• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo & PlayStation Legacy Handhelds need remaster love too.

Too many to count but when you realize that many PSP, Vita, DS, and 3DS only suffer from low resolution, ( and minor gameplay features like dual analog support) many of these games can could be on par if not better than some modern mobile games.

What are some Handheld games that would look good remastered?

Solatorobo: Red The Hunter​

Metroid Prime Hunters​

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I fucking LOVED Solatorobo... the issue is that it would be really hard to get the same sort of magic outside of the DS...

The first time I saw it using both screens for full gameplay and cutscenes I knew it was made for the DS. Its the same way that the world ends with you feels far less intresting to play off the DS.

Would love to see it but I kind of feel the magic would be lost.

joedan

Interestingly enough I’ve never played the 3DS version, but from what I’ve heard of the game and the controls I’d happily buy a remake of Kid Icarus.

I just beat Soma Bringer, there's a fan translation. I didn't think it was great, but it's an 8/10 game that's probably way better if you play it multiplayer (gameplay is similar to Diablo). It was the first game Monolith Soft made post-Nintendo acquisition and the last game they did before Xenoblade Chronicles, and it never came out in America. Might be a good pick for a first-ever worldwide release.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
We got Loco-Roco and Patapon for PS4 so I'm covered for Sony titles. I would love Falcom's RPGs to be released for consoles though (Ys Chronicles, VI) and some Lunar remake love. PSP also has the best version of Final Fantasy IV imo.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Yeah, plenty of portable games could use remasters. There are two Kingdom Hearts games on DS, 358/2 Days and re:coded (lmao those are silly titles ain't they), but they were only included in the HD collections as remastered cutscenes. Freedom Wars on PS Vita really ought to be brought to TVs and PCs. That's one of those games where as I play, I'm craving to switch to mouse and keyboard.

Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron & Elite Squadron, both on PSP, in some ways improve on the previous Battlefronts. They're both fully feature-rich sequels to BF1 & 2, with new additions such as customization, and a real storyline in their campaigns, especially for Elite Squadron, which chronicles a Jedi's clone from the Clone Wars to beyond the Galactic Civil War. If you've seen the leaked gameplay and cutscenes for Battlefront III, you've already had a taste of Elite Squadron, which is what BF3 became. Rahm Kota, from The Force Unleashed, also makes an appearance. These two really ought to be remastered in HD.

Borderlands 2 for PS Vita should be remastered cuz it'd be funny

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
DS/3DS is a little tough because when the dual screens were used properly, the games had some features and/or a peculiar charm that can’t be properly replicated on a different hardware. Games like 999 are simply built around the dual screen concept. Sure, you can replace the basic functions with something that works just as well for the user, but something will get lost in the translation.
I agree with the general sentiment, though. There’s too much good stuff locked on old handhelds.

KXVXII9X

Yeah, plenty of portable games could use remasters. There are two Kingdom Hearts games on DS, 358/2 Days and re:coded (lmao those are silly titles ain't they), but they were only included in the HD collections as remastered cutscenes. Freedom Wars on PS Vita really ought to be brought to TVs and PCs. That's one of those games where as I play, I'm craving to switch to mouse and keyboard.

Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron & Elite Squadron, both on PSP, in some ways improve on the previous Battlefronts. They're both fully feature-rich sequels to BF1 & 2, with new additions such as customization, and a real storyline in their campaigns, especially for Elite Squadron, which chronicles a Jedi's clone from the Clone Wars to beyond the Galactic Civil War. If you've seen the leaked gameplay and cutscenes for Battlefront III, you've already had a taste of Elite Squadron, which is what BF3 became. Rahm Kota, from The Force Unleashed, also makes an appearance. These two really ought to be remastered in HD.

Borderlands 2 for PS Vita should be remastered cuz it'd be funny
I'm with you on Freedom Wars on PSVita! I also would kill to have Soul Sacrifice fully remastered or as a remake. That game is the most fun I've had with a game. I also wouldn't mind a PS5/PC version of Killzone Mercenaries and Uncharted Golden Abyss with HD/4K textures and 60+ fps updates.

Doom85

The Vita got some port love. Persona 4 Golden recently, and also Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Danganronpa 1 and 2, and Zero Escape: VLR off the top of my head. There are some still not ported from it though like Freedom Wars.

Begleiter

I remember thinking it was insane that even companies like Sega, who love having their stuff on every platform under the sun, had left the Sonic Advance games on the GBA. Only Konami seem to have made any effort to go back recently.

Dream-Knife

Banned
They are better than mobile games for sure, but that's by design. These aren't f2p easily monetized games designed for horrible touch controls (DS games not withstanding).

Top Bottom