• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: The Bunker Reviews Thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

u0kBINF.jpg

yGEK6K4.jpg

adamsapple

IGN
8 / 10.0
Amnesia: The Bunker is a smaller, more self-contained episode in the groundbreaking horror franchise that shows Frictional still has some chilling, new tricks up their sleeves.

Eurogamer
Recommended
Amnesia: The Bunker corrects the missteps of its predecessors and adds in a sense of invention, creating a truly unsettling adventure.

PC Gamer
93 / 100
Amnesia: The Bunker is an essential horror game and an inspired next step for the series.

GamesRadar+
Amnesia: The Bunker is a bold new direction for the series, and it chiefly pays off with brilliant scares and disempowerment of the player. The bottlenecked level design can be frustrating though, as can the nature of do-overs with the beast hot on your heels.

GameSpot
8 / 10
Frictional Games reinvigorates the series that made it famous with its scariest game in years.

Hobby Consolas
78 / 100
The craftmen of Frictional Games show again how well they know the horror genre. This might not be the most ground breaking game, but it offers a noteworthy survival experience.

Shacknews
6 / 10
There are lots of ideas in Amnesia: The Bunker that are truly intriguing. I love the World War 1 setting as a backdrop for a horror story, especially the way it intersects with technology of the era. But the way gameplay elements are introduced as friction meant to induce tension simply feel overtuned. I often felt like I was fighting the game just to get around, which was frustrating in a software kind of way rather than an atmospheric enhancement. I wasn’t scared because I was too busy squinting or yanking on the flashlight’s pull cord just so I could pull on doors and latches. No amount of spooky ambiance in the background could bring me back into the experience.

Ar¢tos

The first game gave me a huge headache and nearly made me vomit (camera + "dizziness" parts that made the camera wobble like mad), but I was loving it.
I'm not sure I have the courage to try another Amnesia.

I enjoyed the first two games, but I think I'm past having to walk around in games in almost complete darkness. Sure it's spooky, but I need to be able to see. The flashlight looks basically useless.

Fools idol

Banned
it's absolutely smack bang average for the developer which is a good thing.

More of the same good thing is always good.

Mozzarella

Scores are kinda low imo, i expected higher, but that PC gamer review is going to probably make me check it out.
I like the first Amnesia and SOMA but the other games are meh or bad.
I think its going to be a decent game.

Rebirth had the same critic reviews and it was dog shit but at least it had some story/lore behind it and decent lenght. This is a 3- 4 hours horror game because it has "replayability" lmao, who cares about a story-focused horror game about replayability? what the fuck were these devs smoking?... I'll wait until its <10 bucks cuz I want it on steam, dont care for gamepass

Downloaded the demo and it's definitely too spoopy for me. Wandering in pitch black dark corridors while something growls behind the walls? Nope.
And what the fuck is wrong with the fps options? I can choose 15 fps but can't pick anything higher than 60??

Flabagast

I bought it to support Frictional because SOMA is the best narrative in the medium ever and they announced their next will be a spiritual successor, but it does not look too hot not sure I will play it soon

HL3.exe

I love their games but engine they use is fucking ancient at this point, FXAA only AA method in 2023??! OpenGL and not Vulcan? WTF?

60FPS limit?!?!
True, it's basically still the same tech base from 2006 (first Penumbra tech demo). I think they still use it because if their exquisite physics implementation. Great feel of weight, barely any glitchy collision problems.

That way harder to get 'right' then scrapping it just to build a new render and chasing new shader or RT trends that are vapid at best. I would however love if they port the whole thing to Vulkan though, just to get CPU/GPU utilization up (but that's surly easier said then done, without any meaningful benefits)

Last edited:

adamsapple

The game is now available on game pass PC/Console.

Knee deep in Street Fighter VI right now but will check it out in a couple of days.

Played an hour, scared, saw the thing, died. Didn't save. I think I am at the beginning again, lol. The inventory system is new, yes, but at the moment not really a fan of it. Will continue when it's more dark outside.

Sorne

Played for 30-45 minutes. Suuuuper good atmosphere, and very cool intro. Excited to keep going deeper into this bunker!

I played it for about an hour, and it's certainly spooky. Apparently, it takes most folks around 3 hours to beat the whole thing?

It nails the feeling of things going from bad to worse. For example, finding the wheel you need to turn to get where you need to go, only for it to disintegrate in your hands. I have enough of everything going wrong at my job, so I might just watch a playthrough on YouTube because I want to know Henri's whole deal.

Bartski

Gold Member
Just bumping fresh off credits to spread the word. Took me 6,5 hrs on medium and I really liked it A LOT!

It's not the new SOMA but it definitely Frictionals return to form, much less so in story but gameplay wise it's easily their best game to date.

Does a geat job of holding tension and just being really fucking chillng without in your face gore and cheap jump scare tactics.

Give it a chance if you hated Rebirth and thank me later, Imo must play if you liked previous Amnesia games.

Just bumping fresh off credits to spread the word. Took me 6,5 hrs on medium and I really liked it A LOT!

It's not the new SOMA but it definitely Frictionals return to form, much less so in story but gameplay wise it's easily their best game to date.

Does a geat job of holding tension and just being really fucking chillng without in your face gore and cheap jump scare tactics.

Give it a chance if you hated Rebirth and thank me later, Imo must play if you liked previous Amnesia games.
This is how I feel. SOMA is still their best writing by far, but the Bunker is easily the best gameplay. Honestly it’s one of my favorite survival horror games I’ve played. Also felt like the length was perfect for what it is.

I know they are working on another “philosophical” game in the vein of SOMA. Here’s hoping some of the design/systems of the Bunker make it in or at least design/systems of a similar quality.

Need to read these reviews later because I'm really hoping they finally did something interesting with their gameplay that doesn't involve baiting shitty AI until it hopefully doesn't OHKO you while you crouch behind some random object.

Need to read these reviews later because I'm really hoping they finally did something interesting with their gameplay that doesn't involve baiting shitty AI until it hopefully doesn't OHKO you while you crouch behind some random object.
You still hide from the monster a lot and can get OHKO’d, but there’s a lot more systems at play this time, including guns and grenades, a central generator that needs to be filled with gas, and other fun stuff like if you get injured enough you leave trails of blood for things to follow. Plus, no more obnoxious insanity mechanic.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I got this for under 20 on PSN on a Halloween sale, dark decent was great, I warmed up to machine for pigs.

Top Bottom