• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread New OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragmire

Okay, I just got an Evo on Tuesday and I've been consulting this thread for new games. I just want to thank people for these recommendations: Meganoid, Robot Unicorn Attack (played it online when it came out but would never have thought to look for it in the Market if not for this thread), Toki Tori, Pew Pew, 180 and Cyberlords. I also came across and enjoyed Lame Castle, Grisly Manor (free Amazon App game for one day), and Arcade by Kongregate (400+ games from the Kongregate site!). I'm also using ScummVM and trying aDosBox. The App store might have better games, but I never owned an iPhone or iPod Touch and this is by far better than anything I've done with my phones before. I used to have a Blackberry. :p

wondermega

If you missed this game re-posting on a previous page, here's the QR code again for 180.

gQf39h

Android Market Link

We released an update late yesterday which will run a lot smoother on older handsets which might have been hitting a performance wall with the previous version.

If you have a higher-end phone and it is still autodetecting a lower setting, you can try manually forcing to a higher resolution by hitting the menu button (during title screen I believe)

this will cycle through Force SD, Force HD, and Force Auto-detect ("factory setting")

EDIT: to make the adjustment "take" you need to Force Stop the app (even if you've quit out of it). Android/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/180/Force Stop

Menelaus

Banned
Dragmire said:
Okay, I just got an Evo on Tuesday and I've been consulting this thread for new games. I just want to thank people for these recommendations: Meganoid, Robot Unicorn Attack (played it online when it came out but would never have thought to look for it in the Market if not for this thread), Toki Tori, Pew Pew, 180 and Cyberlords. I also came across and enjoyed Lame Castle, Grisly Manor (free Amazon App game for one day), and Arcade by Kongregate (400+ games from the Kongregate site!). I'm also using ScummVM and trying aDosBox. The App store might have better games, but I never owned an iPhone or iPod Touch and this is by far better than anything I've done with my phones before. I used to have a Blackberry. :p
Shameless plug

Been playing Paradise Island for about a week, enjoying it but I wish there was a paid-for version that would do away with the need of buying in-game credits and speed up the gameplay.

Shame that there aren't more Theme Hospital/Park type management games on the Marketplace, I'd happily chuck a few $/£ the developers way. I guess its just a case of waiting for the marketplace to mature.

Also been playing Pirates and Traders, great little Sid Meier's Pirates! wannabe but £3.38 for the full game? For that money I'd expect an official Sid Meier's Pirates! Android game :p

W1SSY

sionyboy said:
Been playing Paradise Island for about a week, enjoying it but I wish there was a paid-for version that would do away with the need of buying in-game credits and speed up the gameplay.

Shame that there aren't more Theme Hospital/Park type management games on the Marketplace, I'd happily chuck a few $/£ the developers way. I guess its just a case of waiting for the marketplace to mature.

Also been playing Pirates and Traders, great little Sid Meier's Pirates! wannabe but £3.38 for the full game? For that money I'd expect an official Sid Meier's Pirates! Android game :p
Kairo Games the people behind Game Dev Story released Hot Springs Story on android the other day. It is a sim of a sort with you having to manage a spa. Nothing like Pirates or SimCity but still a small scale sim type game.

W1SSY said:
Kairo Games the people behind Game Dev Story released Hot Springs Story on android the other day. It is a sim of a sort with you having to manage a spa. Nothing like Pirates or SimCity but still a small scale sim type game.
Oooooh, will check out now. Cheers!

Edit: No trial version? Boo!

W1SSY

macfoshizzle said:
i just got hot springs story from the devs who made game dev story. good stuff!
I picked it up the other day and played it a little. I quickly found out I will need to start over when I do play so I can plan it out better.

W1SSY

sionyboy said:

Sadly no it does not have a trial. They do have one for the iphone so hopefully they will bring a lite version to the android market.

wondermega

sionyboy said:

yeah, it should be a good barometer for what's to come of the market attitude if this game actually sells on this device like it did on iPhone-

SumGamer

Just download lot of games mentioned. Thanks, I can never find any of these in Market LOL.

Worms, BeJeweled 2, and Archmage are the only three games I keep in my NexusOne's tiny internal memory

andycapps

abstract alien said:
Grisly Manor was just getting good, then bam...it ended suddenly :^/

I got that, haven't checked it out yet. Maybe if enough people check it out they'll add some levels or do a sequel.

andycapps

So, I finally got Game Dev Story last night, I think that was a very bad mistake. I think I played 2 hours at least on that yesterday. So addictive. Very worthwhile for the price, I think it's about $2.50 now with a sale on the Android Market.

Tymerend

I love Game Dev Story. I just can't start playing too late at night, or I'll find myself wanting to make 'Just one more game, that's it, then sleep.' It never works that way.

Also, Amazon has Majesty for free today. Great game!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Tymerend said:
I love Game Dev Story. I just can't start playing too late at night, or I'll find myself wanting to make 'Just one more game, that's it, then sleep.' It never works that way.

How do I download stuff from Amazon without a credit card? I'm interested in free stuff only anyway

andycapps

Tymerend said:

I did that last night.. twice. I intended on playing for 5 minutes, both times I think 45 minutes passed before I could put it down, and even then it was like a crack addict trying to walk away from a good hit (or so I guess it would be).

W1SSY

Yea Game Dev story is one game that I can say I really enjoy on my phone. I haven't played it in awhile though because on my captivate it would slow down randomly which should have not been happening and did not happen with anything else on my phone.

andycapps

W1SSY said:
Yea Game Dev story is one game that I can say I really enjoy on my phone. I haven't played it in awhile though because on my captivate it would slow down randomly which should have not been happening and did not happen with anything else on my phone.

