• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Extensive Look At Final Fantasy XV's First Chapter

Guess:
Chapter 0 is you playing as Regis and his friends.

I actually can't think of a better way they could mention that stuff in the game itself.

Chapter 0:
I'm thinking it'll be Regis and co. saving kid Noctis from Marilith (based on Brotherhood).

OmegaDL50

Holy fuck that Cid design...

o_o

For a dude that is normally associated as a engineer or scientist in these games, what wouldn't more fitting in FFXV then someone that looks like a typical car mechanic.

The design might look goofy to some, but it's not any worse then eccentric old man Cid from FF3, 4, and 5, Raincoat Cid from FF6, or his other versions. It's seems to be par for the course I suppose.

I haven't seen Brotherhood
, but that sounds fantastic.

Brotherhood/Platinum Demo/Chapter 0:
As a child Noctis was attacked and seriously wounded by Marilith and Regis saved him. The Platinum Demo takes place while he's knocked out/recovering from his wounds after the attack.
Or at least that's my understanding.

Squire

Banned
As a child Noctis was attacked and seriously wounded by Marilith and Regis saved him. The Platinum Demo takes place while he's knocked out/recovering from his wounds after the attack.

Ah, yeah that's perfect.

oimori

Guess:

Chapter 0 is you playing as Regis and his friends.

I actually can't think of a better way they could mention that stuff in the game itself.

Xenoblade chronicles vibe is real

tbh, I feel like this game will be a spiritual successor of XBC(massive world with awesome beautiful art direction to explore but narrative driven JRPG)

Philippo

Yup i imagine
the boss fight is Regis vs Marilith

giphy.gif

I'm thoroughly disappointed Cindy didn't inherit her mechanic fashion sense from her grandfather. I was hoping the bikini-short-platform boots combo was family tradition passed down from generation to generation. Gosh darn-it, Cid, what you're wearing is downright... practical.

(Seriously, it's nice to see Cid.)

This might be my first Final Fantasy game.

This never gets old, all the drive by "This might be my first FF game" is both reassuring for the series future, but at the same time, makes me realize how much of an FF nerd I am having played all of them to some degree.

i knew gaf had graphics whores, but this is ridiculous....

you would think "Pre-Beta Footage" AND the preface from GI would be enough

I was going through this thread before seeing the video, so i saw several gifs and thought ''what are people complaining about? This looks absolutely fine.'' but i forgot how you really aren't going to see nasty stuff like aliasing and a low IQ on a small gif. So i then watched the video and sadly...i can only agree with the complaints. It really doesn't look too hot at all in terms of image quality. It has its moments, but most of it really doesn't look that good at all. A far cry from how clean and crisp Witcher 3 looks for example.

The part with the field, if we compare that to the Duscae demo, the demo looked more crisp if you ask me. Something really off in this new footage. Good thing it's from an older build though. Should hopefully mean a much more pleasant overall picture in full game.

Infest

Because so many here seem to not know:
Yes, Final Fantasy XV will come with multiple dubs. The EU version for example will come with Japanese, English, German and French voices on the disc.

I noticed there was a fuel gauge in the video. I wonder how that's gonna work exactly. What if you run out of gas nowhere near a gas station? Will you have to walk to the gas station, get gas, then take it back to the car? lol TOO REALISTIC! :p

Philippo

I noticed there was a fuel gauge in the video. I wonder how that's gonna work exactly. What if you run out of gas nowhere near a gas station? Will you have to walk to the gas station, get gas, then take it back to the car? lol TOO REALISTIC! :p

No you actually have to push the car.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

I think you can call Cindy.

2016-04-0701_48_56-23v6r3f.png

Squire

Banned
No you actually have to push the car.

If they're smart, that's not something you're really going to do past the intro. You probably have to get gas if you want to keep driving, but fast-travel points should make backtracking much less of an issue. You probably have a gas can, too.

Edit: Calling Cindy makes sense. Cid probably owns a chain that's analogous to AAA or whatever you guys have in Europe.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Because so many here seem to not know:
Yes, Final Fantasy XV will come with multiple dubs. The EU version for example will come with Japanese, English, German and French voices on the disc.

I'm okay with this!

AerialAir

Banned
The only thing that is worse is the image quality & framerate. They need some better AA in there. Otherwise the graphics have seen some improvements. And IQ & performance are exactly the kind of things they can & always do work on during the last months of development. Remember how DriveClub still looked at E3 2014 (very rought IQ), then (less than) 6 months later it's like a whole other game.

I hope they do fix this in time for release, this game wasn't very appealing to me, but the more I see from the more I like it, though if graphical problems similar to te platinum demo exist in the final build, it'll probably push me and many other people away from the game.

Exentryk

Outside of one part in the video I don't find this looks worse than Duscae.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This pre-beta build was completed last year where their focus was on getting the game completely playable from beginning to end with all mechanics in place.

Couple of colleagues just asked what this was, and that it looks great. They're not gamers. I told them it is FFXV and that you can run around and explore cool locations, and fight that "bird" and various other enemies any time you wish. One of them joked that the bird is airborne and you can't attack it. I then told him you can teleport to it, and he was like no way, haha.

Did GI mention if what they played was English dubbed? Curious where they are at with that and if the English voice cast is still terrible.

It was neat when they appeared in FFIX. Hopefully they are in the game somewhere and not just the anime.

Yeah, I hope we fight it or see more. This world of Eos really IS a modern setting based in a classic FF world. Turn back the clock 500 years or more and Black Mages might've been wandering around the lands and such.

I'm also wondering, in the last segment of the Tabata video, we see the four arrive at the outskirts of Insomnia, on a hill, overlooking the capital and it's long bridge. Reminds me of something:

latest

I'd get choked up if a rendition of the Final Fantasy Theme plays at this part of the game. There are only 3 FF games where the Final Fantasy Theme(Prologue to some) plays in the beginning of the game(as opposed to the majority, in which it plays at the end), FFI, FFIII and FFIV. I always though more should do this, as it sets up the adventure pretty nicely, and when it's played again at the end, ties the game up in a nice little bow.

Aters

Anyone has identified what the monster is at 3:57?

You'd think monsters live in desert would have thinner fur.

edit: oh it's that big bird

I'd get choked up if a rendition of the Final Fantasy Theme plays at this part of the game. There are only 3 FF games where the Final Fantasy Theme(Prologue to some) plays in the beginning of the game(as opposed to the majority, in which it plays at the end), FFI, FFIII and FFIV. I always though more should do this, as it sets up the adventure pretty nicely, and when it's played again at the end, ties the game up in a nice little bow.
FFXII has it in the beginning too I think?

Yeah, I hope we fight it or see more. This world of Eos really IS a modern setting based in a classic FF world. Turn back the clock 500 years or more and Black Mages might've been wandering around the lands and such.

I'm also wondering, in the last segment of the Tabata video, we see the four arrive at the outskirts of Insomnia, on a hill, overlooking the capital and it's long bridge. Reminds me of something:

latest

The Final Fantasy Theme is so underused. It is Final Fantasy distilled into a triumphant anthem filled with hope, determination, and a sense of adventure with your allies against the forces of evil.

(Drops mic)

latest

Hear hear! These are the kind of callbacks I want in FF. Not just random citations (oh look, a cactuar doll!), but actual plot relevant moments that have continuity with series roots. Not just copies either, but moments where the game is doing its own thing, but that thing can be seen as part of a long lineage.

This is what I like so much about the GI cover art - framed picture of Regis and co as four warriors of light juxtaposed with the generational transition between Regis and Noctis.

Top Bottom