• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 6 | We're up all night to get salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilau

Gold Member

3dDoge.gif

Fox Mulder

48 is a low quantity if true because he said they had already received quite a few phone calls regarding the amiibos..I figured I would call when they open just to make sure there is even a point in going, I dont want to take the bus just to find out they have none in stock..oh and they dont hold any he already told me that, after the whole number thing the conversation was pretty much over, he hung up..before the conversation went sour he said the "plenty" amount does not include pre orders so I guess that is good

48 isnt much considering ToysRUs isnt as widespread as a target or best buy, and I doubt they'll get restocked when they run out.

Baby steps I guess.

Shauni

I've probably said this before, but it's kind of amazing to me how many people have let the amiibo experience "break" them or whatever and just outright stopped trying to get figures. Maybe it's just a hardcore collector mentality or something that I don't get, but no way I'd stop trying to get the figures I want just because of past frustrations.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I've probably said this before, but it's kind of amazing to me how many people have let the amiibo experience "break" them or whatever and just outright stopped trying to get figures. Maybe it's just a hardcore collector mentality or something that I don't get, but no way I'd stop trying to get the figures I want just because of past frustrations.

I can understand the frustration and wanting out of the game, especially when you have to be up at 2 AM for store exclusive preorders that sell out in seconds. Not to mention waiting in a retail store for hours for the only shot at a Ness as GameStop comes crashing down nationwide.

Personally I'm in it for all of Smash and potentially everything ever. Even if I don't buy all they new amiibo, I'm here for this awesome community we've made. :)

Shauni

I can understand the frustration and wanting out of the game, especially when you have to be up at 2 AM for store exclusive preorders that sell out in seconds. Not to mention waiting in a retail store for hours for the only shot at a Ness as GameStop comes crashing down nationwide.

Personally I'm in it for all of Smash and potentially everything ever. Even if I don't buy all they new amiibo, I'm here for this awesome community we've made. :)

I understand it, kind of. But even if I had had no luck and gotten none of the rare figures I've managed to get, I'd still try to get Ganondorf next wave, for instance. Ain't nothing going to stop me from trying to get what I want.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I understand it, kind of. But even if I had had no luck and gotten none of the rare figures I've managed to get, I'd still try to get Ganondorf next wave, for instance. Ain't nothing going to stop me from trying to get what I want.

Some people only wanted their favorite characters, those of which ended up being store exclusive or sold out already. Normal collectors aren't willing to put up with the insanity that serious figure collectors deal with, like preorders selling out in seconds. I've already been living that life with AmiAmi and companies like Hasbro.

I'm here to help make this the next best OT

aw yiss

rjinaz

Haven't you said a couple times now you have never been canceled on and have been able to get the amiibo you want without much trouble?

That's probably why. Some people have all the luck.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't you said a couple times now you have never been canceled on and have been able to get the amiibo you want without much trouble?

It's the amiibo cancellation that's sweeping the nation!

LostAnkh

AmiiboGAF, what is your MO on friday and how will you carry it out?

Mine requires Lucina, Robin, and Inkling Girl. And I will be there 3 hours early with some coffee and a 3DS to kill some time.

Shauni

Yeah, I have been lucky, not denying that or anything, but as I said in that post, even if I hadn't, I'd still try to get the figures I'd want. Like I'd still try to get Ganondorf in Wave 5 (or 6 or whatever) I don't know, maybe I have an indomitable will of steel or something, I've never been checked for it or anything.

rjinaz

Yeah, I have been lucky, not denying that or anything, but as I said in that post, even if I hadn't, I'd still try to get the figures I'd want. Like I'd still try to get Ganondorf in Wave 5 (or 6 or whatever) I don't know, maybe I have an indomitable will of steel or something, I've never been checked for it or anything.

No I'm just saying you don't understand it because you can't understand it. Everybody has a breaking point.

Yes there are a couple of amiibo I would try to get regardless even if I decided to walk away more or less like Duck Hunt Dog and Rob. But I'd do it by importing or buying from a resller, screw playing the US game which is pretty much where I'm at for future waves.

Kilau

Gold Member

Mine requires Lucina, Robin, and Inkling Girl. And I will be there 3 hours early with some coffee and a 3DS to kill some time.

I'll be on LINE and the thread spamming away and watching for online orders. Maybe i'll get to TRU for Greninja if I can find out the stock situation. Everything else is ordered.

Crono27

i only need silver mario since i have the rest preordered. going to probably get to toysrus a hour early cause i'll also be picking up splatoon

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

I just need Silver Mario, so I'll be going to Target. I'm the best person to wait in line with because I bring Tetris DS and a few other multiplayer games.

rjinaz

I'll be on my pc hoping for the best. Might have to make some trades for Ness and Greninja because I'm not driving 30 miles to the nearest store or waiting in lines all morning.

My body may break but don't try to keep my soul down, bro.

I guess you're better than everybody else because you keep your cool in a hypothetical situation when others wouldn't. Cool.

People are frustrated right now. Your comments are kind of coming across as "better than thou" or maybe I'm just cranky because of amiibo. Could be that.

Fox Mulder

Months of frustrating bullshit with little relief in sight wears on people.

Ness being exclusive was a big fuck you from Nintendo really. Gamestop botching preorders was just a nice bonus. I'm still waiting to see if gamestop delays some people like with shulk and dedede.

I hope more and more people keep giving up. Leaves more for us AMIIBO FANATICS!!!