Strange, no slowdowns or anything on my EVO. It's actually not too bad on my battery life either. Doesn't seem like it's a very demanding game, which probably helps that.

KiKaL

I checked out Deathworm after YooPoo's recommendation and have to second it. It's a lot of fun. It makes me feel like I am playing a Tremors game.

Chairhome

JWong said:
No posts since my last? Are there any point-click adventure games like the good ol' Lucasart days?
If you want to play those games, you can also use ScummVM for Android (if you have access to the games). They also have a few free Scumm games, too.

JWong

Banned
Chairhome said:
If you want to play those games, you can also use ScummVM for Android (if you have access to the games). They also have a few free Scumm games, too.
Well, I don't want to replay games. Was hoping there was something new.

wondermega

My friend is shooting a food truck documentary, during which he got a little footage of me talking about the trials and tribulations of trying to develop an independent Android game - and so, for your amusement here's the clip -> pow

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So I finally got my hand on an Android phone - the HTC Thunderbolt. Haven't really checked out much of the games on there... can anybody recommend some quality turn-based RPGs? I just downloaded Gailardia based on this thread but haven't tried it yet.

Also any good Japanese-developed games? Or point-and-click adventures (specifically stuff like the oldskool Lucasarts games, Sierra games, Myst, etc)

Fox Mulder

hot springs story is $1.28 right now. It's listed as $4.95, but when you get to the checkout screen, it's at the reduced price. I loved Game Dev Story, and figured I'd bite at this price.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Is there a game out there similar to Hot Spring Story with good production values? I'm talking a touch-focused interface, pixel graphics graphics scaled for high resolution phones, pinch to zoom, etc.

I hate that only half the screen is used up for the game itself on my 7" tablet.

Xenon

I found a great little time sink that is cross between a dungeon crawler and minesweeper, DungeonSweeper. If you have ever been hooked on minesweeper it’s a must play. The tiles are color coded and pretty easy to figure out but I’ll list the important ones below. The goal is to…um I guess keep playing. The game does keep your highest stats and score. The problem is it doesn’t give the score after you die so Im not sure what’s the point of keeping track of it. I’ve been content with just trying to get farther down in the dungeon.

I hope this guy makes a sequel because with a little more meat this game would be perfect.

Tiles

Red + # = the number of monsters touching the square(only monsters)
Yellow + # = the number of chests touching the square(only chests)
Brown + # = the number of a comination of chests and monsters touching the square
Blue = Touching stairs only
Purple, green, white = combination of stairs and other objects.

294q5xd.jpg
2sbo9xl.jpg

Mest30

Banned
Anyone play 3d basketball shot by creative mobile? Its way better than the basketball shot game shown on the first page of this thread. And the online challenges are addicting as hell. If anyone plays, send me a challenge. My username there is also mest30.

Hey guys, for the past 30 days I've been working extremely hard on this project and I've finally released it on the market today. It's called Scavenger. Similar to Arkanoid and Shatter. I kept it simple because I want to test the market initially, but it's still quite fun and addictive, looks good and runs very smooth too.

check it out
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rfs.scavengertrial

Check it out! Spread the word! Hopefully this can lead to making more, better mobile games in the future (oh please oh please I don't want to go back to work in a big studio again).

Bit-Bit

NinjaCodah said:
Hey guys, for the past 30 days I've been working extremely hard on this project and I've finally released it on the market today. It's called Scavenger. Similar to Arkanoid and Shatter. I kept it simple because I want to test the market initially, but it's still quite fun and addictive, looks good and runs very smooth too.

check it out

Check it out! Spread the word! Hopefully this can lead to making more, better mobile games in the future (oh please oh please I don't want to go back to work in a big studio again).

I'll give it a try later tonight and let you know.

.GqueB.

Banned
KiKaL said:
I checked out Deathworm after YooPoo's recommendation and have to second it. It's a lot of fun. It makes me feel like I am playing a Tremors game.
You ever have an issue with the screen cutting off while youre playing? I wanna love this game but this is very very irritating.

kinggroin

Banned
NinjaCodah said:

check it out

Just tried it. Not a bad effort at all. Maybe work on upping the visual complexity a bit? Exaggerate on the particles for each broken block so that the more you progress, the more you have to concentrate on the ball. Add some status changers that maybe cause the paddle to vanish for a limited time. Maybe another that enlsrges or shrinks the ball/paddle. Or one that speed gameplsy up.Add chaining for similar colors broken.

Can't wait to see where this goes.

wondermega

NinjaCodah said:

check it out

Sounds cool, I will give it a try :)

kinggroin said:
Just tried it. Not a bad effort at all. Maybe work on upping the visual complexity a bit? Exaggerate on the particles for each broken block so that the more you progress, the more you have to concentrate on the ball. Add some status changers that maybe cause the paddle to vanish for a limited time. Maybe another that enlsrges or shrinks the ball/paddle. Or one that speed gameplsy up.Add chaining for similar colors broken.

Would like to add - lots of explosions and colours and stuff would be good. Something like the Extreme Fever part of Peggle crossed with some messed up anime would be awesome! It's even better when these at first appear apparently randomly, but then after a while you figure out that you're unlocking them somehow.

Also the chaining colours idea above is great....

kinggroin said:

Hey thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, like i said, it's still a bit early. I just wanted to finally get it out there, with the basic mechanics working. I've had a bunch of ideas already, I wanted to stay somewhat away from the typical tile breaker game mechanics from the other games. I figured I'd just release something that you can play to chill at first, nothing too complicated. But adding new game mechanics and effects is actually going to be the easiest part for me now. The hardest part was figuring out, and working around, all the quirks that make Android development such a pain in the ass at times. I've worked on many platforms before and I can't say that I'm a fan of Android's tool chain. I can't say I enjoy mixing my C++ with Java either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom