• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Assortment Of Lesser-Known No Man's Sky Facts (Game Informer)

Sounds like Sean is non-committal of VR support for Oculus or Morpheus for now. Confirms the PC version will more than likely have mods and the game download will be around the 5Gb ballpark.

As we near the end of our month of No Man's Sky coverage, it's time to focus on the smaller details. This game is huge and has many elements that inspire questions about space, gameplay, science, and more. Read on for excerpts from our extensive interviews with Hello Games' managing director Sean Murray about things you may be curious about, but never got a straight answer on.

Link

Orca

This makes me sound weird or a bit arrogant or something, but the production values are maybe a little bit higher than a regular download game. Like a lot of download games might be 2D or overly simplistic. So it’s probably more approaching your triple-A game which would be maybe 5GB or something like that.

He doesn't play many modern AAA games, I take it?

More proof that people avoid NMS info threads like the plague.

It's a shame especially the 'durr look and walk sim' posts flooding NMS threads, but at this point I think people want to see the mechanics at work and some actual detailed write ups instead of generalized/conceptual speak.

Even now, reading what there is in this piece it's a bunch of either 'this game doesn't have it' or 'I'm not sure if we want it or not' indicating the game is still incredibly far out from being anywhere near what people would want to see from it.

He doesn't play many modern AAA games, I take it?

Skyrim is around 5GB. Procedural generation doesn't take up a lot of space and most modern game's size comes from uncompressed audio files and including every damn language on the disc.

Orca

Jinx, you owe me a coke

sQDsulb.png

ShamePain

Banned
Skyrim is around 5GB. Procedural generation doesn't take up a lot of space and most modern game's size comes from uncompressed audio files and including every damn language on the disc.

Yep, videos and audio take up way more space than actual game assets, that's why NaughtyDog isn't doing pre-rendered custscenes on PS4 - they simply wouldn't fit, even on Uncharted 2/3 you could see compression artifacts and the videos weren't even 1080p, yet they took up the whole BD.

Haunted

Felt myself nodding along most of the time.

I think PC games should have Mods and the ability to mod. I almost feel like we need to give them the tools otherwise then they're just going to start making them, tearing apart your game. That's what I have more of a fear of.

We will probably give them some tools to allow them to do some stuff. But we don't want people creating new planets within an existing game. I don't think we can stop them doing that if there's a clever enough programmer, which there always is, there are going to be weird things with the game unofficially. But officially I think we probably want to give people some modding ability just so they leave our game alone. Just give them enough creative outlet to keep them busy rather than them thinking of all of the destructive things that they could do.

I wanted us to use the Earth's periodic table, and I thought that would be quite cool. I thought we'd teach people about science. It turns out people don't know chemistry that well. And it is no help to them. You're like, "What are you trying to do combining those two elements? They will never go together." They're just like, “Eh.”

It's a shame, but whatever way we teach people in school there are certain things that are a total turn-off even though they can be intellectual sci-fi and stuff like that. It's amazing to me that you can have somebody super into sci-fi but school has managed to turn them off actual science. It's like they're back in the schoolroom again and they're like, “Bleh.”

Probably the most interesting bit of info is that he talked about "themed" planets.
Is There Planetary Weather?
We use temperature and humidity to make sure, like, if you see rain, you're probably on a rainy planet and it probably rains there pretty much all the time. We don't want you to go to a planet and see everything that is out there, because that kind of is what Earth is like. You see everything in one planet and there's almost no need to travel.
Which answers quite a few questions if you extrapolate what that might really mean.

Kind of disappointed regarding his comments about having a full earth-like ecosystem.

Was hoping we'd have all kinds of crazy atmospheres. Some uninhabitable. Like raining acid storms or lava planets or some such. Would force players to resource mine other worlds and gather materials so they can make the tools necessary to search those types of planets on foot. Maybe those planets have the most rare resources for your ship/quest?

I love the comments about chemistry and learning science when playing, but for everything cool the guys says, some one thing makes me fall back a little.

No NPCs? Sure. I get that. Kinda pointless...

RedSwirl

So no gas giants and most worlds will be one-biome.

Eh. I guess that's okay. Gas giants are just nice for having systems within star systems. Maybe that doesn't work with how close the planets in NMS will be.

This is looking more and more like Elite 1 with planetary exploration.

Top Bottom