• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analoge sticks on next gen handhelds

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The thing is, neither the PSP nor the Nintendo DS have double analoge sticks, yet they offer 3D graphics which means they could handle FPSs or third person action games.
But how are we gonna play them? Or rotate the camera in them? The stylus solution (Metroid - NDS) seems stupid and strafing with the shoulder buttons isn't nice either. I know there are a couple of FPS in development for PSP but I'm still wondering how they will play.

While I'm aware a solution could be found (Metroid Prime style?), don't you think this is a limitation?

Gattsu25

Banned
for FPS games: strafing can be done on the shoulder buttons...or adopt a MDK control scheme (Triangle is move forward, X is back, Box is strafe left, and Circle is strafe right)

or they can pull off a hybrid scheme like Metroid Prime (GC) does

other games are likely to have a 'camera snap' button that snaps the camera behind the character (while holding button you can manipulate it) or simply use the D-Pad for camera functions

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Gattsu25 said:
for FPS games: strafing can be done on the shoulder buttons...or adopt a MDK control scheme (Triangle is move forward, X is back, Box is strafe left, and Circle is strafe right)

yeah, I though about it, but still you lose the analoge sensibility using digital buttons. For example, you can move forward but cannot decide how fast you move. Maybe developers will adopt some kind of progressive acceleration system where the moment you press the forward button you don't go full speed immediately. But then again you cannot get you ass out of hot situations as fast as you may wish.

other games are likely to have a 'camera snap' button that snaps the camera behind the character (while holding button you can manipulate it) or simply use the D-Pad for camera functions

Sure. But still I find hard to see how a game like PSi-Ops could play on PSP for example.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MrPing1000 said:
theres fps for the gba u know

I've yet to try one of them myself. How do they play? Do they offer the same degree of pitch and yaw freedom/accuracy console games do?

mr2mike

Banned
it's not complicated, as was previousely said, you map fowards/back and strafe to the action button, mouselook to the analog stick, triggers on triggers and you can map what commands you have left to directions on the d-pad.

This configuration was working well before analog sticks came around.

rastex

Banned
Just think of the PSP as an N64 controller, and arguably one of the greatest FPS' of all time was on the N64. Dual-analogue while extremely nice is not 100% necessary.

I'm certain that at least Microsoft and Sony will not drop dual sticks. If you do that, then in an FPS game you cannot move your character at varying degrees of speed because the one stick is tied up with the looking.

Since there is one stick on the PSP (right?) it can still do a an FPS but you'll have to move laterally with your right hand (reversed from Halo standard) or use a Goldeneye setup (shudder).

If somebody makes an FPS worth playing on the PSP then I'm confident that a workable control scheme will be provided, but those who learned with Halo are going to have to learn some more.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I know nintendo loves their d-pad and everything, but an NGP-style stick on the DS would have been nice.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
yeah, I though about it, but still you lose the analoge sensibility using digital buttons. For example, you can move forward but cannot decide how fast you move
Yeah, but is that really a big deal? MDK (Dreamcast) is, in my opinion, the best FPS control method for one analog stick controller. Btw, maybe PSP will have analog front buttons so you will be able to adjust walking speed?

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Am I the only one who finds the PSP analog stick to be basically useless? To begin with, it's in an awful location. In order to use it, you either have to twist your thumb in a really awkward way or hold the console with the tips of your fingers. Neither way is really workable. Plus, the stick itself sucks. There's very little room for movement and it's extremely small.

Did anyone else mess with it at e3 and find it to be suitable for any kind of twitch action gameplay? Shit, I had trouble moving the camera around with in that MGS demo.

On a similar subject, I was surprised to see how great the Tapwave Zodiac's analog stick actually is. They had one on display at CompUSA and I found it incredibly nice for a handheld.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Am I the only one who finds the PSP analog stick to be basically useless? To begin with, it's in an awful location. In order to use it, you either have to twist your thumb in a really awkward way or hold the console with the tips of your fingers.
If I hold my PDA horizontally, I find it really easy to reach those buttons that are basically at the same position as the PSP's analog stick. Where's the problem? Also, considering the way it works (sliding, not tilting) would it really make any difference if the button was bigger?

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Marconelly said:
If I hold my PDA horizontally, I find it really easy to reach those buttons that are basically at the same position as the PSP's analog stick. Where's the problem?

Well, I don't know what your PDA looks like but there is some difference to being able to press a button and manipulate and analog stick. For instance, I might be able to hit the black and white buttons on an S-type controller but it would be pretty difficult to use an analog stick that was placed in the same position.

The problem is that aside from being near the bottom of the unit, it's also close to the edge. Like I said, I might be alone on this but during my short playtime with it, I found it to be a problem.

Top Bottom