LostAnkh

I'll be on LINE and the thread spamming away and watching for online orders. Maybe i'll get to TRU for Greninja if I can find out the stock situation. Everything else is ordered.
It's do or die for me, I'm getting the rest from retail stores

I just need Silver Mario, so I'll be going to Target. I'm the best person to wait in line with because I bring Tetris DS and a few other multiplayer games.
i only need silver mario since i have the rest preordered. going to probably get to toysrus a hour early cause i'll also be picking up splatoon
Crono, you have a Diggeh inside of you.

I'll be on my pc hoping for the best. Might have to make some trades for Ness and Greninja because I'm not driving 30 miles to the nearest store or waiting in lines all morning.
I'll be on my phone with LINE, so I'll have all the opportunities to get the rest I want. It's also convenient for me to be there because I work close to the Target I'm going to.

bigkrev

They aren't really detailed, they are pretty small, and they really don't do anything in the games they work with. At some point, you just realize that it's not worth the bullshit- There are way better Nintendo figures being made that are so much less of a hassle to collect.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
They aren't really detailed, they are pretty small, and they really don't do anything in the games they work with. At some point, you just realize that it's not worth the bullshit- There are way better Nintendo figures being made that are so much less of a hassle to collect.

Like dem Figmas and Figuarts.

kirby_fox

Banned

I think it's because a lot of people shrugged it off when it launched or thought "there'll be plenty of stock to buy them up as time goes on" and so they didn't buy in. Then...reality set in. How much shit did we see so far?

- No restock of rares when some stores never got any or at best got 1 figure in (Marth particularly)
- Cancellations again and again from stores every single wave, both real and accidental
- Exclusives becoming a thing, and being impossible to find if you didn't preorder the few they sent to each store (or for some, stand in line for 3+ hours to get)
- No limits on how many you could buy, so stores getting 70 in for one guy and not being able to do anything about it for customers that were waiting
- An entire internal network for a consumer business that has seen massive traffic before for preorders crashing because of massive traffic for a preorder- leaving some people with nothing after waiting hours and hours to get an order in
- Random times for orders online that last 30 minutes at best and have yet to fight the auto-buying methods of scalpers (to my knowledge, I just learned about those recently)
- And mostly having to stand in line for hours with hopes of getting a toy, only to get turned away

I can completely understand why people would walk away from this. It's a consumer product we should all be able to walk in and buy, and it's continued to get worse.

First we get shunned to community and now this.

If you're not careful we'll get shunned to another forum...

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I got them all so far don't plan on stopping. Started since the begining will get all the amiibos till the end! Which i hope it never ends [= Also who wouldn't want diggeh inside of them o wait....

CFOXbhN.png

Kilau

Gold Member
I got them all so far don't plan on stopping. Started since the begining will get all the amiibos till the end! Which i hope it never ends [= Also who wouldn't want diggeh inside of them o wait....

tumblr_inline_nlj96pwKNA1qg6701.gif

Have you been to "Diggeh's Dark Chat" on AmiiboGAF LINE group?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ghost Scalpers in BestBuy
To the tune of "Ghost Riders in the Sky" by Johnny Cash.

An old gamer went ridin out one dark and windy day
Upon a game store he rested as he went along his way
When all at once a mighty herd of fat neckbeards he saw
Plowin through the ragged shelves to the register they claw

Their shirts printed with fire and their glasses made of steel
Their beards were black and shiny and their hot breath he could feel
A bolt of fear went through him as they thundered through BestBuy
For he saw the scalpers comin hard and he heard their mournful cries

Amiibo-i ohhh ohh ohh
Amiibo-i aye ye ye

Their faces thick, their eyes were blurred
Their shirts all soaked with sweat
He's ridin hard to catch that Marth
But he aint caught em yet
Cause they went and camped forever in that tent outside BestBuy
Their noses snortin mucus as they ride on hear their cries

As the scalers loped on by him he heard one call his name
"If you wanna save your soul from hell a-ridin on our range
Then gamer change your ways today or with us you will ride
Tryin to catch the amiibo herd across these endless BestBuys"

Amiibo-i ohhh ohh ohh
Amiibo-i aye ye ye

Hatchtag

Banned

Go to Target. Pick up Splatoon + Squirt Gun, Strategy Guide, Inkling Amiibo set, Jigglypuff, Robin, and Lucina. (I'm fairly confident I'll be able to get all of them.
Go to Gamestop if neccessary to pick up any remainders + try for Ness.
Go to the Toys R Us a city over (because I have shame and a coworker has a second job at the one in my city and would see me) to try for Greninja.

If there's reports of rarer reprints coming in that day, I'll try to get the reprints too. Might also get Charizard if I get both Jigglypuff and Greninja, because I might as well at that point.

man....I am going to spend my whole paycheck on colored plastic lumps.

//ARCANUM

Do you have one of those step things? I've been tempted to get this myself the few times I've been to Ikea because I'm running out of room- I'm just afraid it won't look as nice without a step display in it.

Don't have a step display, but that would probably be the way to go.

Shauni

I guess you're better than everybody else because you keep your cool in a hypothetical situation when others wouldn't. Cool.

Woah, sorry, didn't realize this was a fun wasn't allowed conversation. I'll make sure to remember that in any more conversations with you, damn.

People are frustrated right now. Your comments are kind of coming across as "better than thou" or maybe I'm just cranky because of amiibo. Could be that.

Really didn't mean it that way or anything. I'm not condemning anyone for dropping out, just saying I wouldn't and find it surprising that people would if they still actually wanted figures that haven't been released. I mean, I don't know, sorry I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom