• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'An All-Male Party Makes Final Fantasy XV 'More Approachable', Says Director

Falk

that puzzling face
Yes.

Also, the translation/language barrier probably isn't helping.

Whenever I read one of those comments it feels like those weird translated-from-japanese phrases that is quite hard to put your finger on. So here the fact that it's on a topic that can quickly become sensitive isn't helping.

I guess what they're trying to say every time is the obvious thing "we wanted to tell a story about 4 guys so we couldn't have 3 guys and 2 girls because else it's not a story about 4 guys", which I guess makes sense.

I think we need an entire 50 page thread about how a Japanese person said "please be nice to me" instead of "hello" like all the normal white people do.

Sheroking

As deeply dumb as the statement is, I just want to point out this is a game series that has also had an all-female lead entry.

Mesoian

FFXV-Chara-Descript_Ignis.jpg

Approachable.

If anything this douchebag "let's get in our bad ass convertible and drive around eating fast food" vibe, while wearing the Anime equivalent of Affliction T Shirts is completely turning me off to the game all together.

I see no problems here. The british accent ties it all together.

Also, you are complaining about guys who look like bros in a game about guys broing it up across country.

Skilletor

FFXV-Chara-Descript_Ignis.jpg

Approachable.

If anything this douchebag "let's get in our bad ass convertible and drive around eating fast food" vibe, while wearing the Anime equivalent of Affliction T Shirts is completely turning me off to the game all together.

Not going to please everybody with anything.

I think it's an awesome design, and love all four of the main characters.

People talk about lazy game devs. This is the true laziness. A real lack of imagination. It's not uncommon thinking either. There exists stories where an all male cast they allows "boys to be boys" exists. We've all seen them. Am I confident that this story will come in any way close to that? Hell no.
Blame Nomura when he came up with this story 9 years ago.
He wanted to make a bro trip story, that's fine, so im not going to jump down his throat. But man is that a poor choice of words, particularly in today's very sensitive gaming climate.

Tell me about it gaming today is a sensitive topic and yet we want new experiences/trying something dif.. But a 4 male cast wearing black and everybody loses their minds lol

This was originally Versus XIII, too.

Would that female member then sleep in the same tents as the male characters? There would be no references to her being female whatsoever in the interactions between the characters?

Probably she could; probably could be a used as a joke every now and again or they don't even mention it at all, which could be weird, but not a big deal(or that could be the joke like everyone but party finds it weird).

Sometimes I hear some guys describe their female friends as ' One of the guys', although I don't know if they really do act differently around eachother. Nothing is wrong about a group of guys adventuring, if that's how Square wants the game and the story to be.

It's one thing to design a group like that, that's fine and I understand the whole childhood friends thing but you really don't need to make a goof of yourself to the media with oddball justifications and headlines that are just gonna get twisted. This never turns out well even in the most innocuous of circumstances.

Well, with Japanese games in certain circles you often deal with a lot of otaku types who want all female casts for saccharine tones, eyecandy, "cuteness", etc. It's often not a desire for any strong characterization of women as it is for pandering to a fetish. This is not a target for any individual in this thread/board, but it's most def becoming a common thing.

Agree completely.

On the other end of the spectrum you deal with that common sentimentality that women and anything "girly" is weak and inferior and by associating with it in our extremely masculine culture you're at risk of catching "the gay". If you grew up in America at least in a part like I did (Western WA) you should be well versed in how moronic some people can be over shit like that.

This attitude exists, but is pretty rare these days among the target audience for square's games. Final Fantasy has had strong women populating it's casts forever without anyone questioning why say, Tifa was the strongest brawler of FF7.

Square is the last videogame company you could accuse of perpetuating that, especially after the whole XIII saga.

But why?

Are men and women so different? If so, how? If not, then why would it matter?

More diversity I guess. I don't think women and men are treated exactly the same in the FF15 universe, but even if they were it'd at least be difference in outer appearance and voice acting.

It's not a dealbreaker or anything, just a little thing among many that make me feel sceptical about the game.

IcyEyes

This is one of the many reasons why I will skip this game.

... and I really dislike their attitude and look.

Final fantasy need a big cast, I am talking 6-8 characters that are playable. I love that and its sad that we wont see that in this FF game that we have been waiting for so long :(.

I like females in my FF games, but if he doesnt want us to play as one I am fine with that, just dont limit the party to these 4 male characters. Give me some more guys to join my party!

Cartman86

Banned
Male cast = True laziness.

I've seen it all.

I edited my post before I saw your response. Hopefully it clarifies that an all male cast is not inherently bad. The way the interview goes is just standard lazy writer syndrome. Lack of imagination in seeing women (or even men in this case) in any other role.

CLBridges

Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but I had no idea the party make-up for the upcoming FFXV was an issue. Personally I don't care that it's all guys as I played FFX-2 and enjoyed it for what it was. I'm just hoping the full game will be good and tell a decent story.

Alex

Agree completely.

This attitude exists, but is pretty rare these days among the target audience for square's games. Final Fantasy has had strong women populating it's casts forever without anyone questioning why say, Tifa was the strongest brawler of FF7.

Square is the last videogame company you could accuse of perpetuating that, especially after the whole XIII saga.

I agree but I was just addressing his post about why these two attitudes exist in gaming moreso than this game or Square's games in particular.

Irrelevant side story time: oddly enough, our FC (Guild) leader during one of my stints with XIV was absolutely in that category, not horribly, outspokenly so just... when it would ever come up it was so awkward. It was an extremely strange sight given the environment, it also stunted some of the recruitment in our group and caused me to hop ship pretty damn quick.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
As deeply dumb as the statement is, I just want to point out this is a game series that has also had an all-female lead entry.

