• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Dad Fans: Favourite Roger persona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
178f7e25c28a32dee90eb7b840e91d36.jpg

Thread title pretty much speaks for itself!

To those who don't watch American Dad, as something of the show's breakout character...Roger is an extraterrestrial alien who lives in the Smith family's attic where he's hiding out from the CIA. To help alleviate the tedium of being cooped up all day, Roger adopts various "personas", endlessly elaborate alter-ego's of his own creation who all, inexplicably, seem to have their own individual careers and social lives outside of the house.

Roger-personas.jpg

Personally speaking, my favourite Roger persona has to be Professor Jordan Edelstein by a country mile.

Always liked the Armenian hitman who murdered Constance Mathers, and Valik, Jeannie Gold's muscle.

The sassy overweight black woman is a hoot. "You go ahead without me. I got term papers to grade" cracks me up every time.

jrush64

Banned
Always liked the Armenian hitman who murdered Constance Mathers, and Valik, Jeannie Gold's muscle.

The sassy overweight black woman is a hoot. "You go ahead without me. I got term papers to grade" cracks me up every time.

Lol yeah this. I loved the back and forth with Haley

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I mean, Ricky Spanish is the clear answer, but I'm partial to the overweight black lady he plays once in a while. When he's talking about the buttered rolls just slays me. Wish I could remember the specific episode...

However, this is the best Roger moment in the entire series. Anytime I don't feel like doing something around the house this is my go-to reply.

G0523

Oh God, you want me to choose just one?! This is really hard...

I'm gonna go with Jeannie Gold. She's a survivor!

Roger-Jeannie-Gold-ad.gif

Ogodei

Roy Rogers McFreely, definitely. Or maybe i'm just remembering those "Cilantro" songs from that episode and conflating them with that persona being that funny.

Legman in the 100th episode was funny, but he wasn't really Legman, it was the Turkish amphetamines talking.

Jeanie Gold Wedding Planner
Genevieve Vavance News Reporter
Ricky Spanish

Roger is such an underrated cartoon character, he totally makes the show. What they've done with Roger is kind of brilliant, it allows them to inject what is essentially a new character into every episode. I love how in one of the more recent seasons Roger says there is at least one persona that everyone in the family can't see through lol.

This one is great too. I love Roger's reaction when they show up and he realizes it's him.

That whole sequence had me near tears.

The horse whispering what Stan did to him... the horse whisperer's shocked reaction... Roger's exaggeratedly slow eye judgement of Stan... truly one of TV's finest moments LOL

178f7e25c28a32dee90eb7b840e91d36.jpg

Personally speaking, my favourite Roger persona has to be Professor Jordan Edelstein by a country mile.

Thanks for the awesome thread, but I don't agree with your answer since the (amazing) humor that comes from this persona is the result of Roger breaking character. So it's not the character that's amazing, it's the fact that he wasn't allowed to play him the way he wanted to, and his reaction to that.

Jeannie Gold on the other hand:

EDIT: Damn it!

There's so many great ones, Ricky Spanish is what immediately came to mind though.

Dr. Penguin is also pretty amazing. And the Tender Vigilante. Roy Rogers McFreely was top tier too. And of course there's Sidney Huffman. So many...

SpaceWolf

Banned
Thanks for the awesome thread, but I don't agree with your answer since the (amazing) humor that comes from this persona is the result of Roger breaking character. So it's not the character that's amazing, it's the fact that he wasn't allowed to play him the way he wanted to, and his reaction to that.

"Tell them about how you killed our baby, Amanda"

SpaceWolf

Banned
Yep, hence my "amazing humor" comment. The build up with him cleaning the glasses is what makes it.

My point was that my favorite part of the gag is Roger delivering something incredibly dark in-character, as a part of the persona he's constructed, so to my mind, it still fits the intention of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom