• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysis of all Edge magazine scores

I thought it was interesting that people claimed Edge "used the entire scale" moreso than Gamespot or IGN, even though that didn't really appear to be the case based on most of their recent monthly scores. Thanks to this link, I was able to do a brief analysis of their review scores, and not surprisingly, the results weren't all that different from Gamespot or IGN's (from this thread)
Code:
SCORE   FREQUENCY
       1  1
       2  23
       3  56
       4  126
       5  248
       6  398
       7  514
       8  448
       9  131
      10  6

Mean: 6.544
edge.JPG

What are your thoughts on this? (Besides that I need a life)

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I find it interesting. Do edge review more games than ign and gamespot, since the games that get 8 in ign and gamespot usually get 6 or 7 in edge. what games are pulling the top tier here....

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It isn't perfect, but it looks a lot more evenly distributed to me. Isn't the average like a full half-point lower?

lilltias

Wollan said:
I am very sure it got a 9 or 8. I have the mag(though not right here).

SUPER MARIO 64 N64 Nintendo Nintendo
10 E35

GRAN TURISMO PlayStation Sony Polyphony Digital
10 E55

GRAN TURISMO (PAL) PlayStation SCEE Polyphony Digital
10 E59

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: OCARINA OF TIME N64 Nintendo Nintendo
10 E66

HALO Xbox Microsoft Bungie
10 E105

HALF-LIFE 2 PC Vivendi Universal Valve
10 E143

http://www.edge-online.co.uk/edgedb/index.php?err=1 Search on tens.

There you go :)

Wollan

Ok, I see. Undeserved for HL2 imo. FarCry totally took the larger wow away from HL2.
HL1 at it's time should probably have had it.

Gran Turismo is so good it deserves two 10s, hehe.

Just a note, some games in their database were listed twice (for import reviews I guess). For instance, I just noticed that they gave a 10 to Gran Turismo twice, so there should only be 5 games that got a 10 instead of 6. So my analysis might not be 100% accurate.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JonathanEx said:
Do they review every game ever though? Only then can you really expect the medium to be 5.

That's not even necessarily true, because that would assume that no game is ever held at the quality control stage due to shitty quality. And even if there was an exactly equal distribution like you're suggesting, the average would be a 5.5 since the scale is 1-10 (10+1/2 = 5.5) rather than 0-10 (10+0 / 2 = 5.0)

The only way you'd ever get an average of 5 is if you ranked every game ever from best to worst and gave the worst a 0 and the best a 10, and everything else a score relative to their position on the list.

Bebpo

Banned
Wollan said:
Ok, I see. Undeserved for HL2 imo. FarCry totally took the larger wow away from HL2.

Gran Turismo is so good it deserves two 10s, hehe.

What? Far Cry vs. HL2?

Wollan

Bebpo said:
What? Far Cry vs. HL2?

Nonono.

HL2 >>>> FarCry.

It's just that FarCry did alot of stuff HL2 did much earlier and just as good.
HL2 was an awesome game but it wasn't something like the original which made me look at games differently.

Brobzoid

looking at these scores, I feel some nintendo bias in edge :\

and are GT and GT PAL so different that they warrant two reviews?

Xrenity

Wollan said:
10 is a bit too high indeed, might be a nine, certainly better than FC imo.

I'd say Halo didn't fully deserve it too :p

mrwilt

Now can you break these scores down to each system to see which one has the better games? :lol

According to Edge, of course.

Brobzoid

mrwilt said:
Now can you break these scores down to each system to see which one has the better games? :lol

According to Edge, of course.

oh shit.- Tis on now.

bet it's a nintendo box ;)

fresquito

It's sad that Edge is only known because of their harsh reviews, when reviews are not important in the grand scheme of the magazine :-/

Brobzoid

fushi said:
http://www.edge-online.co.uk/edgedb/best.php

Edit: It's kind of broken though, on the DS side, that is.

broken, not only on the ds side. SNES has 24 reviews and PS2 has like 300... they need some sort of imdb-ish calculation there.

And what annoyes me about edge is that they don't name their reviewers, under the excuse of not wanting to create star writers...

But I doubt I'll ever agree with the entire edge staff. so I'd be pleased to find one there I'd be in agreement with.

mrwilt

Brobzoid said:
broken, not only on the ds side. SNES has 24 reviews and PS2 has like 300... they need some sort of imdb-ish calculation there.

And what annoyes me about edge is that they don't name their reviewers, under the excuse of not wanting to create star writers...

But I doubt I'll ever agree with the entire edge staff. so I'd be pleased to find one there I'd be in agreement with.

Funny. That's the exact same excuse Next Gen Magazine gave for not naming their reviewers.

