• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Cystm

Harry Shipp on Twitter:

aindxyh.png
vO1aP4I.png

This club.

Shipp gets dumped from the Fire now Oba is out of Seattle. My two teams I try to follow in MLS. Well fuck it I need to be all in for when Minnesota joins the league anyways. Come on you Loons....

Meier

Oba is probably going to get a salary of 3x what Seattle was paying him. The Chinese clubs are giving out unbelievable salaries. They probably were effectively unable to hold onto him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oba is probably going to get a salary of 3x what Seattle was paying him. The Chinese clubs are giving out unbelievable salaries. They probably were effectively unable to hold onto him.

Good on him for getting paid, but there goes my hopes of seeing a Deuce - Oba - Morris attacking line up top.

I'm just glad we aren't making any crazy changes, outside the whole Miazga thing.

ngower

Lee is probably gonna get a callup, especially after this camp.

It will coincide with that stretch where we can't even buy a win

Can't even buy a....Nguyen? YEEAHHHHHHHHHHH! (I'm sorry).

But I'm all for Lee getting a CA callup when the break is on (no way in hell the US is making it very far in that tournament the way we've been playing). Hopefully Neumann will be solidifying himself as a capable CAM to replace Lee for a few games if needed.

Also, as much as I hate the Red Bulls, I dig these little news items (stadium naming rights, Metro badge) that seem like Red Bull are on their way out.

Cystm

Have been told by an impeccable source that the Qataris have taken ownership of David Beckham's MLS team. #Beckham will remain face of club

https://twitter.com/WilliamsBob75/st...77211090784257

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm told that 2/3 of 46-member #MLS Board of Governors must approve any change in majority ownership of David Beckham's MLS team.
— Jeff Carlisle (@JeffreyCarlisle) February 15, 2016

David Beckham’s Miami club in talks on equity-stake sale to Paris Saint-Germain

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
A-League?

From the looks of it they just terminated his contract out of the blue, so he's got no idea where he's going next.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35585379

Cahill only signed a new deal with the Chinese Super League club in November and said his exit was "heartbreaking".

The Australian, 36, said he is not part of new coach Gregorio Manzano's plans.

"This is very sad especially after what I feel I have helped to build in Shanghai Shenhua on and off the park," he said.

Clubs in the Chinese Super League have spent more than £200m in their current transfer window, which runs until 26 February, ahead of their new season starting next month.

Major deals include Jiangsu Suning spending more than £63m on midfielders Alex Teixeira and Ramires and Jackson Martinez's £31m move to Guangzhou Evergrande from Atletico Madrid.

Cahill, who has also played for Millwall and New York Red Bulls in Major League Soccer, posted on his Instagram: "Just thinking about saying goodbye to my team-mates and especially the amazing fans is heartbreaking.

"I will always think about what could have been for us as a club in 2016."

Cahill has scored 45 goals in 88 games for Australia.

Maybe Seattle should pick him up for a season or two to replace Oba.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...united-2017-atlanta-st-louis-sacramento-miami

While Minnesota in penciled in for next year, Atlanta United FC’s entry is inked. And that apparently has caused some consternation among those who believe it might look strange to add two Uniteds in the same season or operate a league with three. The question of dibs (assuming D.C. didn’t exhaust the permissible number of Uniteds) is a complicated one.

Atlanta was confirmed as an MLS market in April 2014, nearly a year before Minnesota. But the latter began using ‘United’ in early 2013 and arguably has a stronger claim on the name. Owner Bill McGuire, who rescued the club in late 2012, spent more than 15 years running healthcare giant UnitedHealth and hoped his reborn, rebranded team would unify fans from the Twin Cities who’d cheered for the Stars, Thunder and Kicks. Atlanta had a clean slate and seemed to pull the name out of thin air. Its connection to one of soccer’s most common monikers is more tenuous.

“The word ‘United’ has long been associated with the beautiful game around the world,” AUFC president Darren Eales said upon the unveiling. “It has particular resonance for Atlanta, as a transport hub in the Southeast, as a multi-cultural, international city and as a club committed to community.”

Whether that’s sufficient isn’t the issue. In MLS’s eyes, Atlanta United was part of the league first and as one source said, “[Owner] Arthur Blank is very good at persuading people.”

Atlanta pls

Never really loved the United in Minnesota's name since it's so played but at least it makes sense with the Twin Cities and the stadium being built at Midway which is between the two, also the name United honors the Kicks and Stars and other former Minnesota clubs. Atlanta came upon United from some bullshit fan survey with no real connection to the team. I don't mind Minnesota losing United but if the name is awarded to ATL just so Garber can suck Arthur Blank's dick it sours me to the whole thing.

Top Bottom