Which is going to make all the "FFXV developers are sexist!" outcries even more ironic. They made an all female cast FF before a) an all male FF and b) before most game companies even tried to engage a female audience.

Welp, time to stop following FFXV threads.

I wonder what people's reaction would be if Tabata said "because that's what Nomura wanted to do, so I'm keeping it.". At least he would be able to keep that illusion going for a while more =P

Anyway, I don't care, I seriously don't understand people who do, and start talking about the actual game again Tabata, thanks...

DNAbro

Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but I had no idea the party make-up for the upcoming FFXV was an issue. Personally I don't care that it's all guys as I played FFX-2 and enjoyed it for what it was. I'm just hoping the full game will be good and tell a decent story.

After Type-0 I'm very worried. Acting and characters already seem better.

This is one of the many reasons why I will skip this game.

... and I really dislike their attitude and look.

Just imagine, the story turning out to be great, emotional A MASTERPIECE :D

And you skipped this experience because of their designs.....Dont be so superficial. Atleast give this game a chance....Maybe the story will clarify the lack of women in the group and justify it

Final fantasy need a big cast, I am talking 6-8 characters that are playable. I love that and its sad that we wont see that in this FF game that we have been waiting for so long :(.

I like females in my FF games, but if he doesnt want us to play as one I am fine with that, just dont limit the party to these 4 male characters. Give me some more guys to join my party!

I could see maybe guests ala KH for short periods but as far as choosing your party for the entirety of the game nope.

Do you think i will play every game, watch every movie and read every book that makes a bad impression on me just because it could ...eventually turn out good in the end....maybe? This boy group stuff, just doesn't interest me, and i don't need to play 40 hours to be sure of that.

Enjoy the sidelines.

My bros and I will be saving the land! No fist-bumps for you!

IcyEyes

Why does it bother you so much.

I get people like playing a female character or having one in the party, but letting it not play a game is just really silly.

Because they look so dumbass in my eyes and as I said, this is just one of the many reasons.

Skilletor

Just imagine, the story turning out to be great, emotional A MASTERPIECE :D

And you skipped this experience because of their designs.....Dont be so superficial. Atleast give this game a chance....Maybe the story will clarify the lack of women in the group and justify it

I avoid games in which I dislike the art of the characters I'm to control. I love the art and character designs of this game, but understand the won't appeal to everybody. Art isn't some universal thing that's going to appeal to everybody. I just hope the threads don't get filled with shit posts about something that has been the same for at least 9 years.

I think it's fine that they decided to switch it up this way. You usually have a very diverse central cast when it comes to Final Fantasy anyway, so for the creators to go in the opposite direction and design the core four to be a tight-knit group of guys instead of the usual rag-tag clash of personalities does shake things up a bit. And of course, we already got the female equivalent of this years ago in FFX-2.

My issue more than anything is that the characters look like they've walked off the set of a shoot for the latest godawful K-Pop boyband music video. They really do look like a gaggle of trouts, but I'll get over it in time.

Cidd

After playing the Demo, I have to agree with his decision on this. I like the cast so far and I hope he sticks to his vision.

Best character designs since Final Fantasy VIII imo.

Ri'Orius

Using the term "approachable" is a really bad choice as it easily sounds as if it's channeling the notion people don't want to play games with women in the lead group.

An irony of interpreting it that way however is that it seems to be the boy band aesthetic they've got going is likely to make the game very approachable indeed to quite a few women in the FF fanbase.

I think people are misinterpreting the "approachable" adjective. He's not saying that it makes the game more approachable, or that games with women are unapproachable. He's saying it will make the characters more approachable. They'll be more honest, vulnerable, etc. when they're just hanging out with their bros.

Why not just add a female to the cast who's not treated differently by the rest of the group and who isn't subject to any romance angles?

Why not make a game about a humanoid species with no concept of gender at all? Heck, why even make it about humanoids?

Because these are facets of life. Yes, the game is a fantasy, and they could do anything they want. But they think a story about a group of young men going on a bro-ad trip together (while fighting monsters with magic and swords and there's also something about crystals in there) will be a fun story, one worth telling and experiencing.

The further you move away from real life, the harder it is to make the story relatable. Aeris's death was a huge plot point, but was always sullied (perhaps not to everyone, but to some) by the fact that in combat a simple Phoenix Down had been shown to heal much more grievous wounds. And even if you accept that plot deaths were realer, the fact that it's a fantasy means a magical resurrection could be just around the corner.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I will also mention, I think he's wrong about this making it more open to female players, especially with his explanation.

Because this just makes it feel like it's a story that was aimed at the guys and special to them. This is a bro story, you're a girl, you wouldn't understand.

That's the vibe I get from it. I don't think it makes me feel more open/welcome to it. It makes me feel like I'm not "one of the guys". It's a guy thing, you wouldn't understand.

That's what I get from his explanation honestly.

Same. It also makes baseless assumptions about how men and women interact. But given Japan's continued cultural conservatism regarding gender roles, I'm not surprised.

A lot of guys had just as many issues about X-2, outside of the realization that there would be tons of fan service and that YPR walk around like prostitutes, that it was "too girly" or "all girls just dressing up?" etc etc

Never wins.

This seems conflicting he did say it would be more approachable for players, but at the same time said hopes females will enjoy it both. There's something fishy here.

Makes complete sense. I would be accepting of an all-female cast as well if they had a similar sisterhood dynamic.

It already happened. It's called X-2.

Falk

that puzzling face
Same. It also makes baseless assumptions about how men and women interact. But given Japan's continued cultural conservatism regarding gender roles, I'm not surprised.

Wait, wait, wait.

You said 'baseless assumptions' in one sentence, and then 'but that's actually how it is in Japan' in the next.

Wat.

Top Bottom