very important piece of our business. It's a large piece of our business, but it is also hard to model. So the way I would look at it is, we will be in the seventh year of the cycle as we go through 2019. So consoles will be down for us and they should be down sort of double digits and that's the way to think about it from a unit and revenue standpoint. However, when I take a step back and look at the semi-custom model for us not commenting on any specific customer, we see beyond 2019 that the semi-custom business returns to growth and actually significant growth for us. And I view it as a good business. It's a good business. It's a sticky business. It's really nice to have a design win that lasts seven years and I think it's been good for us. But from a modeling standpoint and a seasonality standpoint, we certainly see that 2019 will be down. And in general the first half of the year is lower than the second half of the year. And so we'll have to deal with that seasonality.

John Pitzer

Any insights you can give us on new platforms and timing?

Lisa Su

We feel very good about our semi customers.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Crappy G-sync? 🤣

TLZ

Banned
You know what this implies, ladies and gentlemen...

giphy.gif

Boss Mog

Hopefully the PS5 chip is 7nm based on Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000 series) with Navi GPU tech. That's the dream right there.

OverIt

I wonder if NVidia is doing something similar. Their RTX series cards are relatively garbage for their prices.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I think we'll see the Zen 2 cpus. I really want to replace my 6700K but can't justify the 9900K. I could get a 2700X right now but I can hold off for the "3700X".

as for GPUs i'm quite happy with my 2080 for now but I would LOVE AMD to give Nvidia some competition for their 1080 Ti/2080/2080 Ti cards. the 500-series and Vega 56/64 have the 1050-1080 covered pretty much. not only in terms of performance but cost. the prices Nvidia are charging for RTX is crazy.

i think nvidia rushed out Turing cards and will release new 7nm cards if AMD bring the heat.

Last edited:

McHuj

I think we'll see the Zen 2 cpus. I really want to replace my 6700K but can't justify the 9900K. I could get a 2700X right now but I can hold off for the "3700X".

as for GPUs i'm quite happy with my 2080 for now but I would LOVE AMD to give Nvidia some competition for their 1080 Ti/2080/2080 Ti cards. the 500-series and Vega 56/64 have the 1050-1080 covered pretty much. not only in terms of performance but cost. the prices Nvidia are charging for RTX is crazy.

i think nvidia rushed out Turing cards and will release new 7nm cards if AMD bring the heat.

I’m in the same boat, I was going to replace my 6700k, but the 9900k was just to damn expensive to justify as I’m stuck with a z170 motherboard. I really hate Intels socket shenanigans.

Unfortunately the 2700x didn’t provide the increase I was hoping to get in single threaded perf so I’m hoping the 3700x does.

ZywyPL

Banned
As much as 7nm process itself sounds very promising, I'm not really that much excited TBH - AMD's both CPU and GPU architectures are know for not profiting much from die shrinking - gains in the clock speeds are marginal, the core count on the GPU side hasn't move at all since 28nm Fury X, and on top of everything - newer, lower process nodes cost A LOT, so I don't expect much (if any) savings on the production cost side, read: the final price.

Zen 2 however from all the info released so far shapes up to finally be a proper Intel competitor - 13% IPC increase, backed up with 4,5Ghz clock (potentialy even more with OC), seperate controller for better communication between the cores and memory, it all really looks like AMD is going to really fix Ryzen biggest and only issue - the single core performance. But then again - there were tons of promises and hopes in the past half a decade or so that didn't worked out in the end, so again - I'm not putting my expectation high, as always the first benchmarks of the final product will show if/what it's worth.

Navi on the other hand - like mentioned before, 28nm Fury X already offered more cores that any other NV GPU to date except Titan V and 2080Ti, almost 9TFops nearly 3 years ago, and we all know how the real performance turned out to be. Vega 64, repeat from the history - 14nm, almost 13TF, even more and better HBM2 memory, tons of performance optimization-oriented features (from which none of them actually worked), and again - real world performance waaay below expectations. And now we have Navi and 7nm Vega waiting around the corner, and the potential leaks aren't promising, to say the least - based on the rumors of 7nm Vega, the lowered process node will indeed allow to pack up to 50% more cores, 6144 to be exact, so way higher than even Titan V, but as mentioned previously - the core count on AMD GCN GPUs doesn't translate well on the actual performance. The numbers say about a whopping 20TF computing power, but again - AMD TFlops are not a good indication of how the cards will actually perform. I mean - at the end of the day it's still Vega, they could as well release a 7nm FX CPUs, but that also wouldn't change much. Navi is supposed to finally be a completely fresh architecture, however leaks say that next-gen consoles will be in fact based on Vega with Navi features (whatever that means), and I read rumors quite recently that, sadly, Navi won't be a new architecture at all, instead, it will borrow tons of solutions from the GCN architecture, not to say that it's still gonna be GCN at it's core, because of one, sole reason - they already have drivers ready for GCN. Which makes sense obviously, but I think everyone will agree that AMD needs to completely cut-off from the previous architecture and start from scratch, just as they did with Zen. But if all those rumors turn out to be indeed true, then 7nm process will be almost irrelevant IMO, I mean - you can put a 1000hp engine into Fiat Panda, but it will never perform equally good as Bugatti Veyon, it simply doesn't have the base to do so. So as always - benchmarks will show how much of the (expected) PR talk from this event translates into real-world performance.

Exentryk

The tease...

Q: Can you give us a sneak peek of what you will be discussing during your CES 2019 keynote?
"I am honored to be giving a keynote at CES this year. This is a major milestone for AMD, and I am really looking forward to sharing the story of some of our newest technologies and how they are driving tremendous opportunities and impact on the world around us.​
"I will be joined by some very special guests on stage from different industries that we work with to share their passion around high-performance technologies and give a few examples of how deep partnerships can really accelerate the pace of innovation in the industry. Last but certainly not least, we will be making some exciting announcements about our next-generation products. That’s all I can share for now – you’ll have to join us on January 9 for the full story!"​

dirthead

Banned
I really hope they go balls deep in HDMI 2.1. It's really the only true competitive advantage they can leverage over Nvidia.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I will be joined by some very special guests on stage from different industries that we work with to share their passion around high-performance technologies and give a few examples of how deep partnerships can really accelerate the pace of innovation in the industry.

Interesting, since they partnered with Sony to create Navi.

Exentryk

I really hope they go balls deep in HDMI 2.1. It's really the only true competitive advantage they can leverage over Nvidia.
Yeah, HDMI 2.1 needs to hurry up and release on new products. Been waiting to buy a new TV for ages! I will 100% be buying a HDMI 2.1 card next, so if AMD can have it in a decently competitive card, I'll be all over it.

dirthead

Banned
Yeah, HDMI 2.1 needs to hurry up and release on new products. Been waiting to buy a new TV for ages! I will 100% be buying a HDMI 2.1 card next, so if AMD can have it in a decently competitive card, I'll be all over it.

And Nvidia's buggy ass HDMI audio implementation is pissing me off so much I'm more than ready to jump ship. The dumb thing keeps dropping from surround to stereo.

Top Bottom