Thraktor

nincompoop said:
not surprisingly, the results weren't all that different from Gamespot or IGN's (from this thread)

The difference here is that, with limited space in the magazine, Edge only publishes reviews of games they deem to be "important", which could either mean that it's a game that's had good press before release, or interesting or quirky enough to warrant judgement. Hence, they're naturally going to score higher on average, because anything that looks like shovelware simply doesn't get reviewed. If you were to only take IGN and Gamespot scores of games that were actually reviewed by Edge, then you'd see the actual difference in score distribution.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
nincompoop said:
I thought it was interesting that people claimed Edge "used the entire scale" moreso than Gamespot or IGN, even though that didn't really appear to be the case based on most of their recent monthly scores.

Tell me about it - I can't stand it when they're all like 9 8 8 8 8 7 7 as if we're in some kind of period where there are multiple genuinely superb games being released every month.

Stumpokapow said:
That's not even necessarily true, because that would assume that no game is ever held at the quality control stage due to shitty quality. And even if there was an exactly equal distribution like you're suggesting, the average would be a 5.5 since the scale is 1-10 (10+1/2 = 5.5) rather than 0-10 (10+0 / 2 = 5.0)

The only way you'd ever get an average of 5 is if you ranked every game ever from best to worst and gave the worst a 0 and the best a 10, and everything else a score relative to their position on the list.
So basically, the claim that they are crap scores can't be proved by saying the mean is around 7 and not 5, yeah?

Tiktaalik

JonathanEx said:
Do they review every game ever though? Only then can you really expect the medium to be 5.

QFT

This is what EVERYONE EVERYONE EVERYONE EVERYONE misses when they criticize game review site's scores. Do they review Catz? Barbie Horse Adventures? That's so Raven 2? No they don't.

Zenith

Banned
I'm confused as to what the point of this is. Most games in EDGE get a 7 unless it's a really big franchise. What is this supposed to tell us that we don't already know?

Vrolokus

Banned
I see what's pretty much a standard bell curve, with 7 being average.

To me, that's a very good thing. Kudos to Edge.

el Croux

Thing with Edge is, if there's a multiplatform game with an obviously better version they'll only review that one. GRAW on the 360 for example. IGN will review both 360, PC, Xbox and PS2 versions, give the PC, Xbox and PS2 versions an awful score and so lower their average mark. Same goes for games like Brothers in Arms, Splinter Cell etc etc.

Edge will only review the relevent version of that game, hence keeping their average score a little higher.

Udde

Brobzoid said:
and are GT and GT PAL so different that they warrant two reviews?

Yep. The gameplay was changed in the PAL release. The japanese version is slower, less arcade and more pleasant to drive than the PAL one IMO. I have both at 100%, and if I had to choose one, it will be the Japanese version. It has the original superb music and the feeling I get when playing it is just the best :)

PS: The first review was for the japanese version, I guess...

It's a lot easier to rate something from 6 to 10 then it is to rate it 1 through 5. Most games are built with some kind of good intention and usually not too many flaws are left in the final product. That fact and knowing that Edge usually doesn't review half-assed budget titles makes me believe that they are the best at accurate reviews.

winter

Both HL2 and Halo definitely deserved 10s.

HL2 provided the most gripping and cinematic singleplayer ever in an FPS and integrated physics into gameplay like no other game before it.

Halo still has the best the AI and most dynamic battles in an FPS. Halo's AI still embarasses other games.

Udde said:
Yep. The gameplay was changed in the PAL release. The japanese version is slower, less arcade and more pleasant to drive than the PAL one IMO. I have both at 100%, and if I had to choose one, it will be the Japanese version. It has the original superb music and the feeling I get when playing it is just the best :)

PS: The first review was for the japanese version, I guess...

I remember reading the PAL GT was sped up, but I always thought it was for pal conversion issues. Now that you say it, the last time I played my old PSone GT I was surprised at how fast it was, much more than its PS2 counterparts. The jap version was like PS2's PAL GT releases, then? (speed-wise)

edit: btw... bamdal, no? :lol

Udde

ichigo kurosaki said:
The jap version was like PS2's PAL GT releases, then? (speed-wise)

edit: btw... bamdal, no? :lol

Yes, it is more or less like the ps2's releases.

PS: sip, aunque poquito ya... >_<

Wollan

What music did the japanese GT have?

GT(pal) was the first game that truly sold me on having a licensed music track. I even went out and bought the cd.

mrwilt said:
Funny. That's the exact same excuse Next Gen Magazine gave for not naming their reviewers.
It's no coincidence because Next Gen was the US edition of Edge. Don't know if they had the exact same staff though

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
interesting, but id love to see a breakdown via VENN DIAGRAMS!!!!! of scores and their correlation to what country developed them.....

Top Bottom